What am I missing? £20k ish choice

Simon

Re: What am I missing? £20k ish choice

Post by Simon »

OK I'm gonna address the BMW thing. I specifically went to the BMW dealership (amongst others) a few weeks ago with an open mind to see what they had to offer, because yes, a 330/40 or 430/40 would make the most sense. However, in both I found the footwell offset to the right, and consequently I didn't sit 'square' in the drivers seat. It all just felt a bit odd. I could sit lovely and low in the car, and the rest of the driving position was great, but I couldn't get past sitting askew like that in what would a car to do a reasonable amount of miles in for a decent length of time.

And regarding budget, I'm definitely not going to spend all my budget on a C Class when I can pick up an early one that ticks all my boxes for about £18k.

But does anyone have any thoughts what running a C63 for a year would cost? Not a serious long term prospect but it could be a fun thing to own for a while.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Weird. That's not something I've noticed in our 420. Is it, perhaps, an X-drive thing?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm OK I'm gonna address the BMW thing. I specifically went to the BMW dealership (amongst others) a few weeks ago with an open mind to see what they had to offer, because yes, a 330/40 or 430/40 would make the most sense. However, in both I found the footwell offset to the right, and consequently I didn't sit 'square' in the drivers seat. It all just felt a bit odd. I could sit lovely and low in the car, and the rest of the driving position was great, but I couldn't get past sitting askew like that in what would a car to do a reasonable amount of miles in for a decent length of time.

And regarding budget, I'm definitely not going to spend all my budget on a C Class when I can pick up an early one that ticks all my boxes for about £18k.

But does anyone have any thoughts what running a C63 for a year would cost? Not a serious long term prospect but it could be a fun thing to own for a while.
if you’re starting out as a penny-pincher, then a proper performance saloon isn’t for you.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pmBut does anyone have any thoughts what running a C63 for a year would cost? Not a serious long term prospect but it could be a fun thing to own for a while.
Paging Andy Bond.............

edit - ignore that, because Rich is right.
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm Weird. That's not something I've noticed in our 420. Is it, perhaps, an X-drive thing?
Possibly. I just thought it was where the transmission tunnel (gearbox clearance) encroached into the footwell. I'll pop by again at the weekend to see if it was an X-drive car or not - they're only 5 minutes from my house.

And Rich and James: You're right - performance cars should only be purchased by those with a completely carefree attitude to costs, expenses and risks ;)
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm Weird. That's not something I've noticed in our 420. Is it, perhaps, an X-drive thing?
Possibly. I just thought it was where the transmission tunnel (gearbox clearance) encroached into the footwell. I'll pop by again at the weekend to see if it was an X-drive car or not - they're only 5 minutes from my house.

And Rich and James: You're right - performance cars should only be purchased by those with a completely carefree attitude to costs, expenses and risks ;)
ok, buy one instead of a 2 litre Mercedes then.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pmAnd Rich and James: You're right - performance cars should only be purchased by those with a completely carefree attitude to costs, expenses and risks ;)
That isn't my point at all, nor Rich's :)

From ACTUAL REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE, my M5 and RS4 have been very expensive to run. I can't speak for Rich and his M3s, but if you're considering a C200, a C63 is not for you.
scotta

Post by scotta »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pmAnd Rich and James: You're right - performance cars should only be purchased by those with a completely carefree attitude to costs, expenses and risks ;)

From ACTUAL REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE, my M5 and RS4 have been very expensive to run. I can't speak for Rich and his M3s, but if you're considering a C200, a C63 is not for you.
Fuck off...Crazy talk.

NOBODY LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm

this is the very origin of the “diesel golf” suggestion for every new car thread. Poster says they want a diesel golf, gets all excited and says they’re going to get an F40.

Then buys a diesel golf.
Last edited by Rich B on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think I should clarify my statement above - "if you want a C200, a C63 isn't for you" as it sounds like I'm just saying Simon can't afford it. Of course he can.

It's just the likely running costs will stop him enjoying owning it, whether or not the running costs and / or repairs are in themselves affordable.

For example, Google* B7 RS4 disc and shock absorber prices if anyone needs convincing of this :lol:

* or a search engine of your choice, of course
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 am Realistically a Golf 7-R estate with the dynamic chassis control (set to comfort most of the time) would be the right fit, but I wasn't overly impressed with the plastics. Respectable but didn't strike me as plush.
This is the right answer. Useable in all weather, fast, well built, very economical given its performance, practical car. The interior is as good as the 3/4 series, in terms of quality but less blingy, but behind the current C Class, imho.

I might be biased, though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Given my penchant for ageing Swedes I cannot comment from experience of super saloons and the like but the idea of spending £20k on a C200 gives me the boke. The AMG ones look and sound great, the others look like poverty spec taxis.

Have you considered an S80 V8....... :)
sec

Post by sec »

Blimeey! £20 k can get you an almost new mondeo!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You’re clearly missing a V8 😉

But it sounds like you should buy the C200 or have a year of regret as you sit in the C63 wondering when it will throw a big bill and analyse every little noise it makes in case it’s about to self-destruct. Like any car in that category the running cost over a year may be nothing more than a service or it can easily throw a mid 4 figure bill. No predicting it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Have you driven a c43? The tyre scrubbing is a non issue unless you drive everywhere on full lock.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Driven no, but everything I read about all 4-matic cars, (so GLC, C43, E43, E63 etc) and the videos I've seen show the issue. It's not just about the skipping (which can only be 'mitigated by AW tyres) but the associated accelerated tyre wear. Merc themselves released a statement saying that because of the gearbox on RHD cars it means the steering geometry isn't the same as LHD cars. It's a complete bodge. I'd love a C43, seriously, but I couldn't live with such a compromised setup.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm if you’re starting out as a penny-pincher, then a proper performance saloon isn’t for you.
This is literally the second-funniest thing I’ve read on the internet all day.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 pm Driven no, but everything I read about all 4-matic cars, (so GLC, C43, E43, E63 etc) and the videos I've seen show the issue. It's not just about the skipping (which can only be 'mitigated by AW tyres) but the associated accelerated tyre wear. Merc themselves released a statement saying that because of the gearbox on RHD cars it means the steering geometry isn't the same as LHD cars. It's a complete bodge. I'd love a C43, seriously, but I couldn't live with such a compromised setup.
Drive one and see.