Jerry can recommendations

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Jerry can recommendations

Post by Jobbo »

I think I'll be using a bit more petrol in my mower than previously - I used to get through less than 10l per year but I have a bit more cutting to do now. So I'm intending to get a jerry can. There seem to be plenty of 20l metal jerry cans on Amazon for £20-25 delivered but I suspect they may be of variable quality and maybe not properly meeting the required standards. Anyone have a recommendation of where/which to buy from personal experience?

And am I barking up the wrong tree with a metal jerry can? I know you can't have more than 10l stored in a plastic container but that does mean it's less unwieldy and hopefully a bit easier to pour.
dinny_g

Re: Jerry can recommendations

Post by dinny_g »

I bought a 20l can in B&Q in 2003 when I bought my first house. It's still in surprisingly good condition. Can't remember what I paid for it but they're going for about the £30 mark.

I went for a metal can because the Plastic ones used to Swell alarmingly when the garage got hot in the summer.. :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You can buy a spout for metal Jerry cans so you won’t have to call the environment agency each time you fill your mower.
Halfords sell 20l Jerry cans and they’re fine despite being quite tinny.
If you have a military show/event locally that’s where to find the best ex mod/nato jerry cans. They last forever. They’re probably on eBay too but posting will be expensive.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

You need to speak to @scotta or @Nefarious . Those who race on a budget do a lot of fuel storing and pouring. And if they are based in Scotland, spillage is - of course - minimal.

You'll need a decent funnel.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 am You need to speak to @scotta or @Nefarious . Those who race on a budget do a lot of fuel storing and pouring. And if they are based in Scotland, spillage is - of course - minimal.

Advice from @Mito Man is spot on. they were ex military cans that we inherited from Barry when Neil bought the team kit.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mine doesn't have a spout - I just use a funnel...

Should I be calling the Environment Agency :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:07 am You can buy a spout for metal Jerry cans so you won’t have to call the environment agency each time you fill your mower.
Halfords sell 20l Jerry cans and they’re fine despite being quite tinny.
If you have a military show/event locally that’s where to find the best ex mod/nato jerry cans. They last forever. They’re probably on eBay too but posting will be expensive.
I know nothing about Jerry cans, but my immediate first thought was an army surplus store as well
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

This is the chap to ask.

Banal Vapid Platitudes
dan

Post by dan »

We've got about half a dozen here of various vintages all the way up to a recent one from screwfix. They all store and pour fuel. Just get whatever's the most convenient.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

If anyone can...
Jerry can
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:17 am
mik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 am You need to speak to @scotta or @Nefarious . Those who race on a budget do a lot of fuel storing and pouring. And if they are based in Scotland, spillage is - of course - minimal.

Advice from @Mito Man is spot on. they were ex military cans that we inherited from Barry when Neil bought the team kit.
I remember filling them up with Neil once en route to Knockhill.

To be honest the filler is up high under the bonnet on my mower and I think I might get a 10l plastic can for now. A full 20l jerry can is going to be relatively heavy to hold up high while attempting to pour into a funnel.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I find rotating it 90 degrees makes for an easier pour. Same goes for engine oil, screen wash fluid etc
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:58 am
scotta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:17 am

I remember filling them up with Neil once en route to Knockhill.

To be honest the filler is up high under the bonnet on my mower and I think I might get a 10l plastic can for now. A full 20l jerry can is going to be relatively heavy to hold up high while attempting to pour into a funnel.
Solution

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-t ... s-mks3003/
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

You used to need a licence to store more than 30 litres and that may be less in our nanny state now.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well it's not exactly a licence, you usually let the local authority fire brigade know about it and that's that. Can't remember what they call it.
If you want to store hundreds of litres+ then you pay a one off amount which isn't much to get a licence but the main cost is that once you get into those quantities you have to have a proper fuel storage tank. I just remember all the farmers getting pissed off because oil barrels were no longer acceptable for fuel storage. But racing fuel is still sold in those barrels :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Surely the correct solution is to road register the mower and drive it to the petrol station, then you don't need to buy a new jerry can?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimexpl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 pm Surely the correct solution is to road register the mower and drive it to the petrol station, then you don't need to buy a new jerry can?
:lol: It might take longer to get there and back than it does to mow the lawn.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:48 am If anyone can...
Jerry can
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I have 2x20 litre ones I use in the Defender but don’t think I’ve touched them in 10 years.

For needing small amounts of fuel, a Jerry Can style 10 litre one is perfect. A decent amount of fuel, easy to pour and still nice and sturdy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUkbGHF ... c3Rvcnk%3D

A genius piece of design.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

@V8Granite I've wanted a proper Jerry can for ages as I agree they are an awesome design. But I've never had a need for one.... 20l is really too much for mower+chainsaw+leaf hoover+strimmer. I'd forgotten you could get short 10l versions though - just ordered one. 8-)