What am I missing? £20k ish choice

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: What am I missing? £20k ish choice

Post by Rich B »

PreacherCain wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:57 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm if you’re starting out as a penny-pincher, then a proper performance saloon isn’t for you.
This is literally the second-funniest thing I’ve read on the internet all day.
its true though, no one in the history of the internet has announced their search criteria saying they’d be ok with a 2 litre engine because they’re doing lots of miles and ended up buying the 6.2litre, 10mpg, new tires twice a year performance model.

It’s two entirely different buyers and two different markets. There’s nothing wrong with it - but if you’re going to buy a C63, chances are you only want a C63 and wouldn’t even consider a C200.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's the automotive equivalent of having a drab, mundane wife but still trying to tell yourself you have a chance with the hot receptionist as you lean over her desk, trying to get a glimpse down her top, exuding what you believe to be sexual confidence and charisma - although the scuffed, grey slip-ons, the battered briefcase and the faint scent of despair and failure tell a very different story.

"I've still got it", he says under his breath as he walks away but really he knows he's lying even to himself. Where did it all go wrong? When did he become forever stranded on the sidelines of life?

There are C200 guys, then there are C63 guys.

:lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 am It's the automotive equivalent of having a drab, mundane wife but still trying to tell yourself you have a chance with the hot receptionist as you lean over her desk, trying to get a glimpse down her top, exuding what you believe to be sexual confidence and charisma - although the scuffed, grey slip-ons, the battered briefcase and the faint scent of despair and failure tell a very different story.

"I've still got it", he says under his breath as he walks away but really he knows he's lying even to himself. Where did it all go wrong? When did he become forever stranded on the sidelines of life?

There are C200 guys, then there are C63 guys.

:lol:
Perhaps if he bought her expensive gifts? Some Jimmy Choo shoes or Tiffany Jewellery - there’s a slim chance he may get to take her out (depending on how loose her morals are - hopefully very loose).... Thousands of pounds later, he’s secured dinner at the Ivy, it works a treat and lots of expensive cocktails later he manages to get her to bed in an overpriced hotel...

He thinks he’s cracked it, he wants to see her more and more, but she’s only after the money. In the meantime the mortgage isn’t getting paid and his savings are dwindling, he’s trying to live two lifestyles and not making ends meet....

She realises the cash cow can’t last and moves onto the flashy twat in sales, Mr Drab is left back where he started but with no savings and an angry wife....

😃
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That's my boy 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK I'm gonna try and draw this to a close.

Look, this isn't a moon on a stick, or a diesel golf situation.

1) I mentioned the 'C63 for a year' because I recognise that they're more expensive to run (duh!), but thought it might be fun to swallow that cost for a year and have a 'blowout' doing so, before my priorities likely change next year and I have to put my sensible hat on.

2) I wouldn't spend all my budget on a fvcking C200. You can get them for £18k, which, a) isn't a lot of money and b) is a nice place to sit and do some miles for a few years and is a perfectly respectable piece of transportation, even if it doesn't set the world on fire.

3) If I drive a C43 it'll simply confirm what I already know, that they're great to drive with a good engine etc etc. But I'd be wasting the salesman's time because it won't change the underlying issue that it'll likely wear down the inner edges of its front tyres in <10k miles, and the underlying setup is compromised. The 4-matic issue in RHD markets is a big issue for Merc. Hopefully they'll resolve it properly in the future. If only they made a RWD one!

4) Thanks to those that made some suggestions. I'll visit Vulva, re-visit BMW etc and consider some more. I really, really like the Arteon. It looks great, but unfortunately it's a 4 door so a non-starter.

5) I'll pause for thought generally I think. I'm also considering a C350e, because '270bhp' and it's a bit more interesting, and have heard back from Merc UK customer services about upcoming engines (they were useless). However, you see at Geneva Merc launched the C class facelift. The engine in the C200 is being replaced by a 1.5 turbo with 48v mild hybrid, and goes slower etc than the car it replaces so that's shit. However, the C300 is gonna be their new 2 litre with @ 250bhp and is mild hybrid as well. If that model arrives in the UK then that could be a goer.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

OK so I've got the reaction I wanted :lol:

Now, ignore all this Mercedes rubbish. If you want a nice place to be, that's called "an Audi", specifically the A7 Jobbo posted and you liked.

18k still sounds like a crazy sum of money for a C2-fucking-hundred to me, but whatevs.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Or you could just buy a Golf R estate (obviously with the pretty Pretoria optional alloys) and have fast, practical and affordable.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes. I'll revisit Audi and VW and it looks like I was wrong about the Arteon. It's shaped like a saloon but does actually have a hatch. So that's possible now too!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If you want a C200, you go out and buy one. Don’t let the mean boys stand in the way of your dreams, no matter how mediocre they are.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am I wouldn't spend all my budget on a fvcking C200. You can get them for £18k, which, a) isn't a lot of money
btw. it fucking is!
Nic

Post by Nic »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 am
Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 pm Driven no, but everything I read about all 4-matic cars, (so GLC, C43, E43, E63 etc) and the videos I've seen show the issue. It's not just about the skipping (which can only be 'mitigated by AW tyres) but the associated accelerated tyre wear. Merc themselves released a statement saying that because of the gearbox on RHD cars it means the steering geometry isn't the same as LHD cars. It's a complete bodge. I'd love a C43, seriously, but I couldn't live with such a compromised setup.
Drive one and see.
Yep drive one and you’ll find out that it’s a total load of bollocks and the car drives really well. Tyre wear is because twin turbo v6 with 4wd.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 am
Simon wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am I wouldn't spend all my budget on a fvcking C200. You can get them for £18k, which, a) isn't a lot of money
btw. it fucking is!
I've just had a lightbulb moment.

2 litre dullsville wagon, discussing plentiful budget for said death on wheels as if it's not very much.

It's SD trolling.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am 3) If I drive a C43 it'll simply confirm what I already know, that they're great to drive with a good engine etc etc. But I'd be wasting the salesman's time because it won't change the underlying issue that it'll likely wear down the inner edges of its front tyres in <10k miles, and the underlying setup is compromised. The 4-matic issue in RHD markets is a big issue for Merc. Hopefully they'll resolve it properly in the future. If only they made a RWD one!
What you need to buy is a new E63 estate and leave it in rwd mode. Sorted.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Or maybe a Tata Nano, or a McLaren P1.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

A 928 with a trailer, obvious when you think about it.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Or perhaps a Robinson R22, or an SR-71.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ooh SR-71, I want one of them. Is it possible to run one on less than £50 per month?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes, I think so. Does anyone have any real-world experience of running an SR-71 for a year?
sec

Post by sec »

No experience of the SR-71, but I would reckon something along the lines of 'If you have to ask...'.

I've heard the interior is a nice place to while away the commute though.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Plenty of buttons to play with, but does it have folding mirrors?

And essential for the plush commuter vehicle.
Cheers, Harry