Your fleet running reports

Mito Man

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Mito Man »

I mean you spin one wheel and as it’s going through the motor you can’t really get it to freely spin at any sort of speed to get it fast enough to audibly hear anything.
How about not having a sig at all?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Picked up a set of rear disc's and pads for the TVR from GSF today. That and a couple of cans of brake cleaner was a whole £61, branded Delphi stuff too.
Would have been about £180 from a TVR parts supplier, but as they are just xr4×4 stuff there's a lot to be saved. Now just need to shake this cold so I can fit them.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:56 pm Is it possible for a wheel bearing to go bad without the usual symptom of the noise changing when swerving? I'm running out of ideas on what else it could be on the Model 3. It is a roller bearing rather than tapered bearing if that makes a difference. Can't really spin the wheel by hand at any sort of speed as it's AWD. Can't see/feel any unusual tyre wear, rotated the tyres too and noise is no different. Can't really feel any play, there's a tiny bit but I think that's just the bushes.
I'm stumped :?
You can get a defect in the metal on a bearing so it can make a noise without the usual play etc. I had a bearing go on my Mondeo like that years ago - think it was caused by a particularly bad pothole or something. Wheel span fine and had no play but the bearing was still knackered.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Simon wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:56 pm Is it possible for a wheel bearing to go bad without the usual symptom of the noise changing when swerving? I'm running out of ideas on what else it could be on the Model 3. It is a roller bearing rather than tapered bearing if that makes a difference. Can't really spin the wheel by hand at any sort of speed as it's AWD. Can't see/feel any unusual tyre wear, rotated the tyres too and noise is no different. Can't really feel any play, there's a tiny bit but I think that's just the bushes.
I'm stumped :?
You can get a defect in the metal on a bearing so it can make a noise without the usual play etc. I had a bearing go on my Mondeo like that years ago - think it was caused by a particularly bad pothole or something. Wheel span fine and had no play but the bearing was still knackered.
We call it shadowing, so you measure it and it comes out fine but to look at it then it’s a matt grey.

I wouldn’t have a clue how you check this without being able to freely spin it.

I assume getting all 4 wheels in the air and letting it “idle” is a pain and also suitably sketchy 😂

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Considered it briefly then I read somewhere that the car loses its shit if you do that. Also there’s no axle stand points on the car so I can only jack one side at a time then slide the wheel under it for safety
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/mod ... 55037.html
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Baby Jesus looking out for me today.
Big rock hit my car, found it lodged beside the condenser
mik

Post by mik »

Driving whilst stoned. Not ideal.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I agree. It won't rock your world in a good way.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Could affect your no claims boulders
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Slate-d for problems, definitely going to un-g-ravel.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Lucky it was only hard rock, not heavy metal.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm Lucky it was only hard rock, not heavy metal.
I believe it had MOR origins...
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

PaulJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm Lucky it was only hard rock, not heavy metal.
I believe it had MOR origins...
And from MOR, he then went to garage !
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Cayenne air suspension compressor seems to have died. Cheapie Chinese replacement is very affordable at just over £100 so I’ll get one ordered. I used similar quality cheapie air springs on the Touareg and they were totally fine so hopefully this will be too.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 am Cayenne air suspension compressor seems to have died. Cheapie Chinese replacement is very affordable at just over £100 so I’ll get one ordered. I used similar quality cheapie air springs on the Touareg and they were totally fine so hopefully this will be too.
Thing with some cheap Chinese parts is they probably supply Porsche/vw with the bits anyway :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Motorhome finally sold last week. It was a spur of the moment purchase early 2022 after 7 years of touring caravans and although great fun we never used it enough to justify having nearly £50k sat in it.

Not sure if it is luck or they are always financially good news but it only depreciated £2k over that period and i hadn't spent a penny on it other than fuel and £300 a year insuring it. The selling dealer even serviced it as part of his commission as well.

I'm hoping to get a toy for the summer we can all use but insuring something interesting to include my 17 and 18 year olds is looking unlikely. Even a old E81 130i LE would be £6,500 to insure which is madness :roll:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm Motorhome finally sold last week. It was a spur of the moment purchase early 2022 after 7 years of touring caravans and although great fun we never used it enough to justify having nearly £50k sat in it.

Not sure if it is luck or they are always financially good news but it only depreciated £2k over that period and i hadn't spent a penny on it other than fuel and £300 a year insuring it. The selling dealer even serviced it as part of his commission as well.

I'm hoping to get a toy for the summer we can all use but insuring something interesting to include my 17 and 18 year olds is looking unlikely. Even a old E81 130i LE would be £6,500 to insure which is madness :roll:
Get the 130i and don't insure it for the kids then :lol: I really liked the 116d I had as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks in 2010 so I can imagine the 130i would be just right. More appealing than the M135i to me because it's smaller.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Fun for the family you say?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm Motorhome finally sold last week. It was a spur of the moment purchase early 2022 after 7 years of touring caravans and although great fun we never used it enough to justify having nearly £50k sat in it.

Renaultsport twingo. You just need to be handy with the spanners and have a bit of time to sort out bits- they’re getting on now. Absolutely loved mine but couldn’t maintain it as an only car and the wife struggled with her mobility getting in and out of it.

They’re an absolute hoot to drive, cheap enough to buy and the parts aren’t horrendous. Pretty cheap on insurance too