It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

V8Granite

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by V8Granite »

100% if the Mini was edging over then it’s crap luck from the Mini and the Cyclist not being observant.

As the Mini ended up 15 feet from where the accident happened then he was going too quickly imo. If he stopped within a couple of feet then he was being sensible with the move.

You can’t always fully see if a manouver is clear in those situations, so you drive/ ride accordingly.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 am I think the Mini was turning right, not left :lol:
After 18 years, my secret identity has been revealed... :lol:

I see your point though. However, if I'm in the Mini and begin my turn right then try to inch forward until I can see clearly, there's still a significant chance I won't see a cyclist approaching at speed until it's too late, given the angle of the curve. I'll be halfway across the lane by the time I'm sure and if they're not cycling with due care and attention (as this cyclist wasn't') then accidents are inevitable.

I'd be interested to see the road layout from the Mini's point of view
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:22 am
I see your point though. However, if I'm in the Mini and begin my turn right then try to inch forward until I can see clearly, there's still a significant chance I won't see a cyclist approaching at speed until it's too late, given the angle of the curve. I'll be halfway across the lane by the time I'm sure and if they're not cycling with due care and attention (as this cyclist wasn't') then accidents are inevitable.

its not hard to imagine, especially because there's a massive space from the Tesla to the side of the road. The mini could have easily moved forward enough to see no one was coming before proceeding.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah I know Rich. I would not envy anyone driving regularly in a city these days
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:17 am Yeah I know Rich. I would not envy anyone driving regularly in a city these days
id like to think those rules apply where ever you drive! It's just a single line of traffic on a nice wide road.

Incidentally, I've spent HOURS standing about 50 yards from this exact spot - the Hampton court kids play area is just over the wall on the inside of the corner and we have a membership.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Do you spend your time there peering over the wall at accidents? I doubt Fail Army pay £250 a video though and I haven't seen You've Been Framed for years.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:22 am
And thanks to @Rich B 's INSIDE INFORMATION - you can.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4069932 ... &entry=ttu
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Looking at that, I'd suggest that in order to have a clear view of oncoming cyclists, especially if it's a Van or 4x4 letting you out, you would already need to most of the way across the road before you'd have that clear view.

Although the perspective of google maps view might distort things.

And to be clear, I'm NOT suggesting he driver wasn't at fault - I'm suggesting that, given the particular geometry of that road, that perhaps traffic shouldn't be allowed to turn right there...
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am Looking at that, I'd suggest that in order to have a clear view of oncoming cyclists, especially if it's a Van or 4x4 letting you out, you would already need to most of the way across the road before you'd have that clear view.
That’s true of many awkward junctions though. “Creep & peek” I think some driving instructors refer to it as? If you can't see that it is clear to proceed, you have to consider that it isn't.

From the camera bike, you clearly see the Mini approaching the junction for a fair period (at least 2 seconds I believe) - hence the driver had a pretty good opportunity to spot the cyclists too.

But I still maintain that if the cyclist had been squeezing his brake lever instead of his drinks bottle, this incident would have been one involving shouts & hand gestures only.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I suppose that's my point - if now, cyclists are entitled to cycle wherever they are legally allowed to be and no matter what the circumstances, it a car happens to be in that same space, it's automatically the Car's fault, then yeah, lots of junctions are going to need to change.

Or else extend the new cycling rights to include some new responsibilities. For example, taking a drink is perfectly acceptable but you must remain in complete control of your bike when approaching and crossing a junction
mik

Post by mik »

Something different.

Pedestrian wanders out without looking (possibly thinking the road is one-way for all traffic, and not noticing the 2-way cycle lane?), but since they were crossing the road I think many cyclists would have anticipated the potential for that happening.

A brief toot on that nice horn when the cyclist started crossing the main carriageway would probably have prevented that collision.
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you look at the cycle lane coming the other way, it looks like it stops where it reaches this crossing - likely just a pedestrian crossing? And I think therefore the cyclist was riding on the pavement, then crossed the road, and the pedestrian didn't expect to get hit by a cyclist at the START of a cycle lane?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 am If you look at the cycle lane coming the other way, it looks like it stops where it reaches this crossing - likely just a pedestrian crossing? And I think therefore the cyclist was riding on the pavement, then crossed the road, and the pedestrian didn't expect to get hit by a cyclist at the START of a cycle lane?
The pedestrian just plain wasn't looking. The only thing the cyclist did wrong was not anticipating what was about to happen. Or, more likely, anticipating it and carrying on anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Agreed on all of that, but I'd also suggest that the cyclist has been cycling on the pavement, then on a pavement crossing over to the start of the cycling lane. Anyone know whereabouts this is?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Looks like a cycle crossing to me
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A cyclist hit a pedestrian.

It is, therefore, the cyclist's fault.

End of discussion.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cyclist will be at fault regardless. My mum did the same thing to a cyclist a few years ago but much worse. She didn't look whilst crossing the road at the bottom of a hill and the cyclist crashed into her at quite some speed. She got a few cracked ribs and the cyclist went head first into a curb and was properly mangled, probably to the point of life changing from what was described. Despite this the Police kept telling my mum she can sue the cyclist.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

It's on everyone to look out for each other and ride/drive considerately and pay attention to what's going on. I don't think these small cycle lanes which often share the same pavement with pedestrians are helpful for anyone. They just introduce conflict. Segregation is the way to go. There's some at the top of Leith Walk in Edinburgh and there's people wandering all over them not even realising they're for bikes.
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Another vine classic. Instead of braking he cycles in front of the car and uses his horn for video effect instead of braking.

Car was late on the indicator but why cycle up the inside of an indicating car mid turn.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 pm why cycle up the inside of an indicating car mid turn.
Because Germy Vile. :evil: