Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Oliver Reed (25 year anniversary)

Post by Sundayjumper »

25 years yesterday. Lest we forget.

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Oliver Reed (25 year anniversary)

Post by Ascender »

Ah, simpler times. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

The armwrestling is just the icing on the cake.

Two stories I heard this week from podcasts and books... Duff McKagan when trying to kick his vodka habit switched to wine. 10 bottles a day. And Paul Gascoigne was having a crap game in the first half of a cup final so the manager sent him to have a brandy at half time in the hospitality bar. Three triples later he was good to go and scored two goals.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Legend...

Tenuous link - when I first moved to England, I lived in a hotel for 6 months and the night porter (and after hours barman) was Oliver Reeds driver and "Try your best to keep him out of Trouble" guy - he was present at Broome Hall when Reed and Keith Moon had their infamous sword fight
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

A very early supporter of lawnmower racing. He used to arrive at the 12 hour race having entered a team (obviously he never drove) with a double decker bus kitted out as a support vehicle (the kind of support was a bar, seating and hangout area for him and his friends) and proceed to embark on a marathon sesh when the flag dropped.

Carl.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:20 pm Ah, simpler times. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Two stories I heard this week from podcasts and books... Duff McKagan when trying to kick his vodka habit switched to wine. 10 bottles a day. And Paul Gascoigne was having a crap game in the first half of a cup final so the manager sent him to have a brandy at half time in the hospitality bar. Three triples later he was good to go and scored two goals.
Stories like that were what turned me into a problem drinker in the first place :lol:

RIP to my bad role models. (I know Duff McKagan isn’t dead)
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

His biography is hilarious, stuck up a chimney and fell asleep till dinner etc. Absolutely incredible human being.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I went to The Pub in Valetta in 2015 and they had some newspaper cuttings and details of his order prominently displayed. I’m sure they still do. He was a legend and it’s a nice pub, well worth a visit.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I’m more shocked that Gladiator is ~25 years old :shock:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Gives me the chance to post one of my favourite clips on YT....Brian on Oliver Reed. Although Peter O'Toole is the highlight.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Get that motherfucker off me" :lol:

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I was a student when he died. A few of us resolved to get ratarsed that night in his honour.

A mates brother was a builder and turned up at Reed’s house early one morning to do some work, somewhere near Windsor, Bray etc. He was met with the man himself having an umbrella sword fight with his butler on the front garden.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:20 pm Ah, simpler times. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

MY almost ,oment concerns both of those guys, occasionally drank in Peebles and once sat on "his" stool. And had a girlfriend in Renfrewshire and we would occasionaly drink in the same pub as Gazza and Five Bellies. We were actually there but had left when the bif fight that made the papaers occured.
Never saw Reed in the Peebles pub though.

Also had Richard Harris walk into me in the Coal Hole in the Strand and spilt three pints I was carrying, he was absolutely lovely, and pished, but I declined his offer of refills as it was only a wee spill. My friends and I then spent ages trying to remeber his name as Ed Harros sprung to mind and knew that wasn't right.

Must watch Gladiator again, such a bloody good film and an awesome soundtrack.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:20 pm Gives me the chance to post one of my favourite clips on YT....Brian on Oliver Reed. Although Peter O'Toole is the highlight.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Get that motherfucker off me" :lol:

:lol: (and so are that channel's other vids 8-) ).