Where would you live?

Holley

Re: Where would you live?

Post by Holley »

Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath and Woburn are suitably posh and very lovely. Can get some very nice properties for between 1.25m-2m.

Not quite all criteria hit, but something like this...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY
or this

leaving enough budget for the annexe
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The joy of mines is that there’s space to build a runway.

WFH @IanF ?
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

drcarlos wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:11 am We’re about £400,000 short of this.

You then have a lake and a lot of land aswell.

Dave!
That ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Same, just a shame about where in the country it is. But then if it was down here it would be £2m without the land.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Holley wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:21 am Aspley Heath
I used to live on Aspley Heath - right at the very top in a place called Daneswood and you're absolutely right - Woburn, Woburn Sands etc are lovely places.

Dangerously close to me thought for Ian... :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

It would be great to have a house in an area of beautiful unspoiled countryside. The risk of course, is that some selfish cnut builds a house there and ruins the beautiful unspoiled countryside near your house.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:23 am The joy of mines is that there’s space to build a runway.

WFH @IanF ?
he'd have to WFR though, I didn't see a home on there?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:28 am

Dave!
Same, just a shame about where in the country it is. But then if it was down here it would be £2m without the land.
That is nice, love the land and the lake.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:47 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:23 am The joy of mines is that there’s space to build a runway.

WFH @IanF ?
he'd have to WFR though, I didn't see a home on there?
You can ask one of the crofters if you can crash on the couch when you’re home.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Dave!
If it wasn't for my mum I would seriously consider moving away, possibly further north as my job contract is now totally flexible and just travel down for the odd day or two in the office maybe once a month. Even though I am actually pretty tied to my hometown the cost of living here smarts.

However I'll chuck this in for consideration: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... otoCollage
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Dave!
What a cheek, it’s a mile down the road from me 😂

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:40 am

What a cheek, it’s a mile down the road from me 😂

Dave!
I meant in relation to where my family and friends are!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nice try, no Christmas card for you.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

This is probably in budget with only a little haggling:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... llion.html
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 pm Following on from the “woman” topic, I’ve decided to buy somewhere for me.. ideally I’d like this to be my last UK purchase and so I have a few requisites: must be a min 2 bedroom in main house with an annexe for my parent(s) as my dad is not well medically. It needs to have a three car garage (to keep up with Jobbo obviously 😉). I enjoy a pub, so want 2 pubs within 5km, have 2 dogs so want plenty of outside space. A farm may be of interest, depending on accounts (and affordability).

I’d like a big kitchen/morning room, media/games room, with a pool/tennis court/both as a dream scenario.

It needs to be within 90 minutes of LHR (max 120) and max spend is £2m for property.. so, as per subject line, where would you live? And any actual suggestions would be most welcome ..

ETA: not Windsor, that place is dead to me
Interestingly I'm currently sat in Oxford having just finished a prep school open morning - we're exploring relocating and S. Oxfordshire has places that will fit many of your criteria.

But you're also near enough in direct competition to me so my official advice is f*ck off and look somewhere else :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

drcarlos wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 am

If it wasn't for my mum I would seriously consider moving away, possibly further north as my job contract is now totally flexible and just travel down for the odd day or two in the office maybe once a month. Even though I am actually pretty tied to my hometown the cost of living here smarts.

However I'll chuck this in for consideration: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... otoCollage
That ticks a lot of boxes.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:48 am This is probably in budget with only a little haggling:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... llion.html
Also very close to me - don’t you like Ian ??? :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

GG. wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm
IanF wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 pm Following on from the “woman” topic, I’ve decided to buy somewhere for me.. ideally I’d like this to be my last UK purchase and so I have a few requisites: must be a min 2 bedroom in main house with an annexe for my parent(s) as my dad is not well medically. It needs to have a three car garage (to keep up with Jobbo obviously 😉). I enjoy a pub, so want 2 pubs within 5km, have 2 dogs so want plenty of outside space. A farm may be of interest, depending on accounts (and affordability).

I’d like a big kitchen/morning room, media/games room, with a pool/tennis court/both as a dream scenario.

It needs to be within 90 minutes of LHR (max 120) and max spend is £2m for property.. so, as per subject line, where would you live? And any actual suggestions would be most welcome ..

ETA: not Windsor, that place is dead to me
Interestingly I'm currently sat in Oxford having just finished a prep school open morning - we're exploring relocating and S. Oxfordshire has places that will fit many of your criteria.

But you're also near enough in direct competition to me so my official advice is f*ck off and look somewhere else :lol:
Best you tell me where exactly to avoid and if you can send over actual properties you like, I can make sure I don’t (do) make offers.. 😇👍
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

We’ve a bigger relocation job including getting my son into another school so realistically you’ll be buying before us anyway.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

A tedious point but if you plan to have infirm elderly relatives live with you, you will really have to consider access to GP and other services and for me that makes living rurally a no-no. Mine are lucky to live in a big suburb with a decent GP, although Leeds General Infirmary could be better.
A friend of mine moved her parents in with her in Cambridge lately purely so they could access Addenbrookes rather than being stuck with Reading.
GG. wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm Interestingly I'm currently sat in Oxford having just finished a prep school open morning - we're exploring relocating and S. Oxfordshire has places that will fit many of your criteria.

One of the reasons I left Oxford (well that and finishing my PhD) was that housing was just appallingly expensive. The tumbledown old 2 bed semi detached I lived in in Old Headington was up for £650,000 apparently.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:51 pm A tedious point but if you plan to have infirm elderly relatives live with you, you will really have to consider access to GP and other services and for me that makes living rurally a no-no. Mine are lucky to live in a big suburb with a decent GP, although Leeds General Infirmary could be better.
A friend of mine moved her parents in with her in Cambridge lately purely so they could access Addenbrookes rather than being stuck with Reading.
GG. wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm Interestingly I'm currently sat in Oxford having just finished a prep school open morning - we're exploring relocating and S. Oxfordshire has places that will fit many of your criteria.

One of the reasons I left Oxford (well that and finishing my PhD) was that housing was just appallingly expensive. The tumbledown old 2 bed semi detached I lived in in Old Headington was up for £650,000 apparently.
My mother in laws attitude to leaving the four bed detached house she lives in and cannot hope to maintain is "over my dead body"... so she wouldn't be living with us but it is helpful to be 25 minutes drive away and not 2hr 25mins.

South Oxfordshire villages seems a good bit cheaper than North Oxford / Cotswolds and is much more commutable into London so that likely makes the most sense for us - at least for the foreseeable future.