Parking space widths

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Parking space widths

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:38 am I think by now most of them have either failed and been scrapped, failed and been fixed, or never were going to and never are going to fail. They're 15-20 year old cars now, etc.
times marching on Beany - M3s could be 18-24 years old - and cooking e46s could be almost 27 years old!

There were plenty of people on the internet (and even on here) saying it will happen to every M3.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:49 am
Beany wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:38 am I think by now most of them have either failed and been scrapped, failed and been fixed, or never were going to and never are going to fail. They're 15-20 year old cars now, etc.
times marching on Beany - M3s could be 18-24 years old - and cooking e46s could be almost 27 years old!

There were plenty of people on the internet (and even on here) saying it will happen to every M3.
No, don't say that, Battlestar Galactica is still an exciting and new scifi show and the facelift 306 still looks fresh....

And yeah, a lot of that sort of stuff is just because internet forums - particularly one make ones - are a self selecting group. Of course you'll find results for rear subframe cracks on bimmerforums or whatever, where do people think people go when they have that problem? :roll:

Was it an issue. Yup. Was it common? More than it should have been. Should you watch out for it at an inspection before buying? Absolutely. Did it affect every car? Lolnope :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It depends how they fail, the brother in laws 330 Cab was perfect till he removed the under seal, then he saw the crack.

Whether it really gets bad enough to be felt is another matter. Do they crack with use, age, hitting a kerb too many times etc.

Like all things internet , no-one joins a forum to say how nothing has gone wrong and everything’s fine.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 am If you're genuinely interested, it's similar in character to both, but not as good sounding as either. It feels as quick as the e92 and has that same ability to spin up the rears when using the upper rev range that makes M cars fun.

The MDM mode on the e92 was better than the M1/2 modes on the M2, and both are a million miles better than the useless DSC button on the e46. Though the e46 was less scary to drive with no aids on because it was less powerful/torquey.

As a daily driver, all were very good - but the M2 can do 30+mpg when taking it easy whereas the e92 struggled to get over 20. The e46 wasn't much better. The e92s adaptive suspension was excellent though and gave it 2 truly different modes.
Yes, I may have been a little sarcastic but I am genuinely interested. I always loved the E46 in all its versions; it was like a mini E39 with a fantastic interior, refinement etc but being a bit smaller it was more fun to throw around. I've driven loads and owned a couple; I guess the reason I didn't keep them longer was reliability (the Alpina) and rust (a tiny bubble starting under the paint on the rear arch of my 330i Touring) so with the benefit of hindsight they may have been more appealing when new. Economy was crap in the 6-cylinder ones, certainly :lol:

I've tried quite a few E90/E92s and I just never thought they looked as good, inside or out, though I remember they felt like they drove just as well - I'd expected more of a maturing like between E39 and E60 based on looks alone but it still had that feeling of being compact and chuckable. And I can see why the V8 appeals in the M3 because it was the biggest naturally aspirated engine ever fitted to a 3-series; the F80 M3 with its turbocharged engine felt like a backwards step. I feel like I'm talking myself into trying one now!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Matty wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 pm What about us wealthy folk who have cars nearly 2m wide?
I’m not wealthy, but my focus is only 19mm short of 2m width
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:10 pm
Matty wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 pm What about us wealthy folk who have cars nearly 2m wide?
I’m not wealthy, but my focus is only 19mm short of 2m width
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

You were correct to doubt me. It’s actually 21mm short. I apologise. I’ve brought shame on myself and my family
IMG_1414.png
IMG_1414.png (60.09 KiB) Viewed 118 times
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

100mm wider than my x5 😬
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Presumably that's including mirrors?
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

No one cares about width including mirrors! A Citroen C4 (first random shitbox I clicked on) is 2050mm with mirrors!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

German roadworks care.