Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Hit a pheasant on the way to work which broke two of the prongs which hold the lower grille to the bumper. Hopefully they'll glue back together.

Had one of those ladders that folds to a platform roll off a verge into the side of me on the way home. Pulled over as soon as it was safe and looks like one of the legs hit the side of the tyre which was a fairly lucky escape.
Cheers, Harry
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Last edited by ilmostro on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Tried to refill the screen wash on the BMW and it all pissed straight out the bottom of the car. Not just a drip, a steady flow.

Normally I'd dive straight in but the reservoir is inside the driver's wheel arch and you need to remove the wheelarch liner to even look at it. Faff. I deliberately bought from a main dealer this time so they can do it. I get to try out BMW's warranty for the first time !
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

New tyres all round on the Caterham along with some other bits and bobs mean this service is becoming rather expensive. :|
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am New tyres all round on the Caterham along with some other bits and bobs mean this service is becoming rather expensive. :|
Which tyres did you go for Duncs?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 am Tried to refill the screen wash on the BMW and it all pissed straight out the bottom of the car. Not just a drip, a steady flow.

Normally I'd dive straight in but the reservoir is inside the driver's wheel arch and you need to remove the wheelarch liner to even look at it. Faff. I deliberately bought from a main dealer this time so they can do it. I get to try out BMW's warranty for the first time !
my tuna mentioned that our F31 water reservoir has some issue with it to keep an eye on, he said it was a ball ache to sort because of its location inthe wheel arch.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

New front tyres on the 330. Managed to get c50k/5yrs out of the Vred Sessantas that were on it :shock:

Replaced with F1 GSD3 to not match the GSD2s on the rear

Hunter alignment booked for tomorrow and then that's it for spending for a while (I hope)
ste

Post by ste »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am New tyres all round on the Caterham along with some other bits and bobs mean this service is becoming rather expensive. :|
I've just bought 'new' tyres for mine too. As per usual, ZZRs, but a set of used ones off a race team for £70 for all 4. :D

They'll do me for a drift thing I have planned - wouldn't want to burn up a new full price set.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZZS. I was thinking of ZZR, but realistically I'll always do more road driving than STW. If I get a spare set of wheels I'll probably put ZZR on them though.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

ste wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:55 pm
I've just bought 'new' tyres for mine too. As per usual, ZZRs, but a set of used ones off a race team for £70 for all 4. :D

They'll do me for a drift thing I have planned - wouldn't want to burn up a new full price set.
What sizes are you using ste?

Avon zzr are one of the only tyres still made in 185 55 13 which were the original metro GTi size. Hoping they're still made when I eventually build it 😂
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bike update - got reversed into by a van last week so that needs a new mudguard - part bought being fitted on Saturday.
Golf - fitted proper vw dog guard and window blinds so it was nice a cool for the 2 days of Summer. Got a puncture Sunday - New tyre yesterday which is a bummer as only done 1500 miles on the fvcked one. Unfixable.
Mini - got the stripes replaced which look a million times betterer.

Golf is in for warranty work tomorrow for wind noise, windows not going down to same level when opened on keyfob and rusty rear hubs.
ste

Post by ste »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Avon zzr are one of the only tyres still made in 185 55 13 which were the original metro GTi size. Hoping they're still made when I eventually build it 😂
Fronts will be 185/55/13s

Currently it has 2 sets of wheels, one with Toyo 888s on and one with Yoko A021r wets, both sets in the ‘wrong’ sizes of:
F: 185/60/13
R: 205/60/13

OEM would have been Avon ACB10 and later Avon CR500 in these sizes:
F: 175/55/13
R: 205/55/13

Caterham currently fit the following sizes in both Avon ZZS and ZZR.
F: 185/55/13
R: 215/55/13

I’d have loved to try ACB10 and CR500 but they stopped making them a few years back and any stock now is expensive and getting old. They are properly light-weight and with compounds designed for such light cars. Being honest, I’m partly fitting ZZRs because they look fantastic. The wider and lower-profile dimensions look better and they fill the arches more, plus the 13” Caterham ones have barely any tread, I’ve no idea how they can be road legal but they look CAF.

Having used ZZRs as my main road tyres on the MX5 and my Elise I’m happy to use them all year round. You just need to be careful of standing water and drive with care. I intend to have the aeroscreen and no roof frame on the car anyway, so doubt I’ll be heading out in it if the weather’s too crap.

