Viewing a Car - POLL

The seller will only give you a postcode, not the actual address. Is this weird ?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm

Yes
55%
No
30%
It's a silver BMW, isn't it ?
15%

Total votes: 20

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Viewing a Car - POLL

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sparked by a conversation with Gavster.

This has happened a couple of times - a seller that won't give you their house number, just a postcode and wants you to phone them when you get to that road.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Viewing a Car - POLL

Post by Gavster »

5+ years ago I would have said weird, however, things seem to be different now. Even my bike mechanic said the same thing the first time I used him.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Same happened when we bought a motorhome a couple of years ago.

Cheeky twat did a drive by a mile or so from her house to see if we looked decent lol
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

TBH its pretty pointless from a car selling perspective, a postcode is plenty for a miscreant to locate the vehicle.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

See also those car storage warehouses - “central London location” and then you see they’re very much no in central London.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Seems pointless. If I was going to nick it, I'd just drive down and either find it parked on the drive, as a postcode is a fairly small geographic area, or I'd say "OK, I'm here" and get you to send the house number and not turn up anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:46 pm See also those car storage warehouses - “central London location” and then you see they’re very much no in central London.
That just means 'inside the M25' surely?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It’s very weird. My postcode links to about 5 houses. Even if the car in question is stored in a garage it’s not difficult to whittle it down to which one, especially if the photos in their advert are taken on their own drive. It’s just fucking dumb
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Even though it doesn’t really make much difference at all addresses I think mine is 1 of about 30 possible houses.

If theirs is similar I can see why people are a bit weary. I’ve spoken to a couple of friends who have had some very dodgy buyers of cars and quite intimidating characters trying to scam them.

Dave!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

It’s just another level of effort that a potential thief has to employ and, as they tend to go for the easiest option, I can understand why people would do that.
Cheers,

Ian
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Just double checked. My postcode only links to 7 houses. Not much effort to check 7 houses that sit one after the other
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yes, but are they going to break into 7 houses looking for the key to your car? Like I said, it just makes it more effort for them and they tend to go for the easiest option
Cheers,

Ian
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Depends if the car is parked outside, or if the photos were taken on the driveway.

If you Google my postcode it's extremely obvious which house is mine :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 am Yes, but are they going to break into 7 houses looking for the key to your car? Like I said, it just makes it more effort for them and they tend to go for the easiest option
Depends on the car. 1l fiesta, no. Porsche 911 turbo s getting stolen to order- possibly.

Or if it’s a Range Rover just walk around with the fob extender thingy until something flashes