Re: Teh Spotted Thread

Post by Mito Man »

What happens if you flick the ‘experiences’ switch? :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The interior looks more Chinese than the exterior to me.

If the central orb had a different image on, it could be quite North Korean.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 am Re New Mini, that dashboard is a fucking joke

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/mini ... r-pictures
I still greatly prefer it to the Tomy / Yaris disaster.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That MINI dash is hilariously bad :lol:

I was joining the A34 Tues evening (at one of those roundabouts where you have to take your chance and go for it, hence couldn't get a pic) and I thought there was a kei-car type minivan behind me, all stickered up. Turns out it was actually a pick-up! Sounded frisky, but didn't get to see much more of what it was as it headed the opposite direction to me.

Not very "Wilmslow", that's for certain.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What have Mini done? That circular screen makes me think of Gamesmaster and Patrick Moore for some reason. Like it will just be filled with an image of his head and he'll read out what speed you're doing and directions.

I've never really understood any cars which don't at least have the speedo and rev counter directly in front of the driver.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Does the Mini at least have a HUD? It seems like being a circular screen the speed will be even further away from a drivers line of sight than a Tesla which is already shit. You get used to it after a bit, then drive a car which has a speedo directly in front of your line of sight and wonder who the fuck allowed it.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'm so used to having the HUD on the touring that even in cars with a traditional dash, it seems weird to have to move my head a few mm to check the speedo.

Do Teslas not have a HUD? That makes me today number of years old etc when I learned that. I just assumed they did given the layout.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No, it was meant to have one at the concept stage, then Elon said the car doesn’t need one as you won’t even need to drive it, it’ll be full self driving autonomously so there’s no point :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:50 am What have Mini done? That circular screen makes me think of Gamesmaster and Patrick Moore for some reason. Like it will just be filled with an image of his head and he'll read out what speed you're doing and directions.
If that isn't a feature, I really hope someone hacks it to make it so.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

No HUD option on a Tesla.. elec Mini has a hud and shares platform (or something) with the Ora funky cat, so not really surprising the Chinese style interior.

I’m interested to see how AR overtakes HUD with BMW (and Merc?) offering it on their newest cars
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm Elec Mini has a hud and shares platform (or something) with the Ora funky cat, so not really surprising the Chinese style interior.
What?! Is it made in China now? I thought it was similar to the funky cat… BMW aren’t exactly amateurs in the EV world, surprised that they’ve teamed up with Ora which by all accounts the Funky Cat is a really mediocre car.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm No HUD option on a Tesla.. elec Mini has a hud and shares platform (or something) with the Ora funky cat, so not really surprising the Chinese style interior.

I’m interested to see how AR overtakes HUD with BMW (and Merc?) offering it on their newest cars
Yes, am interested to see what the next-gen one looks like. I wish the current one was more configurable (it doesn't have your current gear projected on it which seems bizarre) but I'd definitely always spec one on any new car.

After a year with the current iDrive setup, it's a nice balance between physical controls and ones on the screen. Even the janky looking "tacked-on" widescreen display has grown on me as it allows you to hook your fingers over the back of it when selecting something. The virtual button to select the climate settings is always in the same place and its second nature to hit that now. Even adjusting the air con and heated seats is nowhere near as fiddly as I thought it would be - with them at eye level, I think its better in some ways than having controls lower down the dash.

I do think that's as far as I'd go with getting rid of physical controls though. Some of the stuff I've seen on other cars is madness.
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:56 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm Elec Mini has a hud and shares platform (or something) with the Ora funky cat, so not really surprising the Chinese style interior.
What?! Is it made in China now? I thought it was similar to the funky cat… BMW aren’t exactly amateurs in the EV world, surprised that they’ve teamed up with Ora which by all accounts the Funky Cat is a really mediocre car.
From BMWpressgroup:

“Production of the next generation all-electric MINI Cooper 3-door and MINI Aceman will begin in China. The new manufacturing plant in Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu Province is based on a joint venture with Great Wall Motor. Exports will begin in early 2024.”

GWM Ora 03 (as funky cat is now called)
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm No HUD option on a Tesla.. elec Mini has a hud and shares platform (or something) with the Ora funky cat, so not really surprising the Chinese style interior.

Yes, am interested to see what the next-gen one looks like. I wish the current one was more configurable (it doesn't have your current gear projected on it which seems bizarre) but I'd definitely always spec one on any new car.

After a year with the current iDrive setup, it's a nice balance between physical controls and ones on the screen. Even the janky looking "tacked-on" widescreen display has grown on me as it allows you to hook your fingers over the back of it when selecting something. The virtual button to select the climate settings is always in the same place and its second nature to hit that now. Even adjusting the air con and heated seats is nowhere near as fiddly as I thought it would be - with them at eye level, I think its better in some ways than having controls lower down the dash.

I do think that's as far as I'd go with getting rid of physical controls though. Some of the stuff I've seen on other cars is madness.
Interesting.. Actually, can you get HUD on a 911? Seems strange if not.
Cheers,

Ian
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Finger lickin good.

But I now have a restraining order.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

E90 M3 in white. I can't remember the last time I saw one, this looked standard and immaculate and pulled off the weird trick of standing out while not standing out. I'm not sure if that's because it was standard (and likely on the smallest wheels), or that now everything has an M/AMG/R/wotevs badge on and aggressiv styling it looked understated and demure (no Doug, not you).
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:28 pm E90 M3 in white. I can't remember the last time I saw one, this looked standard and immaculate and pulled off the weird trick of standing out while not standing out. I'm not sure if that's because it was standard (and likely on the smallest wheels), or that now everything has an M/AMG/R/wotevs badge on and aggressiv styling it looked understated and demure (no Doug, not you).
I saw a saloon the other day. Looked fab.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

An old Volvo driving through central Stockholm. Something it has done for over 50 years but which will be illegal come January.
End of an era as all petrol and diesel cars will be banned. Even plug in hybrids bought today.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Oof :( I saw a Whizkid earlier that I've seen about all my driving life (I might have posted a pic in the past), and it looks the same now as it did when I first saw it. It was parked in a disabled bay, the first time I've seen it in one so presumably the car will be more useful than ever for getting about. It would be horrible for people in that position to lose the use of their transport - and it feels wrong - but I don't know how it could be resolved when there's a blanket ban :(

Stockholm (even if it seems a bittersweet visit) 8-)