Project Binky

NGRhodes

Re: Project Binky

Post by NGRhodes »

The car has always sucked as a concept*, it was always about the build and now the build is yawn.

*It's no more than a show car, full of bespoke parts, with no consideration for drivability, performance or handling. It will never be driven anywhere as too risky getting damaged and not being able to replace the parts (or taking months more videos...).
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s always the problem with channels that focus on one build. This stage of the build is boring, most of the fun stuff is done and now it’s just fiddly assembly.

There’s a reason why a lot of projects get scrapped at around this stage :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Follow Driftworks for a great series of interesting projects, Supercharged EVO Shoguns, V10 E46 M3s and E30 V8s etc

They really do great videos and are likeable people, it’s also far more realistic with the hurdles and issues they have.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I usually prefer channels that have a couple of projects on the go. I can just skip the boring wiring videos and watch the interesting ones.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

New BOM trailer on FaceyB

Has about six frames of Binky content.

scotta

Post by scotta »

Just spotted this has appeared also - yet to watch.

simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Patreon update: they're editing episode 39. Will it be done in less than a year after 38? :lol:

Oh, and they're selling switches now: https://badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/sh ... ve-switch/
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
scotta

Post by scotta »

simon_g wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:23 pm Patreon update: they're editing episode 39. Will it be done in less than a year after 38? :lol:

Oh, and they're selling switches now: https://badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/sh ... ve-switch/
10 months and counting...
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:53 pm
They at least, get the funk on.

There is a video of Rich and a man with a nice beard working on a 100 year old car but not a lot else I can see.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

38 was end of April 2023. Patreon update that went with that new trailer said "a few weeks away". Somehow they still have nearly 3000 paying Patreon folk.
scotta

Post by scotta »

simon_g wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 am 38 was end of April 2023. Patreon update that went with that new trailer said "a few weeks away". Somehow they still have nearly 3000 paying Patreon folk.
Thats a bit mad.
mik

Post by mik »

Wow - 3563 patreons with 2 options.
https://www.patreon.com/badobsessionmotorsport

So that's a monthly income somewhere between £7,126 and £16,033, for not a whole lot of content..... :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Graphtreon data (which just comes straight from the Patreon API) suggests plenty of people agreed.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/badobsessionmotorsport

They've lost nearly half their patrons since their peak in 2021 (4900, to 2900 and falling) - I think there are some categories of Patron who aren't counted, which might account for the difference in numbers between the Patreon page and Graphtreon.

You can see an increase in patrons when they announced more content coming soon, then continuing to bleed them when that wasn't forthcoming.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's just mad. They've taken around £100-180k for doing nothing at all (that we can see)?

I'll set up a Patreon too and you can all pay me to not make videos.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's pretty distasteful really. As soon as it became apparent that they were going to struggle to put out more content they should have been cutting their Patreons. I'm not sure what options are available to those running on Patreon, whether they can set subs costs to zero so they can keep their accounts and Patreons active in the event of future updates, but there's no way I could continue to take money from people with a clear conscience.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm a patron for someone who does daily content, and we have to tell him "no, don't pause your payments because you were in hospital for two weeks this month, that's not how this works, you're allowed to be ill". So, like, literally the opposite problem :lol:

Throughout that he still managed to put out updates and dig into the archives for older stuff that he reckoned new patrons might not have seen, seeing as not everyone goes four years back in an archive of patron posts, etc.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:33 pm It's pretty distasteful really. As soon as it became apparent that they were going to struggle to put out more content they should have been cutting their Patreons. I'm not sure what options are available to those running on Patreon, whether they can set subs costs to zero so they can keep their accounts and Patreons active in the event of future updates, but there's no way I could continue to take money from people with a clear conscience.
If you wait another 6 months they may put out another outtake video though...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sooner or later there'll be another YouTuber doing a story about the scam of it. I cancelled mine (this was the only thing I've ever patreoned) after it was clear they couldn't give a fuck about finishing it.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Isn’t it down to the individual patrons? If I was paying for something and not getting value for money, I wouldn’t hesitate to chop it. Or are people locked in to it?

On the other hand, £2 a month is the sort of payment that slips under the radar…
(Speaks the man who accidentally paid for a second TV licence for 9 years)