EV Thread

Mito Man

Re: EV Thread

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:35 pm Maybe best to comment in this thread rather than start a separate one, but from the experience I have had of EVs as a passenger, the biggest issue with them isn't charging infrastructure, battery longevity, etc. its that the ride in them is absolutely appalling.

At least, for a good number of them at least. My friends Taycan I went in recently was unacceptable stiff laterally and the ID4s that Addison Lee seem to be tranistioning to make me want to vomit out my nose. It doesn't feel like they have a jarring ride from firm suspension in the traditional sense but more that it has far too much anti roll applied in that any bump generates a violent lateral shimmy from side to side that rocks you in your seat. Absolutely horrid sensation.

I'm trying to think back to the last couple of teslas which I've been in as I don't recall feeling that same sensation. I expect the issue is the massive weight somehow needs to be brought under control and that the suspension is set up on a way to deal with that. Obviously our god awful roads really accentuate the issue.
Surprised about the Taycan but I agree about the other EVs. I think it's because they're pretty cheap cars but overweight and as such should really have active dampers or air suspension but at that price point they're not fitted. They seem to end up with soft suspension but rock hard anti roll bars, at least it feels that way. I think CarThrottle described it perfectly in one video as "cars which make your tits jiggle" and that instantly resonated with me :lol:

Edit - it was Throttle House, not carThrottle.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've not had huge experience with EVs but they were no worse than any other modern car IMO, soft springing, harsh rebound. Both mine had sensible rims/profiles though, the Niro rode pretty well tbh. I'll report back next week when the new one arrives, on its 20s and spray on tyres :shock:
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'd go so far as to say if you put me in any car blindfolded with earplugs in I'd be able to guess 9 times out of 10 which was an EV purely by its ride quality. Obviously ICE cars can have bad suspension design too but the nauseating lateral shimmy feeling is very much a BEV thing IME.

Its made all the more acute by the fact I've a 190mph sports car with extremely odd weight distribution which glides along by comparison to a humdrum hatchback (which incidentally, weighs 200kg more than a 4.4 V8 Range Rover - VW ID4 I'm looking at you...).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Followed a bmw ix for a bit today, was surprised how skinny the tyres looked for a big old lump.

255 wide apparently, pathetic 😄
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a 2.6 ton anti-tarsus, true progress 😂

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Something which surprised me, the new Renault Scenic SUV (wait wasn’t the Scenic a shitty people carrier?) now looks like a VW Golf - weighs only 1917kg with a 87kwh battery - which I reckon makes it the lightest car with such a high capacity battery.

However. Why the fuck would you still make it FWD when you can stick the motor anywhere?!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:46 am Something which surprised me, the new Renault Scenic SUV (wait wasn’t the Scenic a shitty people carrier?) now looks like a VW Golf - weighs only 1917kg with a 87kwh battery - which I reckon makes it the lightest car with such a high capacity battery.

However. Why the fuck would you still make it FWD when you can stick the motor anywhere?!
Packaging. More interior space and acknowledging that the target audience cares not one jot about which wheels drive the car.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Yeah, it's odd given that the CMF-EV platform can have a hefty motor in the back for the AWD ones but single motor has to be at the front.

Also:
Mito Man wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:46 pm Looks like my mum is cancelling the Fisker order, the car has an overly sensitive driver assistance program which was promised to be fixed in the major 2.0 update - looking at the new Carwow review which has the update it is no different and there’s nothing else in the pipeline to improve it so it’s a bit of a no go.
..did she cancel?

The rumoured talks with Nissan have collapsed, delisted from the NYSE, looks like (another) bankruptcy looming.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Did she see MKBHD's Fisker Ocean review? Pretty scathing by all accounts.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

simon_g wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:06 am Yeah, it's odd given that the CMF-EV platform can have a hefty motor in the back for the AWD ones but single motor has to be at the front.
not really that surprising, there's a big space at the front of a car above/below/in front of/between legs and crash structures to put a big motor and there's a big space that wants to be kept for luggage at the back.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

simon_g wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:06 am Yeah, it's odd given that the CMF-EV platform can have a hefty motor in the back for the AWD ones but single motor has to be at the front.

Also:
Mito Man wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:46 pm Looks like my mum is cancelling the Fisker order, the car has an overly sensitive driver assistance program which was promised to be fixed in the major 2.0 update - looking at the new Carwow review which has the update it is no different and there’s nothing else in the pipeline to improve it so it’s a bit of a no go.
..did she cancel?

The rumoured talks with Nissan have collapsed, delisted from the NYSE, looks like (another) bankruptcy looming.
No, car build was finalised and VIN issued so her deposit non refundable at that point. Told her to leave it because if Fisker went bankrupt she could try a chargeback from her credit card company rather than forfeiting £800.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Fisker Extremes being discounted to $37,500 across the pond. If they sell them for a little over £30,000 here that's still worth it :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Someone tried to sell theirs and no car dealer would buy it, tried WBAC and got quoted £150 :lol: Thought it was a troll, entered an Ocean plate on WBAC and £150 :shock:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

🤔
Attachments
IMG_6483.png
IMG_6483.png (158.81 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I get where they are going with it but some of the claims are quite the stretch 😂

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What utter tosh. If the electric vehicle architecture and infrastructure had benefited from a century's worth of development, it is unlikely that any of that would hold true.

People would look at the ICE powered cars with horror. They smell, emit poisonous gases, they're very noisy, and what do you mean I'll have to drive around with 50-100L of highly flammable and toxic fluid in a tank in the car? I have to pour it in myself? Where's my hazmat suit?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

To be fair commercially available ICE cars have been around for years longer than EVs - 1885 v 1889...

Funnily enough, I'm standing next to one right now!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I remember Jay Leno featuring a few 100 year old EVs from his garage on his Youtube channel. What was most surprising was that they had a range of about 60-80 miles back then. They even had rapid battery swapping capability. Which really shows that the technology is better now but the ideas aren't anything new and the problems remain the same!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If electric cars came first then none of us would be on this forum.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:55 am If electric cars came first then none of us would be on this forum.

Dave!
No but we could have been on

Ev - o

The thrill of charging