The sensible choice is probably ZZS. They’re actually the same construction and compound as ZZR and there’s hardly anything between them in lap times. The extra cuts mean they clear standing water much better too.
scotta

Post by scotta »

ste wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Fronts will be 185/55/13s

Currently it has 2 sets of wheels, one with Toyo 888s on and one with Yoko A021r wets, both sets in the ‘wrong’ sizes of:
F: 185/60/13
R: 205/60/13

OEM would have been Avon ACB10 and later Avon CR500 in these sizes:
F: 175/55/13
R: 205/55/13

Caterham currently fit the following sizes in both Avon ZZS and ZZR.
F: 185/55/13
R: 215/55/13

I’d have loved to try ACB10 and CR500 but they stopped making them a few years back and any stock now is expensive and getting old. They are properly light-weight and with compounds designed for such light cars. Being honest, I’m partly fitting ZZRs because they look fantastic. The wider and lower-profile dimensions look better and they fill the arches more, plus the 13” Caterham ones have barely any tread, I’ve no idea how they can be road legal but they look CAF.

Having used ZZRs as my main road tyres on the MX5 and my Elise I’m happy to use them all year round. You just need to be careful of standing water and drive with care. I intend to have the aeroscreen and no roof frame on the car anyway, so doubt I’ll be heading out in it if the weather’s too crap.

The sensible choice is probably ZZS. They’re actually the same construction and compound as ZZR and there’s hardly anything between them in lap times. The extra cuts mean they clear standing water much better too.
ACB10's are Formula Ford tyres - very much still in production on 13" sizes

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorspor ... ford/acb10
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 pmmy tuna mentioned that our F31 water reservoir has some issue with it to keep an eye on, he said it was a ball ache to sort because of its location in the wheel arch.
I've been looking online and actually it doesn't look *too* bad, but to do it myself I'd need to remove it to find out what's wrong, then put it all back so I can use the car while I wait for new parts to arrive, then take it out again to fix it. It should be easier to let BMW do it.

I say "should". If I want a courtesy car, they can't do it until the end of May ! The best offer without a car was the end of next week. I made a minor fuss about weather and visibility and safety and they have said they'll squeeze it in this Sat as long as I get it there for 8am. They are ordering a new pump & reservoir in preparation.

So I'm ending up in two minds about the whole thing so far.

Pro: It'll probably get new pump & reservoir, genuine BMW parts are pretty expensive, if I was DIYing it'd get cheap aftermarket and/or do some kind of bodge with silicone sealant.

Con: All in all, including my time going back & forth, and wife's time to ferry me around, and the hassle of getting there for 8am on a Saturday it would probably be easier to do it myself.

It would obviously be different if it was a major job. But small jobs, if not urgent, need to be saved up to make a bundle of work and booked in ~2 months ahead.
ste

Post by ste »

scotta wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am
ACB10's are Formula Ford tyres - very much still in production on 13" sizes

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorspor ... ford/acb10
The Caterham ones are wider than the FF ones, they're also a different construction and have the necessary markings on the sidewalls to make them road legal.

This page: http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-lega ... cb10-sport explains all about them, but what it doesn't say is that they no longer make them and any for sale are old stock. If you enquire with Avon they'll tell you they've been superceded by the ZZS and ZZR and that they've got no intention of making any more.

General Caterham / Avon info here: http://www.avonmotorsport.com/resource- ... s/caterham
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:56 am

Pro: It'll probably get new pump & reservoir, genuine BMW parts are pretty expensive, if I was DIYing it'd get cheap aftermarket and/or do some kind of bodge with silicone sealant.

Con: All in all, including my time going back & forth, and wife's time to ferry me around, and the hassle of getting there for 8am on a Saturday it would probably be easier to do it myself.

It would obviously be different if it was a major job. But small jobs, if not urgent, need to be saved up to make a bundle of work and booked in ~2 months ahead.
Probably a loose hose. I've replaced the motor myself before and it's not difficult just a little fiddly on a E90
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Oil level a little low so have ordered some of this (just 1l)
Because RACECAR (or something)
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nathan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 amProbably a loose hose...
Could well be. Judging by the rate it comes out the bottom it's not small hole, a wayward hose makes sense.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ste wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am
I read somewhere that the ZZR don't overheat as quickly on track due to the reduction in number of tread blocks?
ste

Post by ste »

That would make sense, but the reality seems to be that it doesn't really make much difference. They use the ZZS for the 420r championship and those boys don't seem to struggle with them going off.