Dangerous beers...

DeskJockey

Dangerous beers...

Post by DeskJockey »

On my third Pelforth Brune and it is going down like nobody's business while tasting like heaven. I might regret this later.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Re: Dangerous beers...

Post by mik »

I have assessed your situation. You may consider it APPROVED.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Noted. I may opt for a Pelfourth...
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've not had that, but a Google suggest it's my kind of beer! Will have to look out for it.

Can this be the beer nerds thread?

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Your wish is granted. Hence(Pel)forth this shall be the thread for discussing beers of all kinds.
---
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

If it’s particularly about dangerous beers, I have to recommend that 10% trucker lager that Lidl had recently.

IMG_7464.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpeg (93.55 KiB) Viewed 305 times
mik

Post by mik »

Let it be so.

When do I get barred from the thread for enjoying Bud?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Excellent! I had a London Pride today, mundane but decent value in bulk from Costco. I tend to get a box of London Pride and a Mad Squirrel variety box, covers most bases.

Might have to go to the local beer shop and get something more interesting at the weekend.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

My go to strong beer is Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel 11.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:07 pm Let it be so.

Immediately :lol:

I remember going on a trip to Belgium as a 14 year old on a school trip. That was eye opening for some kids whose only drinking experience was Fosters in the local pub :shock:
Last edited by GG. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:07 pm Let it be so.

Get out! :lol:

Lager wise, I tend to keep Moretti in the house, but it's mostly for guests as I find most people will drink it. I don’t mind it on a hot day if I have no Mad Squirrel.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I find that much above 7/8% the taste tends to suffer, e.g. Westmalle Dubel is excellent - tripel somewhat less so.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I have fond memories of my dad introducing me to Pelforth Brune (and Poker) on a family holiday to France when I was 13. Not sure he was aware that it is 6.5%.

I don't often have beer in the house, so it is a rare treat.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Pelforth was the beer on tap on site at our usual place in France I remember it was pretty pleasant. Going back this year for the first time since 2019 so will reacquaint myself with it then.
Keep a couple of doombars around at most times but I go through phases, ciders (inches and bulmers red berry and lime) and lighter beers (Corona although it stinks of weed and Asahi are the favourites) in summer with the darker stuff in winter.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

8% Ginger beers over summer are a recipe for extreme naptime.

Ginger Kid my favourite although tbh I think 4% leads to a longer more enjoyable session in the sun.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:13 pm I find that much above 7/8% the taste tends to suffer, e.g. Westmalle Dubel is excellent - tripel somewhat less so.
See for me, the tripels and quads are the best Belgian beers. Only certain ones mind you, but that extra strength adds complexity to the flavour. Mind you I love an Imperial Stout too which could be well into double figures. I just drink those in a totally different way to normal beer, much more of a sip and savour.

It's the middle ground I'm not so bothered about, I enjoy a good 3.7% session bitter more than most stuff in the 5% region. For me aside from special cases that 5% bracket adds little as although it can be nice, if you want to have a session it just means you either get to drink less or are battered. :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some. Might try the Gold next as ISTR that was a particular favourite - in that class of malty pale British bitters that were popular before the more American style pale ales took over. See also Hooky Gold, or Hobgoblin Gold. Summer Lightning as well.

Earlier in the week took delivery of some beers from Wiper & True as well - box had been dropped mind, and one had gone off. Not sure how long I'll have to wait to drink the survivors. I'm a huge fan of Wiper & True's offerings - they have quite a wide range of styles but always seem to manage to keep then on the lighter side and crisp. My current fave is their blackcurrant sour, but this batch includes a bottle of their Orchard Ale as well, which is a wild fermented and barrel aged ale, but that's also blended with apple juice from their own orchard (at the malt stage).
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I like the idea of craft beer nerd thread...

Except everything I can show you lot you won't be able to get (with perhaps the exception of Yeastie Boys) and most of the UK stuff we get here is fairly run of the mill. When I was back last Nov/Dec I have to say, I found it pretty difficult to get access to stuff which wasn't quite safe, the range in the supermarkets was there but pretty straight down the middle with nothing flash available. Had more luck raiding the Chatsworth Farm Shop and a couple of the tourist spots in Bakewell. Is the really good craft beer in the UK hiding away from main haunts?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

When in Perth we always go to The Island and I love the red ale.

https://www.theislandeq.com.au/brewery-beers/

Then to the Reveley for some Little Creatures Pale Ale.

At home it’s nearly always just Doom Bar as it goes down so well and I never feel bad on it.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

KiwiDave wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 am …Yeastie Boys…
<round of applause> 8-)

That would obviously work for a craft bakery too.