What's wrong with yours?

mik

Re: What's wrong with yours?

Post by mik »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 am The funny thing is, I've been intermittently been using the TVR for longer journeys as the currently most reliable car in the fleet!
8-)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:32 pm Vibration under braking but brakes check out ok. Suggestions from garage are a tyre that is worn more than the opposite side but I can't see how that would only manifest under braking and not all the time.
Ball joint
Ah OK, is that something that would fail over time or could a pothole cause it? It came on quite suddenly is the reason I'm asking.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Definitely not pad deposits? Would seem more likely than a balljoint, esp at that age.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 pm Definitely not pad deposits? Would seem more likely than a balljoint, esp at that age.
I dunno, the garage said the brakes were fine so I'm assuming not.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The brakes were fine, or the brakes looked fine? You won't see pad deposits but you'll sure as hell feel them when you brake.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Pad deposits are usually what people actually have when they think they've got warped discs.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Correcto. And now to link the one article everyone links to try and explain it:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ther-myths
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

If you think it's pad deposits, go and give it a couple of big hard stops (after warming up the brakes first, or course) and see if it improves. I had assumed when you said the garage had checked, we had already ruled out pads/discs/caliper mounts.

And yes, ball joint-based vibration can come on quite quickly. Get the front end in the air and go over the major suspension joints with a tommy bar and see if you can find any movement.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The ML needs the headlining dropping so I can fix the hydraulic ram leak for the tailgate.

The Defender needs a chassis section replacing, front pinion shaft seal doing and a new rear diff cover Inhave fitting.

The 500e, lots of jobs I want to do but only NEEDS a hydraulic leak in the rear suspension looked at.

The TT is absolutely fine but suspension needs going over as it’s a bit tired. Annoyingly I managed to lose the locking wheelnut key.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 pm The BMW's auto headlights seem overly keen to switch on and stay on. Driving to work this morning, bright sunshine, the lights stayed on all the way.

Yes, I could have turned them off, but I was curious to see if/when the car would figure it out. It didn't.

Then it worked fine (i.e. they stayed off) when I went out for lunch.

(this is separate to the DRLs)
This is normal, all mine and my dads BMWs with auto lights have put them on in bright sunlight. I looked into it and found it was a safety thing.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 am If you think it's pad deposits, go and give it a couple of big hard stops (after warming up the brakes first, or course) and see if it improves. I had assumed when you said the garage had checked, we had already ruled out pads/discs/caliper mounts.

And yes, ball joint-based vibration can come on quite quickly. Get the front end in the air and go over the major suspension joints with a tommy bar and see if you can find any movement.
Tried the big hard stops earlier and the vibration has increased significantly. I don’t have any equipment to look at bits myself so I’ll have to get it booked in again.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Front ball joint or trackrod end needs doing in the Impreza, I'll get this booked in when i have the new exhaust (Prodrive centre section and downpipe with sport cat) and maybe a bigger turbo and get them all fitted at the same time.
Navara still needs the the cruise sorting as it hasn't worked in a while. I've changed the clock spring and tested both the clutch and neutral switch so it can only be a brake switch or something major. It also needs a ball joint doing.

Carl.
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

MX5 developed a stuck OS front calliper on way to office last week, managed 2 miles before returning for tin top daily.
Parked it up and made sure it was only smoke and no flames coming from the brakes before giving it a stern talking to and threatening eBay. Home that evening and it had fixed it’self.

Got to love the MX5

Merc should arrive on Thursday next week
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got a bit of a squeak on some bumps and humps from the rear. Haven't got around to clearing the boot out and going for a test drive yet (in case it's just something stupid) because it's not affecting anything, it's just a bit annoying.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

MAF or head unit.
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pmMAF or head unit.
Don't be a numpty. It's obviously chassis rust.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

It must be coincidence but since coming back from having a new washer pump, the wipers on the BMW squeak as they come to rest in intermittent mode. No squeaking from them when blasting the screenwash or blipping the stalk for a single wipe. Weird.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I finally got to the bottom of the wiper problem on the Clio - it was a very slightly bad earth on the plug to the motor. Resistance to the body was showing at just less than one ohm, but it was enough to cause the wipers to go lazy/get stuck. Easy enough fix - just spliced into the wire and added an extra connection to one of the motor mounting bolts. Job jobbed.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Oh, and the Disco is now back to full health. In fact better than full health. First time I drove it post HG replacement, it pulled super hard, kicked out a massive black cloud of smoke and the EGTs went through the roof. Turn down the fueling, methinks.
Even with the fueling turned back down, it's still pulling stronger than before, but with zero haze, and the EGTs climb more slowly. And it hunts less at low revs. Great news all round!
Not quite sure what's behind the improvement (high compression from the skim? fixed slightly sticky injector?) but I'll happily take it. Oh, and I replaced a dodgy glowplug in there too, so it doesn't do its little puff of smoke on startup any more.

Ended up costing me just under £300 all in for the whole job - £15 for the water pump, £20 for a local garage to do a sniff test, £25 for the new gasket, £80 for the skim (inc stripping all the oil pipes and injectors that I was too lazy to do), £5 for the glow plug and £150 for somebody to put it all back together for me.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

It is a rare and wondrous moment - all the cars are fully functional again :D Even better, TVR and Westie now have 13 months of MOT on them as well, and the Jag got sorted for under £150 (I was bracing myself for 10x that) - it turned out to be a wheel bearing after all, even though I'd only just changed both rears.

So, outstanding niggly jobs:
TVR - air con condenser replacement
Jag - clean up windscreen washer pump wiring (hopefully just the contacts)
Westie - fit new tyres, change gearbox oil, do a better job of the emergency chassis repair I did before the last trackday
Disco - fix rattle in one front speaker, fix central locking actuator on drivers door, make a new rear mud guard bracket