Home CCTV

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Home CCTV

Post by Sundayjumper »

Matty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:39 pm Hikvision have a massive array of cameras with overlapping functions so trying to pick one out if a nightmare.
And then other manufacturers too. All seemingly similar but different. I gave up. I only bought the ones I did because there was a great deal on them, I'd still be going in circles otherwise.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Are there any good solutions out there for motion-detected cams which can use battery and solar power only? Looking for something I could stick on a shipping container which would be in the middle of a field basically, for a bit of extra security...
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am Are there any good solutions out there for motion-detected cams which can use battery and solar power only? Looking for something I could stick on a shipping container which would be in the middle of a field basically, for a bit of extra security...
I use amazon blink cameras. They run on lithium batteries. Last for about 2 or 3 months dependant on traffic. Quality is decent and the footage is held in the cloud. Annual subscription of about £40. £42 per camera. mobile app for control and review.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Blink/B ... 40A18AF567

Edit - Just read the in a field bit. These need wifi connectivity so you'd need a mifi device. BUT that would give you realtime access to see whats going on.
mik

Post by mik »

@Ascender Ring stick-up cams also have a solar panel. Same wifi challenge as @scotta mentions above.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Reolink do 4G cameras for off grid applications. Fine if you want just 1.

We ended up with a 350w solar panel, 12v battery, inverter, 4g router which goes off to 4 more outdoor routers and 40 ring cameras.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 am ….and 40 ring cameras.
:shock:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks everyone, that's given me a good start. I kind of thought there would be a few challenges with this, but one camera might do the job.

40 Ring cameras @Mito Man!?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah… Having real time cameras has been a game changer for us. Being in a rural area we always had problems with people trespassing, theft, fly tipping, cutting fences which then led to animals escaping, people on quad bikes would tie a rope to a fence post, pull it out with quad bike then go for a hoon, illegal shoots, I was repairing fences every week.

Then Ring cameras came out and they were covered against theft too. So started putting them up in problem areas, and eventually most of the perimeter. Stick 2 cameras opposite each other on a fence post or tree and it gives near enough 360 vision.
Just like Pavlov’s dogs which salivated at the sound of a bell I managed to train the twats that a siren going off means to piss off as they’re being recorded. No problems in the last 3 years.
The above camera was pretty good, I put it up in a fly tipping spot (pic taken from small countryside lane).
In the morning I see someone has tipped rubbish during the night. The next night the same person came and collected it again - they must have spotted the cameras during the day.
How about not having a sig at all?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am Are there any good solutions out there for motion-detected cams which can use battery and solar power only? Looking for something I could stick on a shipping container which would be in the middle of a field basically, for a bit of extra security...
I have a few Eufy cameras (as I don't want the perpetual subs and they use internal micro SD for storage while they upload just a thumbnail to the cloud). This might fit the bill: https://uk.eufy.com/products/t86p2321?r ... 2_5_1_copy
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:10 pm
I have a few Eufy cameras (as I don't want the perpetual subs and they use internal micro SD for storage while they upload just a thumbnail to the cloud). This might fit the bill: https://uk.eufy.com/products/t86p2321?r ... 2_5_1_copy
That looks very interesting, thanks @drcarlos.
Cheers,

Mike.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I've been very happy with my Eufy cameras.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We've an Arlo doorbell and they do cameras as well, with solar add on. They also still have a very reasonable subscription charge compared to the bigger name rivals.

I haven't got a camera, just the doorbell, but very happy with the app and the quality of footage.

Call me a tin foil hatter but I wanted to steer clear of anything Chinese owned, which rather limited the options. Not that I think the septics are much better.