Motorway Mile Munchers

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Motorway Mile Munchers

Post by IanF »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 am What about a BMW 8 GC?
Or Alpina Dn?
Cheers,

Ian
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am Yes LS is on the list but all hybrids command quite a premium so they come across as very overpriced for a car which will also depreciate to shed money eventually and have much more to go wrong.
Go wrong? It's a Lexus, FiL put about 500k on a LS400 and 430 and the only failure over 20 years was the Levison amp in the 430 at 15 years old. They are under appreciated so, granted the depreciation is quite heavy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am Yes LS is on the list but all hybrids command quite a premium so they come across as very overpriced for a car which will also depreciate to shed money eventually and have much more to go wrong.
Go wrong? It's a Lexus, FiL put about 500k on a LS400 and 430 and the only failure over 20 years was the Levison amp in the 430 at 15 years old. They are under appreciated so, granted the depreciation is quite heavy.
Look at the hybrid variants, they suffer from faults related to it. This can be negated by servicing it with Lexus to get a years warranty thrown in, however it would need a service every 5 months as the interval is at 10,000 miles and
that’s at whatever price they wish to charge.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

He's put a deposit down on a diesel XJ in deepest darkest North England. Beige exterior, with beige interior and wooden steering wheel. :shock:
I have been requested to give him a "quick lift" to Middlesbrough sometime this weekend to check that the car isn't a lemon. FFS.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's a 600+ mile round-trip. Considered taking the train?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:03 pm I have been requested to give him a "quick lift" to Middlesbrough
Lol, I'm in Leeds and even I don't consider Middlesbrough to be a 'quick lift' sort of journey :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just looked at the train, 2 return tickets from Folkestone will cost ...£424.40 Or £350.00 from St Pancras.

The logistics of this are challenging as I'll arrive at Heathrow airport at 8pm on Friday.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I had a project in Middlesborough. The cheapest and quickest route used to be flying from Heathrow to Teeside (there used to be a flight out in the morning, then one back in the afternoon).

Annoyingly they cancelled the service shortly after we started on site. It's a FUCKING long drive as we found out. The train wasn't so bad.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:09 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:03 pm I have been requested to give him a "quick lift" to Middlesbrough
Lol, I'm in Leeds and even I don't consider Middlesbrough to be a 'quick lift' sort of journey :lol:
I get that from time to time from my MIL - Sunday afternoon around 15:30 to 16:00. "Would I mind popping down to Plaistow to give her a lift home from her sisters - she "doesn't fancy" getting the train"

Although in your case - quality time with your dad - presume you'll drive his 6 series - make a day of it. Nice lunch stop somewhere ?? Could be worse...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:03 pm He's put a deposit down on a diesel XJ in deepest darkest North England. Beige exterior, with beige interior and wooden steering wheel. :shock:
I have been requested to give him a "quick lift" to Middlesbrough sometime this weekend to check that the car isn't a lemon. FFS.
That has "euuww, no" written all over it. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:09 pm
I get that from time to time from my MIL - Sunday afternoon around 15:30 to 16:00. "Would I mind popping down to Plaistow to give her a lift home from her sisters - she "doesn't fancy" getting the train"

Although in your case - quality time with your dad - presume you'll drive his 6 series - make a day of it. Nice lunch stop somewhere ?? Could be worse...
My 6 series, although he can happily drive it up whilst I nap 😂
Yes, I’m thinking fish and chips in Whitby.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:58 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:03 pm He's put a deposit down on a diesel XJ in deepest darkest North England. Beige exterior, with beige interior and wooden steering wheel. :shock:
That has "euuww, no" written all over it. :lol:
Yes it sounds pretty bad, he sent me a link to the ad but I think the dealer must have pulled it as it’s a dead link.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, beige on beige. When I was trying to find a Superb 280 I talked to a Skoda dealer in Sheffield and all was going really well until he mentioined the netallic brown exterior and beige leather. I could probably have lived with the beige leather with black or very dark grey exterior and the brown was actually quite nice, but despite my children telling me I am old, I still pretend I am not.

I must admit, with the demise of the V5 engines, Volvos have become less attractive.

A shame as I do not find the Superb seats to be a patch on swedish cars or my Mercedes seats, even.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have received pictures. 1 owner, 11,000 miles, “not a blemish on it”
Train option looking more appealing now, would mean I can sit in the back on the return journey to check if the massage function is working correctly.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 pm My 6 series, although he can happily drive it up whilst I nap 😂
Yes, I’m thinking fish and chips in Whitby.
Oh sorry mate, I thought that was his.

Yeah Whitby Fish and Chips would be a must… Sherlock Holmes Cafe is good for a brew
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

They have very little headroom. I looked at one last year. My head didn’t just touch the headlining, it touched the glass of the sunroof.

Seemed nice otherwise.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The colour is ok, though it does make the random XJ black c pillars stand out even more.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That will be a cracking place to be on long journeys 😎

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Might be worth throwing some revels at @Zonda_ if he has the time? Not too far away and has experience of jag (un)reliability? I’m not too far away but no idea about jaaaaaags
Last edited by jamcg on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That's rather lovely - the description he gave you does not do it justice.