EV Thread

Holley

Re: EV Thread

Post by Holley »

Looking at replacing Mrs Holley's i3 as almost had it 6 years and done 83k. Battery warranty runs out at 100k miles and is a mild concern.

Although she loves it, this long period of windy days has reminded her how rubbish it is in crosswinds on dual carriageways.

Looked at all the potentials (has to be electric as she loves the way they drive and cheap to run), but has been difficult finding a car as small as the i3 yet still feels light and airy inside.

Tried a Cupra Born as Autocar rated it so highly. But surprisingly Mrs H said it felt too slow and found the infotainment set-up annoying (too many sub pages to turn things off).

Tried a Volvo EX30 (Matt Prior hated the constant bongs so nearly didn't bother test driving it. But it was completely fine so don't know if Volvo have since sorted this out). This as close to an i3 in terms of size, movability and feeling of spaciousness. Didn't realise how quick they are (0-60 in 5.3) in standard form so no issues there. Steering felt too light for me, but not my car and she seemed fine with it (felt like a fiat 500 permanently in city mode). Infotainment very easy to use and decent sound system. Usual Volvo comfiness and fairly nice interior. Range was showing 295 miles on a full charge, but I think it's more likely to be 220-250 (plenty after the i3).

Order in. (there's a twin motor version that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Sales guy said it's too much power really as will hilariously spin all 4 wheels off the line. Seems a bit odd in a non sporting hatchback).
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:21 pm
Matty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm I'm still on the Honda-E forum, and even the fanboys ("I only had to stop 4 times to get to my destination! It's part of the adventure!") are warning people about some of the expensive faults that can occur and the warranty being essential (repeated door handle failures (£1k at dealer), simulation braking (£4k at dealer)). Not to mention the fact I think the p/x price is about to drop into 4 figures :shock:
I had in mind a Honda E to keep plugged in and use as a fun appliance but the range is so short even that doesn't seem a good idea, and now there are problems with them (very un-Honda) I'm absolutely not touching them. Have thought about a Mini E as an alternative; much more common than the Honda and similarly priced. Might end up being a replacement for my stepdaughter's Mini in time.
For clarity, I'm not sure if this is unique to the Honda - I've not researched enough to know if this is the same across various brands due to EV's being generally tech-heavy. I noted @mik had a similar large bill...but then, the E-tron is not a cheap car, and I'm not sure if you could face similar bills in its petrol equivalent.

Edit - noted someone mentioning swapping to a Mini EV as their 508 had a 3.5k bill due to needing a new traction battery charger. Quick search suggests this is known (common?) issue with these.
Again, I'm sure it's easy to scour Google looking for EV's with common problems, like you could with an ICE car I suspect, it was more out of interest to see how cost generally compared to ICE considering EV's should have "less to go wrong"
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Specs look almost damn near identical to the old one.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The rumours were that it’d have 600bhp. Obviously not. Still plenty quick enough. Does it need a separate launch to the regular and long range Highland facelift?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The configurator says both motors combined are 460 bhp.
Somethings wrong.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Holley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm Looking at replacing Mrs Holley's i3 as almost had it 6 years and done 83k. Battery warranty runs out at 100k miles and is a mild concern.

Although she loves it, this long period of windy days has reminded her how rubbish it is in crosswinds on dual carriageways.

Looked at all the potentials (has to be electric as she loves the way they drive and cheap to run), but has been difficult finding a car as small as the i3 yet still feels light and airy inside.
The i3s has a wider track and is much more stable but feels more agile when pressing on.

It's a shame they haven't put the new Mini Cooper S EV motor and battery in an i3 as it's fundamentally the same power train!

At 11yrs old with very few failures it gives peace of mind to those who buy a Mini albeit in fwd less roomy guise.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks like the UK Model 3 having less power was correct, it’s because it has an inferior battery pack. So the most powerful Model 3 ever is less powerful than it’s predecessor.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Carlos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm
Holley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm Looking at replacing Mrs Holley's i3 as almost had it 6 years and done 83k. Battery warranty runs out at 100k miles and is a mild concern.

The i3s has a wider track and is much more stable but feels more agile when pressing on.

It's a shame they haven't put the new Mini Cooper S EV motor and battery in an i3 as it's fundamentally the same power train!

At 11yrs old with very few failures it gives peace of mind to those who buy a Mini albeit in fwd less roomy guise.
We did briefly contemplate getting a newer i3 as such a handy little car and has become like a favourite pet.

Also thought about a mini as you mentioned the i3 is pretty reliable and fundamentally a similar car. But just doesn't give that spaciousness appeal of an i3.

A shame BMW didn't keep developing it. I can see it being a bit of an icon in future years.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yes, but a 911 has little things like build quality and character, and also isn't sold by a company which is very publicly and loudly headed by a weird little nazi-adjacent freak.

So, you know, there's that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

His habit of comparing everything to a 911 is a bit odd. Did someone big in Porsche shag one of his girlfriends?!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm Yes, but a 911 has little things like build quality and character, and also isn't sold by a company which is very publicly and loudly headed by a weird little nazi-adjacent freak.

It’s also incorrect.. Turbo S is (US method) 2.2 seconds
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Turbo S (and most 911s) will also launch repeatedly without complaining.

I wonder how many launches you can get out of a Model 3 before it grumbles about it?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My best mate has just bought a 2020 Model 3 performance. For mid £20k's it's crazy quick really. They've not held their money have they!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I had a look at a couple the same in Jan and they were low 20s with sensible mileage.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm Yes, but a 911 has little things like build quality and character, and also isn't sold by a company which is very publicly and loudly headed by a weird little nazi-adjacent freak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand ... Wagens.jpg
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm

😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Behind every German automobile brand, there’s a solid Nazi backing :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Who's the current owner of Porsche, again?

Are they massively signal boosting literal neo Nazis?

No?

Oh.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm

Who's the current owner of Porsche, again?

Are they massively signal boosting literal neo Nazis?

No?

Oh.
do shut up Bean, that was a quality come back from Nut - laugh, it doesn't hurt!