Dangerous beers...

Mito Man

Re: Dangerous beers...

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
I haven’t had a 0% beer in a years, this was alright and had an ice tea aftertaste. But I don’t think I’d call it beer - more of a soft drink. Meh, will just buy a coke next time.
Also I’m surprised that the back of the bottle says 18+…?
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some.
I had that Brains stuff in Cardiff, was decent.
What are the chances, this turned up in on of the locals today. Rude not to have a few pints.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:03 pm I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
I haven’t had a 0% beer in a years, this was alright and had an ice tea aftertaste. But I don’t think I’d call it beer - more of a soft drink. Meh, will just buy a coke next time.
Of the non-dangerous types I prefer the the Lucky Saint ones. They are beer enough to be an acceptable substitute when needed.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:58 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some.
I had that Brains stuff in Cardiff, was decent.
What are the chances, this turned up in on of the locals today. Rude not to have a few pints.

How strange! It was only because it popped up at a mate's local that he told me about it. Maybe they're having a bit of a push to get it back out there?
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:46 pm The door's that way gents >>>> :lol:
I LOL'd

I'm going to take a photo of my cellar (actually a fridge not running really cold) which is full of either sours at 8% or stouts at 10% all aging nicely.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:03 pm I’ve had a very non-dangerous beer today because I was using a chainsaw and driving afterwards.
Of the non-dangerous types I prefer the the Lucky Saint ones. They are beer enough to be an acceptable substitute when needed.
The best N/A beer is Erdinger. Guinness is apparently good but I haven’t tried it yet.

My cooking beer from the before times was Brooklyn Lager, could (and did) drink that all day.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Of the N/A beers I've tried, Guinness is ok, Old Speckled Hen and Ghost Ship are both respectable offerings too. I keep seeing the Days stuff advertised, want to give that a go.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’ve quite enjoyed the regular ghost ship, I’ll have to give the N/A version a try.
mik

Post by mik »

Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:35 pm I’ve quite enjoyed the regular ghost ship, I’ll have to give the N/A version a try.
Yeah, I like the regular one. It's not a patch on that, does taste very different, but ok in its own right.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
I get that, sometimes I have found that I don't want something sweet though, and you don't want a huge glass of tonic water if your friend is on pints. I don't drink it a lot, but in some situations it works.

Oh, I often drink that Estrella Galicia at Caffeine & Machine, just because it's what they've got, but actually I think it's not bad.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm Non-alcoholic beers don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a water or a "proper" soft drink.
This.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I rarely get them, I’d rather have kombucha. Erdinger is handy if you don’t want to have a pile of sugar/sweeteners as it’s what’s in most bars.
An absolute unit
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I had a Guiness Zero on Friday at the Pub before tea time, best alcohol free beer I've tasted. I don't drink beer often.

I always carry a litre of water to stay hydrated (important as my Kidneys don't work well). But as I have to avoid caffeine and alcohol, I often end up with limited choice of drinks at pubs.

uploadimage
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Guinness zero is also a good non-dangerous beer.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Typical lite Swedish beer due to the 3.5% limit but refreshing and nice hoppy flavour. Would drink again.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Oooh, I've got quite a lot of north-of-the-border favourites. Some might even be available in Englandshire.

Everything from Williams Brothers Brewery:
Joker - Nice meaty IPA. It's my go-to pint. There's a double Joker too, but it's a bit OTT - proper stand-a-spoon-up-in-it thick.
Birds and Bees - Elderflower summer ale - great for gulping on a hot day
Ceasar Augustus - Lager/IPA hybrid. Great when you want something a little lighter/more refreshing

Most of the stuff from Drygate, but especially this:

I was a bit sceptical about some of the flavoured beers, but Disco is an absolute winner, as is one called "Last Mango in Balloch"

I also only discovered a year or so ago that the Pilot brewery is in an unassuming warehouse about 100 yards from my house. Their Peach Melba Sour is pretty tasty to kick a night off.

A couple of our local places - Barney's, Campervan and Moonwalk have also recently opened tap rooms, and I've been very much enjoying the direct-from-source beer as an alternative to the pub.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"