(Pedal) bike wall mount

Simon

(Pedal) bike wall mount

Post by Simon »

As I'm nearing the end of the garage sort out I need to get a couple of these for mine and the Mrs' bikes. Looking at something where the back wheel rests on the ground and the bike is vertical against the wall, with the front 'clipped in'.

Something like this:

The thing is that I'm conscious that both are bikes are cheap, old and HEAVY and I want something that'll be easy for her to use, and not need 2 people to operate (one to hold and one to operate the clip)

Any recommendations?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jezh

Re: (Pedal) bike wall mount

Post by Jezh »

I was looking for some recently for my shed / office project. Think I will be getting a few of these as they let you 'fold' the bike against the wall therefore less protrusion into the room space. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Feedba ... -Rack/A32G
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's not a direct recommendation but years back I made use of a little space by the understairs cupboard and opposite wall by installing long bolts into the biggest wall anchors I could find and running a length of chain between them. This was a masterstroke - strong as an ox (I tested it by hanging off it myself) and a great way to hang bikes, jackets, kit bags and all that good stuff. Not sure if it works in your setup but just a thought.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I got some, but abandoned them quickly. it doesn’t really save much space compared to just leaning then against the wall + you hear all sorts of issues with hydraulic brakes not liking being stored upside down.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I was going to mention Hydraulics...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jez - thanks - those I'm worried about though as you have to man-handle the bike into the hook. Really easy to use for her is what I'm after - also, the space (just on the wall behind the garage door) doesn't lend itself well to swinging bikes left and right.

JL - Again, I don't think it'll be easy to lift a bike onto a solution like that. Nice idea tho.

Rich and Dinny - these are old bikes without all that new fangled technology ;)

Just found these which could be a go-er:

Not cheap at @£55 ea, and has unnecessary (for me) swinging possible, but seems to tick the other boxes.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I have a 5 bike rack (we have 10 bikes in total) and it definitely saves a lot of room in the garage but I’m the only one who can put bikes on or off it in the family, so definitely doesn’t meet your criteria. I can do it single handedly, though.

I got mine from Decathlon. I can’t find it on their site now so it looks like they’ve stopped doing it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Have you considered the bike version of this?

You just need to solve the well-known chronic flooding issues.

mik

Post by mik »

Pulley lift another option?

Like this. Pulley provides 2:1 ratio so yer missus needs to lift 1/2 the bike weight.
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 am Pulley lift another option?

Like this. Pulley provides 2:1 ratio so yer missus needs to lift 1/2 the bike weight.
I had thought about some sort of pulley. Thing is that the handlebars on the bikes are wider than the spacing between the roof ties, so I couldn't get them through there. One option would be to put them through 'upside down' so the handlebars just sit proud of the joists, but that's a massive faff. Imagine getting the bikes into that position in the first place!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Park bike by leaning against wall. Seems to take up less space than in image 1.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I have a couple of hooks on the rafters in my garage. But only I can get my bike up there, and everyone bangs their heads on it. So now I just lean it against some shelving.
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I bought an Ibera bike mount as I wanted to get one of the bikes up higher and off the ground so I could still put stuff underneath it. I had thought about the vertical hooks or hooks on the roof but none really worked with the space we had. The Ibera one works well and has been rock solid, so worth considering.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Horizont ... wall+mount
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am
mik wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 am Pulley lift another option?

I had thought about some sort of pulley. Thing is that the handlebars on the bikes are wider than the spacing between the roof ties, so I couldn't get them through there. One option would be to put them through 'upside down' so the handlebars just sit proud of the joists, but that's a massive faff. Imagine getting the bikes into that position in the first place!
Take off the front wheel and turn the handlebars?
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am Something like this:

Struggling to see the point of that over the aforementioned classic ‘lean it up against a wall’.

Especially as you’ve only got two bikes.
ste

Post by ste »

I’ve tried loads of different ones. The best I’ve found in terms of simplicity, ease of use and quality are the Delta wheel mount ones. They’ll take a huge variety of bikes and wheels, from a deep aero road rim, kid’s bikes and wide mountain bike wheels.

ste

Post by ste »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 am I got some, but abandoned them quickly. it doesn’t really save much space compared to just leaning then against the wall + you hear all sorts of issues with hydraulic brakes not liking being stored upside down.
Have had no issues with hydraulic brakes, at all. They save loads of space too. I can still fit a car in the garage of the pic above as the car fits beneath them.

We've currently got 15 bikes in the house, if you leaned them all against a wall it would be a nightmare getting out the one you wanted, plus they'd undoubtedly get damaged if just leant in a huge pile.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Get a stronger missus.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Get a carbon framed bike and just lift it with one hand onto the rafters. Ov9ics.
How about not having a sig at all?