Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:33 am
Rich B wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:03 am ...it seems like a waste of time.
Unless a small and hugely boosted VAG engine proves more reliable than the original Porsche unit.
I'll revise it to "unless you've got a highly tuned 1.8T or a boxster with a knackered engine lying about, it seems like a waste of time".

If you're buying a knackered boxster AND spending a load of money tuning a very high mileage standard engine you already have in a working car, it seems like a waste of time when you can buy a newer model with a nice engine for only a little more than the hopeful budget.

If I was looking to do something hugely involved/expensive like engine swaps and the like, it would be to get something exceptional (and massively better than what I could just buy).
I was being sarcastic ;) I’m agreeing with you !
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The BMW was due a new set of tyres today, the rears are down to 2mm and the fronts 3mm. The car complained about a puncture on the front passenger side yesterday so I was thinking it was great timing.

The old tyre is fine, but the wheel is cracked in 4 places, almost in perfect quarters.

The tyre fitter advised that the wheel looks perfectly round and so it may be a warranty claim, Im not hopeful but will give it a try as if you don't ask you don't get.
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:11 am
The old tyre is fine, but the wheel is cracked in 4 places, almost in perfect quarters.
:shock: Do you have a spare you can stick on?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:44 am
MikeHunt wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:11 am
:shock: Do you have a spare you can stick on?
No spare, it has run flats.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My Audi did a full automatic emergency stop while I was away in Anglesey at the weekend. It was at a traffic light controlled crossroads where there was a car coming towards me slowly, indicating to turn, so I started to edge forward as I was turning right across him. My car must have thought there was going to be a head-on accident; I guess the pre-sense doesn't see the oncoming car's indicator. It felt like we'd been hit despite only stopping from walking pace; the big red 'Audi Pre-Sense' graphic in the dash made it immediately obvious what had happened and I was able to move off straight away but it was a bit disconcerting.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Local indy is going to send me a list of prices for engine/gearbox service, OE vs premium OEM parts etc.

I mentioned in my email that I've got a probable rocker cover leak and I'm used to that from having an E46 6 pot and he quizzed me on that and offered to buy it off me :lol: fucking everyone wants to buy this car but the guy who is buying it is taking his time, so he got to hear that saga, too...

So that'll be a change to the norm. Actually having someone else service the car.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

BMW rocker cover leaks seem to be as consistent as full moons.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Took the Fabia for a decent run. Can't indicate left. Oddly the stalk works for dipped/high beam, high beam flash, indicating right, but not indicating left.
Usefully my route involved hardly any left turns.
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:55 pm BMW rocker cover leaks seem to be as consistent as full moons.
Yeah, it's either that or the oil filter housing gasket, they seem to be evergreen pain points on BMW six pot lumps.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Are you sure it's not consuming the oil via the PCV valve ? My E39 did both :lol:

Cam cover gasket wasn't too difficult, PCV was a PITA.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I can smell it in the cabin, and I've basically asked them to 'have a look' when it comes in for service, to see if they can pin it down a bit better.

Activated charcoal cabin filters will help, but they won't fix the actual problem ;)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:34 pm My Audi did a full automatic emergency stop while I was away in Anglesey at the weekend. It was at a traffic light controlled crossroads where there was a car coming towards me slowly, indicating to turn, so I started to edge forward as I was turning right across him. My car must have thought there was going to be a head-on accident; I guess the pre-sense doesn't see the oncoming car's indicator. It felt like we'd been hit despite only stopping from walking pace; the big red 'Audi Pre-Sense' graphic in the dash made it immediately obvious what had happened and I was able to move off straight away but it was a bit disconcerting.
The Skoda likes to do this from time to time. Usually if it thinks you aren't braking sufficiently enough when the car in front is turning left, and more specifically usually when there's a car full of people so you look like a right pillock :lol: The irony being we've been lucky to not be rear-ended as a result :roll:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:24 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:55 pm BMW rocker cover leaks seem to be as consistent as full moons.
Yeah, it's either that or the oil filter housing gasket, they seem to be evergreen pain points on BMW six pot lumps.
The cam cover gasket can be cheaper at BMW dealers - my old BMW indie replaced one (or possibly two) for me and I ended up having to replace some brittle fasteners and electrical connectors as a consequence. The main dealers tend to do it as a fixed price so will include any consequential replacement bits.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Good shout.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:34 pm My Audi did a full automatic emergency stop while I was away in Anglesey at the weekend. It was at a traffic light controlled crossroads where there was a car coming towards me slowly, indicating to turn, so I started to edge forward as I was turning right across him. My car must have thought there was going to be a head-on accident; I guess the pre-sense doesn't see the oncoming car's indicator. It felt like we'd been hit despite only stopping from walking pace; the big red 'Audi Pre-Sense' graphic in the dash made it immediately obvious what had happened and I was able to move off straight away but it was a bit disconcerting.
New car technology can be frustrating.

Left the Tesla in the train station car park whilst we went to London for the day. Got back at about 6pm only for the Tesla to decide to do a software update. We were keen to just get going as all hungry and just want to go home. But apparently you can't cancel an update, so had to sit there for 25 minutes whilst it finished. Would potentially make it the worst escape car ever!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Things like that would piss me off immensely.

Be great going into work and explaining you were half an hour late because your car was doing an update.
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Holley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 pm Left the Tesla in the train station car park whilst we went to London for the day. Got back at about 6pm only for the Tesla to decide to do a software update. We were keen to just get going as all hungry and just want to go home. But apparently you can't cancel an update, so had to sit there for 25 minutes whilst it finished. Would potentially make it the worst escape car ever!
That's odd... I have never had mine do an update unbidden, I always have to OK it from the app first.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Is it even a BMW if it doesn't have an oil leak?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 pm
Is it even a BMW if it doesn't have an oil leak?
It's deeply suspicious if it doesn't have one, in my opinion :lol:

Haven't had that price list yet, but he did say they were pretty busy so I'm not in any rush.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 pm
Holley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 pm Left the Tesla in the train station car park whilst we went to London for the day. Got back at about 6pm only for the Tesla to decide to do a software update. We were keen to just get going as all hungry and just want to go home. But apparently you can't cancel an update, so had to sit there for 25 minutes whilst it finished. Would potentially make it the worst escape car ever!
That's odd... I have never had mine do an update unbidden, I always have to OK it from the app first.
It was partly my fault, when we arrived in the car park in the morning it asked to do the update. I clicked schedule for later. What I didn't realise by doing that is I couldn't reschedule again and you can't cancel it.