Mesh wifi

Beany

Re: Mesh wifi

Post by Beany »

By coincidence, my Draytek 2866ax shat it's biscuits last night, so I'm now running on my old (oooold) 2830n

Which is....painful. And doesn't like VPNs much. And has shit wifi by modern standards.

The 2866ax is still technically within 2yr warranty, but the RMA process might take a while, so I'm replacing it with this:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT6600ax

Because I need solid internet for work, obviously. Which today, I did not really have. That older one reaaally doesn't like trying to push 300+mb/sec through the WAN port, it's from back in the day when 80mb/sec was considered outlandishly fast.

The new one above has enough radio on it to host the John Peel Sessions.

And costs £100 less.

And will hopefully not eat it's own local storage, which is what I suspect the Draytek has done.

It also supports meshiness so if I move house to somewhere bigger and see no need to replace it as a router, but need more wifi, I can bang another one in place to boost it a bit.

So that's, overall, fucking annoying - but being paid respectable to what I'm doing for my job for a change means I at least looked at my bank balance and realised I could easily afford it, rather than panicking over how I was going to pull the funds together for it etc. :oops:
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Beany wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 pm By coincidence, my Draytek 2866ax shat it's biscuits last night, so I'm now running on my old (oooold) 2830n

Which is....painful. And doesn't like VPNs much. And has shit wifi by modern standards.

The 2866ax is still technically within 2yr warranty, but the RMA process might take a while, so I'm replacing it with this:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT6600ax

Because I need solid internet for work, obviously. Which today, I did not really have. That older one reaaally doesn't like trying to push 300+mb/sec through the WAN port, it's from back in the day when 80mb/sec was considered outlandishly fast.

The new one above has enough radio on it to host the John Peel Sessions.

And costs £100 less.

And will hopefully not eat it's own local storage, which is what I suspect the Draytek has done.

It also supports meshiness so if I move house to somewhere bigger and see no need to replace it as a router, but need more wifi, I can bang another one in place to boost it a bit.

So that's, overall, fucking annoying - but being paid respectable to what I'm doing for my job for a change means I at least looked at my bank balance and realised I could easily afford it, rather than panicking over how I was going to pull the funds together for it etc. :oops:
Have you tried a different power supply for the Draytek? The actual routers rarely fail, but when the power supply becomes weak they can become temperamental.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Power supply is currently, happily, powering the 2830 backup router. So unless it's failing at a very specific load right at startup, then it ain't that.

Besides, Draytek didn't offer to replace it first, so I guess this ain't the first 2866 they've see shit itself in this very specific, seemingly storage related manner.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Beany wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 pm Image
We use one of these. And then the older 2600ac and two MR2200ac units as the mesh system. Absolutely flawless.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've just got it set up and I'm seriously impressed.

I've got a Minisform EM680 which is an 80x80x40mm PC, and it's got slightly shonky wifi because, you know, antenna seperation etc.

It was previously barely getting 250-300mb wifi and would regularly drop off the 5ghz channels on AC, and fall back to 2.4ghz, which was terrible.

Since setting this up I've never seen it drop below 500mb/sec

Reflected in real world performance - it's regularly getting north of 300mb/sec on fast.com

Software is solid and very DSM like, and every other device is basically capable of maxing out the WAN out on wifi, which previously was only possible in the office where the Draytek was installed.

Only complication was setting up VLAN tags for WAN (Required for FTTC) which lives under LAN/IPTV settings, rather than WAN where you'd expect it, other than that, everything has been very straightforward.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm I've just got it set up and I'm seriously impressed.

TL;DR version: Donkey Pr0n in 4K is amazing!
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

The market is smaller than I'd like. Which isn't what she said, ho ho ho.

....I'm not proud of that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm I've got a Minisform EM680 which is an 80x80x40mm PC, and it's got slightly shonky wifi because, you know, antenna seperation etc.

It was previously barely getting 250-300mb wifi and would regularly drop off the 5ghz channels on AC, and fall back to 2.4ghz, which was terrible.

Since setting this up I've never seen it drop below 500mb/sec
Now reporting 1729mb/sec links speed :lol:

And maxing out the WAN.

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'll keep an eye on this thread @Beany, need to sort a router and wi-fi mesh for the stone walled cottage....
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to do some DIY in it before 'proper' moving in, just do some cable runs. Not for individual computers etc, but for mesh units.

You can then use them with any mesh setup - the backhaul will be over CAT5 so it'll be fast as fuck for the wifi endpoints, and they'll all be on one wireless network that any decent mesh system will auto-manage for you. The rest of the setup is pretty nice and straightforward.

Most mesh units have a wee switch on the back of them, so if you did want to hardwire a device in locally, you can do that from them, too.

Can't speak to the Synos mesh performance, but I've not seen them being slagged for being useless at it, and they are quite easy to set up on the whole, so they're worth keeping in consideration.

Sure, you can get similar specced units cheaper, but it's the ease of use you're paying for as much as anything else.