Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: EV Thread

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:26 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm
Who's the current owner of Porsche, again?

Are they massively signal boosting literal neo Nazis?

No?

Oh.
do shut up Bean, that was a quality come back from Nut - laugh, it doesn't hurt!
Musk probably has closer ties to Fascists these days anyway, so that link could work for him aswell!
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

He truly his the Henry Ford of his generation.

Just not for the reasons he'd like to think :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm Yes, but a 911 has little things like build quality and character, and also isn't sold by a company which is very publicly and loudly headed by a weird little nazi-adjacent freak.

So, you know, there's that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand ... Wagens.jpg
Who's the current owner of Porsche, again?

Are they massively signal boosting literal neo Nazis?

No?

Oh.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A weird one yesterday, a friend has an EQC300 as a test as his company car needs changing and he had it on 24 hour test.

Firstly, with 4 fully grown men in the car you would be at the max vehicle weight, which is ridiculous as it’s only a GVW of 3T.

Secondly, the performance is strange as it launches incredibly smoothly, would make 2 car lengths even before a modern torque converter is fully locked up and was impressive, even at the 2.7tons it must have weighed with us both in it.

Every single aspect of the car shouted in-efficient. The interior was nice enough but modern Mercedes chintzy and cheap. The performance was impressive but more in the instant response, not the actual acceleration if that makes sense.

It makes Teslas look so far ahead of everyone in performance that I don’t understand why this would be chosen over a Model X (which I’m no fan of) apart from lease deals and BIK reasons.

I don’t get modern cars.

Dave!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 am A weird one yesterday, a friend has an EQC300 as a test as his company car needs changing and he had it on 24 hour test.

Firstly, with 4 fully grown men in the car you would be at the max vehicle weight, which is ridiculous as it’s only a GVW of 3T.

Secondly, the performance is strange as it launches incredibly smoothly, would make 2 car lengths even before a modern torque converter is fully locked up and was impressive, even at the 2.7tons it must have weighed with us both in it.

Every single aspect of the car shouted in-efficient. The interior was nice enough but modern Mercedes chintzy and cheap. The performance was impressive but more in the instant response, not the actual acceleration if that makes sense.

It makes Teslas look so far ahead of everyone in performance that I don’t understand why this would be chosen over a Model X (which I’m no fan of) apart from lease deals and BIK reasons.

I don’t get modern cars.

Dave!
My business partner has an EQC400 and I’ve spent a bit of time in it. The car feels caught between trying to feel like the Merc ICE models inside and being an electric car. We’ve got a job on in the New Forest at the moment and the 200 mile round trip means that he ends up in the diesel van so he doesn’t have range anxiety if a short trip to the wholesalers is needed during the day and he doesn’t want to lose half an hour topping up on the way home.
He’s happy driving it to relatives in Holland though, as the charging infrastructure on his route is very good.
Impressive/uncomfortable 0-50ish performance like any reasonably powerful electric car.
He admits that he preferred the diesel c-class that he had before.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Offered an upgrade to a Beyond your dreams (BYD) Atto 3, so I took it!

Firstly, the good things: It has Rear parking sensors and 360° cameras. Plus, it has a panoramic opening sunroof.. There’s an NFC symbol on the door mirror, so I guess you can use your phone to unlock it? It does 250 miles on a full charge. It has wireless charging for your phone and Apple CarPlay/android auto. Finally , the seats are quite comfortable.

Now for the negatives.. Oh, so many negatives! It has the Grabbiest brakes I’ve ever experienced, whilst also having the softest acceleration pedal. The steering wheel is at a weird angle with the top much farther away than the bottom. When you turn the car on it takes nearly 10 seconds for you to be able to drive anywhere as the screens do some weird loading effort accompanied by lots of bings and bongs. It uses lots of acronyms such as EPB, AVH that frankly, I can’t be arsed to decipher!

The screen rotates 90° so you can have it in landscape or portrait, But only two apps work in split screen which is navigation and Spotify, So not exactly useful. Also changing radio stations means Pressing the home Button, then Radio and then the station you wish. And good luck trying to adjust the air-conditioning or heated seats!

Opening the windows doesn’t remove the morning dew as the rubber seals don’t touch the glass, which is further demonstrated by the ridiculous amount of wind noise driving at speeds up to 70 miles an hour..

It feels like it’s driving on gen 1 runflat tyres with absolutely zero sidewall give, and a shocking thump when you go over an uneven surface.

I wanted to drive one because it’s a first generation Chinese electric car and is from the worlds biggest manufacturer of electric cars, but like Shanghai in the early 2000s, It’s nowhere near the quality product that Europe produces.. Still feels better than an early Tesla though! It will be interesting to see where they go from here, and how long it takes for them to catch up, but I won’t be hiring one again for a while!
Attachments
IMG_6726.jpeg
IMG_6726.jpeg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fuck me that interface looks like something from an XDA circa 2007.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:33 pm Fuck me that interface looks like something from an XDA circa 2007.
Yes. Definitely not been through a competent UX designer.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The BYDs look awful close up. I think they’re ok and popular in China because they cost peanuts, but ship them here and suddenly they cost £40k and the lease costs almost the same as a Tesla Model 3 too so you’d be insane to pick one
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Why is that in the EV thread?
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm
It's a vehicle fire in the news, therefore it must be an ev, and if not therefore then, well, it doesn't say it isn't an ev does it, so it could be.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:07 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm
It's a vehicle fire in the news, therefore it must be an ev, and if not therefore then, well, it doesn't say it isn't an ev does it, so it could be.
Well reasoned. I withdraw my challenge. :roll:
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:11 am
Well reasoned. I withdraw my challenge. :roll:
;) :(
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »