Bright light, bright light!

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Bright light, bright light!

Post by Ascender »

Presumably there are legal guidelines specifying minimum standards for brake and indicator lights? I saw a few random EV cars today which all had some funky looking rear setup of brake lights and indicators, the latter of which were really difficult to actually make out when activated.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think so, iirc Tavarish said the P1 had the smallest brake lights in terms of surface area which McLaren could legally fit.
So this is the limit
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

There used to be some silly things, like lotus not being able to illuminate both rear lights each side as the box draw around the lamps included the bodywork inbetween which made them not bright enough for the total area. By illuminating just one the box was drawn around that single lamp which made it bright enough. Despite in the real world having twice as many lights lit would make it twice as visible to an actual person.

All these vehicles must meet the required legislation even if it means they don’t work very well in the real world when viewed by humans.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:09 pm There used to be some silly things, like lotus not being able to illuminate both rear lights each side as the box draw around the lamps included the bodywork inbetween which made them not bright enough for the total area.
Ah !! That's interesting, the 360 may have fallen foul of the same thing, despite the characteristic double rear lights, only the outers illuminate normally, the inners are just fog & reverse. It's on my list to investigate the wiring and see if we can have all four as tail lights.

(not my pic)

131641991.jpg
131641991.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 211 times
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Quite possibly. And yes, would look much better if all four could be used as tails
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That makes sense as I’ve seen the twin brake light mod done on a skyline I think.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I was going to mention that, I’m pretty sure it was a common mod on r33 skylines.

I’ve no idea how it would have worked on something like the P1, assume it was changed / updated somehow.
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

Fun fact about motorcycle rear lights, my BMW uses the "indicators" as the rear light (no central main light cluster). Looks odd, confuses people but no-one has run into the back of mine yet..

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Was behind a Honda HR-V for a while today and as far as tiny, indistinguishable indicators go, I think they're the worst yet.

Cheers,

Mike.