Dangerous beers...

Mito Man

Re: Dangerous beers...

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
I haven’t had a 0% beer in a years, this was alright and had an ice tea aftertaste. But I don’t think I’d call it beer - more of a soft drink. Meh, will just buy a coke next time.
Also I’m surprised that the back of the bottle says 18+…?
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some.
I had that Brains stuff in Cardiff, was decent.
What are the chances, this turned up in on of the locals today. Rude not to have a few pints.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:03 pm I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
I haven’t had a 0% beer in a years, this was alright and had an ice tea aftertaste. But I don’t think I’d call it beer - more of a soft drink. Meh, will just buy a coke next time.
Of the non-dangerous types I prefer the the Lucky Saint ones. They are beer enough to be an acceptable substitute when needed.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:58 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some.
I had that Brains stuff in Cardiff, was decent.
What are the chances, this turned up in on of the locals today. Rude not to have a few pints.

How strange! It was only because it popped up at a mate's local that he told me about it. Maybe they're having a bit of a push to get it back out there?
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:46 pm The door's that way gents >>>> :lol:
I LOL'd

I'm going to take a photo of my cellar (actually a fridge not running really cold) which is full of either sours at 8% or stouts at 10% all aging nicely.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:03 pm I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
Of the non-dangerous types I prefer the the Lucky Saint ones. They are beer enough to be an acceptable substitute when needed.
The best N/A beer is Erdinger. Guinness is apparently good but I haven’t tried it yet.

My cooking beer from the before times was Brooklyn Lager, could (and did) drink that all day.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Of the N/A beers I've tried, Guinness is ok, Old Speckled Hen and Ghost Ship are both respectable offerings too. I keep seeing the Days stuff advertised, want to give that a go.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’ve quite enjoyed the regular ghost ship, I’ll have to give the N/A version a try.
mik

Post by mik »

Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:35 pm I’ve quite enjoyed the regular ghost ship, I’ll have to give the N/A version a try.
Yeah, I like the regular one. It's not a patch on that, does taste very different, but ok in its own right.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
I get that, sometimes I have found that I don't want something sweet though, and you don't want a huge glass of tonic water if your friend is on pints. I don't drink it a lot, but in some situations it works.

Oh, I often drink that Estrella Galicia at Caffeine & Machine, just because it's what they've got, but actually I think it's not bad.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
This.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I rarely get them, I’d rather have kombucha. Erdinger is handy if you don’t want to have a pile of sugar/sweeteners as it’s what’s in most bars.
An absolute unit
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I had a Guiness Zero on Friday at the Pub before tea time, best alcohol free beer I've tasted. I don't drink beer often.

I always carry a litre of water to stay hydrated (important as my Kidneys don't work well). But as I have to avoid caffeine and alcohol, I often end up with limited choice of drinks at pubs.

uploadimage
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Guinness zero is also a good non-dangerous beer.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Typical lite Swedish beer due to the 3.5% limit but refreshing and nice hoppy flavour. Would drink again.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Oooh, I've got quite a lot of north-of-the-border favourites. Some might even be available in Englandshire.

Everything from Williams Brothers Brewery:
Joker - Nice meaty IPA. It's my go-to pint. There's a double Joker too, but it's a bit OTT - proper stand-a-spoon-up-in-it thick.
Birds and Bees - Elderflower summer ale - great for gulping on a hot day
Ceasar Augustus - Lager/IPA hybrid. Great when you want something a little lighter/more refreshing

Most of the stuff from Drygate, but especially this:

I was a bit sceptical about some of the flavoured beers, but Disco is an absolute winner, as is one called "Last Mango in Balloch"

I also only discovered a year or so ago that the Pilot brewery is in an unassuming warehouse about 100 yards from my house. Their Peach Melba Sour is pretty tasty to kick a night off.

A couple of our local places - Barney's, Campervan and Moonwalk have also recently opened tap rooms, and I've been very much enjoying the direct-from-source beer as an alternative to the pub.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

To bring a counter-cultural edge to this thread and talk about the most non-dangerous beers, I've spent the last few months trying all the low/no alcohol beers I can find in the main supermarkets and there's been one very, very clear winner, Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPA.

It's the first zero alcohol beer where I've genuinely wanted to plough through the entire pack. Everyone raves about Guinness 0% and that stuff is nice, but it's still boring after one can. The Athletic Brewing IPA is in a different class, it's got none of that sweetness that NA beers often have (such as the Erdinger) and would absolutely pass a blind taste test alongside regular IPAs. Even my dad, who's a die-hard ale drinker thinks it is fantastic.

The only problem is that it's hard to find. Tesco did stock it, however I've not seen any on the shelves in any of my locals for a few weeks. Cases are available from other sellers online, however they come in at nearly double what it costs in Tesco. If you see it at the £5 per 4 pack, grab me a slab.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /312848087
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It's a fiver a pack on Ocado if they deliver to your area?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

16vCento wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:33 pm It's a fiver a pack on Ocado if they deliver to your area?
Amazing, great spot! Going to order a load asap, thanks!