Hybrid batteries

V8Granite

Re: Hybrid batteries

Post by V8Granite »

simon_g wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am
GG. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:06 am Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?
Because most driving is dull shit, and these sorts of cars are very good at that stuff. And if they hasten the death of diesels that can only be a good thing.

But a dull drive is made worse by a dull car.

A dull journey can be improved by a fun car/engine and made to be enjoyable.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Prediction : unanimous agreement reached on this issue by the end of this page.
Simon

Post by Simon »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 pm
simon_g wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am
GG. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:06 am Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?
Because most driving is dull shit, and these sorts of cars are very good at that stuff. And if they hasten the death of diesels that can only be a good thing.

But a dull drive is made worse by a dull car.

A dull journey can be improved by a fun car/engine and made to be enjoyable.

Dave!
Only to a point. When I'm stuck in a queue on the M25 because some utter cockwomble has been scratching their vagina rather than concentrating on the road ahead and consequently stuffed their rental into the back of a foreign lorry, who's driver doesn't speak a word of English and has stopped in lane two, I really don't think the wonderful snickety little gear change on a Honda Type R will make me happier than a decent wafty automatic with comfortable suspension. Sometimes we just need the best car for that moment, not the best car evar.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

A C200 is never either of those :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Really? Stuck in traffic I don't think it matters if you've got a twin turbo v6 does it?

C'mon James you're fast becoming a caricature of yourself.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I know - I'm just looking for a reaction because............I am.

I'll stop now.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I predict Simon will end up buying the highest spec C200 ever. Electric folding mirrors and all.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm Really? Stuck in traffic I don't think it matters if you've got a twin turbo v6 does it?

C'mon James you're fast becoming a caricature of yourself.
Unless you levita3 into traffic then you have to have reached there at some point.

95% of my driving is to get from A to B only, normally with kids or wife in tow. It’s the 5% and the little chances of enjoy,entbwhich make me spend the extra in cars I get enjoyment out of.

Too many spreadsheet purchases from pretend car fans.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Nic wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm I predict Simon will end up buying the highest spec C200 ever. Electric folding mirrors and all.
On a 36 month lease and then give it back in 6 months.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

PreacherCain wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm
It’s the way forward. I tend to use the LOLvo electric motor for urban stuff and the petrol engine for motorways etc. Simple enough rationale, the motor only has 100hp, the petrol engine over 300...
Which LOLvo have you got, Rob?
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Delphi wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:27 pm
PreacherCain wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm
It’s the way forward. I tend to use the LOLvo electric motor for urban stuff and the petrol engine for motorways etc. Simple enough rationale, the motor only has 100hp, the petrol engine over 300...
Which LOLvo have you got, Rob?
XC90 T8
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

If I'm buying a Porsche then I'm spending that money on something that's decent to drive, no other reason. The PHEV Porsches I've had the experience of are utterly disappointing. If I left home with a full charge, did some urban driving, got to the main roads, then onto a fun road after about 15 miles I'd have depleted the battery meaning I'm left with a massively under engined car that had no poke left to enjoy the road. Repeating the same journey and disabling EV mode to conserve the battery wasn't much better because by the time I got to the fun bits the battery depleted itself after a few miles and I'm again left with something that's got less power than a wet rag.

On top of that their regenerative system is noisy and the brake pedal varies all over the shop so you can never really tell what's going on when you're having fun, driving around town or whatever.

So why the fuck would I buy a Porsche hybrid? There are better cars out there at either being a hybrid or for driving, but combining the two is just utterly crap in my experience.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/panamera/7 ... -and-specs

Wow, not very complimentary. 285kgs extra for the hybrid gubbins?!!! 😳
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/panamera/7 ... -and-specs

Should've bought a Mercedes C200...
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/panamera/7 ... -and-specs

‘26 mpg’ real world mpg - what a total waste of time.
Simon

Post by Simon »

As ever this surely comes down to what kind of journeys you normally do? If you live within 30 miles of your office and can charge there, I expect the minimal use of the petrol engine will deliver benefits. If you were going 70-80 miles each way then just buy the diseasal. I can't imagine evo drove it sympathetically either.