Primary school shenanigans

Mito Man

Re: Primary school shenanigans

Post by Mito Man »

There’s a CoE school a few minutes from my flat but I reckon 50% of the pupils must be Muslim which I’ve always found a bit odd. I guess they’ve all attended church for a bit to just get into the selection criteria? Genuinely have no idea how it works!

My school was pretty religious merely due to its location and history despite it being mainly boarding school and most of the pupils not being Christian. Had 35 minutes of listening to a priest ramble on and singing hymns 5 days a week. Despite this the pupils probably had the lowest standard of morals I have still ever come across. The highlight was 2 girls getting caught giving blowjobs in the cathedral crypt, after that the school rules were changed so that any sexual act or drug offences would result in you getting asked to leave immediately rather than the old 3 strike policy.
That year about 12 people were “asked to leave.”
They never did expulsions as that would make it known to the public or something whereas being asked to leave kept it secretive and within the school 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
ste

Post by ste »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 pm There’s a CoE school a few minutes from my flat but I reckon 50% of the pupils must be Muslim which I’ve always found a bit odd. I guess they’ve all attended church for a bit to just get into the selection criteria? Genuinely have no idea how it works!
If only it was spelt out, in detail, numerous times within this thread.
They never did expulsions as that would make it known to the public or something whereas being asked to leave kept it secretive and within the school
A fee paying school can't expel you. You're there by choice and paying them for the priviledge. Its a contractual thing and they're offering to break the contract you've entered into whereby they educate you in exchange for your daddy's money.

A state school expulsion is because the state must provide an education. It's a marker that another school must now take on the burden.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ste wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:36 pm A fee paying school can't expel you.
They certainy can. Their contract will allow them to do so. Ours had its fair share of interesting individuals that were on the receiving end of an expulsion
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Must admit that purely from a contractual point of view, one party not having the right to terminate the contract would be very unusual.
ste

Post by ste »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 pm
They certainy can. Their contract will allow them to do so. Ours had its fair share of interesting individuals that were on the receiving end of an expulsion
Same at my school, but they won't have been expelled, they are 'asked to leave'.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

It does work though. My friends wanted their kids to go to the best local primary school, but it was RC & the chances of getting in without you attending the church were almost zero, so they obliged. The kids are 'meh' about God still, but the Mum has turned to that faith, so everyone was a winner.

Morally, I agree with Nef on this, but realistically I understand that Schools are becoming more & more like businesses, so entry criteria must be followed. The fact that you can 'trick' your way into a school by pretending you're of that faith is both a shame socially, but a credit to what us parents will do to get the best for our kids.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ste wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 pm
Same at my school, but they won't have been expelled, they are 'asked to leave'.
Told to FRO I think in the case of some of ours :lol:
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

The odd thing about the whole debate is that people seem in danger of forgetting that kids derive their education from all sorts of sources, not just what teachers say in school. Which is, I suppose, why I enjoy the ritual of church and a good C. H. H. Parry singalongavictorianempire hymn but am also reasonably confident that there is no God.

Point is, kids are perfectly capable of having multiple different viewpoints in their heads and choosing the one which feels right for them, we've just forgotten that we did the same thing.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There's no space for that kind of sensible chat around here Preach :lol:.

I think one of main things I learned quite early on from growing up around religious people is that you sometimes have to rub along with people you don't agree with for the sake of progressing.

It's a lesson that seems to be getting harder to teach as everyone gets more polarised in their beliefs but maybe that's just me getting older.
An absolute unit
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm There's no space for that kind of sensible chat around here Preach :lol:.
I'm terribly sorry, Z. Here, is this better? Shut up, you unreasonable proto-fascist intellectual hobbit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

I wonder for how much longer religion will be a thing in the UK. As a (just about) millennial, I can only think of one person my age who I know to be religious.

1 more generation until it’s less than 1/3 of people?
Nearly extinct in 2?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I love how you atheists describe the likes of Christianity as a faith but don't consider atheism a faith. I look forward to you providing me with evidence that god/s do not exist.

Agnosticism FTW, I'm highly skeptical about organised religion in all forms but that doesn't mean I can say that there's nothing superior behind the universe.

Consider the hand grenade rolled.:)
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

No argument from me Dunc. As I say, I’m a fundamentalist agnostic: not only do I not know whether there’s a God, I’m not sure it’s ever even possible to know. In a way I envy the faithful (of whatever stripe) their certainty.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Something superior “behind” the universe? It’s a possibility. God as depicted in the bible listening to prayers? Nah.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ste

Post by ste »

It’s a fair shout. I thought I was an agnostic for a while now I’m not so sure.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think we’re just a simulation.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm I think we’re just a simulation.
The Bostrom hypothesis? Fair play. If we are, does it matter?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 pm Something superior “behind” the universe? It’s a possibility. God as depicted in the bible listening to prayers? Nah.
Oh, the idea that a being capable of such things requires our worship is a bit like us requiring the worship of a bacterium under the toilet seat. It's completely absurd.

The only thing that makes me think a supreme being is possible is that the more I learn about physics the more I find that the universe is such a beautifully constructed thing that the idea of it being random is almost more mind blowing than the idea of something creating it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I always thought the universe and everything within it is just too structured. Everything can be explained with a formula and if it can’t it means we just haven’t found it yet. Every new discovery is unravelling part of the code it’s written in.

Like Duncs the idea of it being random is a bit far fetched to me, but then I don’t believe in a superior being having created all of this so I find the simulation theory the most plausible currently.

I don’t see it being beyond our generation where a Musk type billionaire maps their entire brain and uploads it to to the cloud so they in effect don’t die.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s taken billions of years for the universe to be the way it is and science can mostly explain how basic forces created the rhythms we see today.

The fact that the universe works as a mostly synchronous entity isn’t proof of a higher power.
An absolute unit