The Movie Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Road House (New one)

It was alright, Jake Gylenhall was good. It was close enough to the original to be recognisable without being slavish.

Connor McGregor was ridiculous but I’d watch him in more trashy action films tbh.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:26 am Past Lives

Korean, subtitles. Simple love story. But not.

Some beautifully awkward scenes, dripping in warmth and stifled emotion.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5 12-year gaps out of 10 for me.
I saw a trailer for that and it looked good - will check it out
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:42 am Road House (New one)

It was alright, Jake Gylenhall was good. It was close enough to the original to be recognisable without being slavish.

Connor McGregor was ridiculous but I’d watch him in more trashy action films tbh.
it was awful! JG was pretty good, but if you took away him you'd be left with a story that didn't make much sense and kept forgetting what it did in the scene before and CMcG walking around holding his arms like a gorilla!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Your tolerance for crappy movies is way lower than mines though Rich :lol:
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:09 am Your tolerance for crappy movies is way lower than mines though Rich :lol:
I can handle anything except for storylines that don't make sense. I get that good actors, good production and special effects all cost money, but storylines don't cost anything to get right! Theres just no way excuse!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich is right - it was utter tripe...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I haven't seen the original for a long time, but i remember it being a lot more centred around actual fist fights in a RoadHouse (as in a rough bar by the side of a highway) rather than crashing speedboats into a straw roof beach bar?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 pm The number of countries in the world which have an unsanctioned uranium enrichment program and a fleet of Tomcats is ...1.
The 5th gen fighters was just Hollywood dusting but maybe Iran will get some from Russia in exchange for those drones they're giving them?
Jesus fucking christ, it's a Top Gun movie you clown, put the Conpsiracy Nutter 101 handbook away.
Forgot to mention, Top Gun moved to the Nevada desert in 1996 (Fallon), so no beachfront football, sailing, or same house for that matter.. also irl the B21 (or better) would just slap this place out of existence whilst the pilot was still trying to pronounce the pretend country’s name..
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

[media][/media]
mik wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:55 pm Poor Things

Stupendous. 8-)

Dafoe - chapeau sir.

Ruffalo - annoyed me in the first few minutes with a rather questionable accent, but totally redeemed himself.

Ms Stone. Wow :shock: , Bravo. Absolutely deserving of all accolades. :geek:

Loved the way it was shot : flavours of Edward Scissorhands, Terry Gilliam & Steampunk throughout.

Music totally mirrored her journey.

Levels of rampant humping probably higher than I, or my wife, or my children were expecting, but regardless : 9.5 fisheye lense shots out of 10. 8-)
I had no clue what it was about, let Mrs DJ choose and it is quite something to watch. I don't know that I'm any wiser, but it is enjoyable ignorance.

I'll echo your conclusions (minus the bit about children, mine are not of an age to watch this). I'll give it 9 out of 10 "furious jumpings".
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I watched Poor things, I’d agree with a lot of what Mik said - acting/production/etc - I particularly liked the transition from B&W to colour as her intelligence/learning progressed. I thought there were great characters and incidental characters and mostly enjoyed it.

But, I thought it was too long (the section on her “activities” in Paris dragged, though I understand their importance to the characters) and the overall story was a bit lacking a point.

It felt it needed more of a finish after 2 hours than just a “consequence” for a character only introduced in the last 20 minutes. Especially when her motives for going with this character were already lacking.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rebel Moon part 2

And I didn't think anyone could make a worse film than the first Rebel Moon

But Zack Snyder managed it

I feel seriously sorry for anyone involved in this. It must be really hard work to make a film, whether it's good or bad

But to work hard on something this bad must be really heartbreaking...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I initially thought that's baffling how it happens but then remembered that Peter Jackson /& Co made The Hobbits trilogy that sucked beyond reason too.

Rebel Moon Pt1 was so bad, I'm almost tempted to watch pt2 to see if it supplants Screamers as worst Sci Fi movie I've ever seen.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The Continental

It’s really a mini series but each episode is well over an hour long. It’s how the Continental came to be how it is in its current set up.

Episode 1 was a bit strange, the characters are all great but seemed to be missing lots of back story.

Amazing music really sets this apart. Excellent brain out fun.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Went to see Civil War last week.

I really enjoyed it. It's far from the action movie you might think it's going to be if you've seen the trailers. It's essentially a story about war photographers, but also paints a picture of the mindset of the different US sub-cultures. It's a bit like the 2nd half of Full Metal Jacket meets Zombieland. Jessie Plemons absolutely steals the show and he's only in it for about 10mins. Glad I saw it at the cinema as the audio was immense during some of the scenes - artillery had a real "crack" to it and I don't think I've ever seen an audience jump so much. Left thinking that it was very easy to imagine that this could genuinely happen in the US.

A strong 8/10 for me.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

David Leitch double bill this weekend. Finally got around to catching up with Bullet Train Friday which was enjoyably mental action and then suitable enthused went to The Fall Guy today which was more mental, even more fun and suitable enough for the Yoblettes to come along. Great soundtrack too.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:35 pm I haven't seen the original for a long time, but i remember it being a lot more centred around actual fist fights in a RoadHouse (as in a rough bar by the side of a highway) rather than crashing speedboats into a straw roof beach bar?
That was Moonraker at a wedding iirc
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 am Went to see Civil War last week.

I really enjoyed it. It's far from the action movie you might think it's going to be if you've seen the trailers. It's essentially a story about war photographers, but also paints a picture of the mindset of the different US sub-cultures. It's a bit like the 2nd half of Full Metal Jacket meets Zombieland. Jessie Plemons absolutely steals the show and he's only in it for about 10mins. Glad I saw it at the cinema as the audio was immense during some of the scenes - artillery had a real "crack" to it and I don't think I've ever seen an audience jump so much. Left thinking that it was very easy to imagine that this could genuinely happen in the US.

A strong 8/10 for me.
I agree with most of that, I saw it last week and although I doubt I will watch it again, I am very glad I did go. Plemons was absolutely terrifying.
For me, the last few minutes was a little cliched in on aspect, I won't say what but if you have seen it you may well know what I am talking about.
The fact they used real footage of the January insurrection made it all seem scarily possible.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Last Looks - Staring Charlie Hunnam and Mel Gibson

Hunnam plays a ex police detective, living off grid who gets dragged back into society to investigate the murder of Star Actor Mel Gibson's wife on behalf of the movie studio.

Somewhat misses just about everything it's trying to achieve. I think it's a comedy but there aren't enough laughs (though there are a few and Gibson in particular is having a whale of a time playing the alcoholic British thespian). It's a crime investigation but not enough effort is put into why Hunnam's Waldo is considered a super detective or indeed, the reveal of the killer.

And underlying all is the sad certainty that Charlie Hunnam cannot act and certainly can't carry a film as the lead.

A slightly generous 4 out of 10