Post by SSO »

Just did an analysis of Aston Martin's 2023 Results: 

https://karenable.com/astonmartins-fy-2023/

Thoughts?
RobYob

Re: Aston Martin's 2023 Results: Turtle Flambé

Post by RobYob »

Grim.

Possible typo? "In fact, they shipped over 50% what would have been the expected Q4 demand based on the prior 3 quarters of 2023" should be "shipped 50% over"?

With delays to their EV and Mid-engined car I can't see any reason to hope AML won't be completely left in the dust.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:28 pm Grim.

Possible typo? "In fact, they shipped over 50% what would have been the expected Q4 demand based on the prior 3 quarters of 2023" should be "shipped 50% over"?

With delays to their EV and Mid-engined car I can't see any reason to hope AML won't be completely left in the dust.
Yes, at a minimum it's a bit awkward. Corrected & thanks.

To a large extent, they already are.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've read that twice now and I'm still not sure how they can try to paint those results as being positive.

What's at the root of Aston Martin's issues which seem to be perennial? Is it the fact they ultimately have a smaller appeal and audience for their products than other similarly priced alternatives? Or can they just not scale to meet what demand there is, so can never maximise their profits on new models?
Cheers,

Mike.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Ascender wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:38 pm I've read that twice now and I'm still not sure how they can try to paint those results as being positive.

What's at the root of Aston Martin's issues which seem to be perennial? Is it the fact they ultimately have a smaller appeal and audience for their products than other similarly priced alternatives? Or can they just not scale to meet what demand there is, so can never maximise their profits on new models?
The issues start with far too much debt that they cant properly service, an unsustainable cost structure (2 factories, more than 2x the capacity they need), and poor execution.
mik

Post by mik »

Not a pretty picture..... and your first 3 paragraphs summarise it very concisely :?
mik

Post by mik »

SSO wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:10 pm Just did an analysis of Aston Martin's 2023 Results: 
Not AM, but I read this on another forum earlier. Doesn’t sound positive.

Today's Times reports:

McLaren’s owners, led by Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, have spent £1.5 billion bankrolling the business over the past four years alone. Now investor patience seems to have run out. Wall Street investment bank JP Morgan has been hired to find new “strategic partners” ahead of Bahrain selling a controlling stake in McLaren, City sources said.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... ses/298991
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:26 am
SSO wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:10 pm Just did an analysis of Aston Martin's 2023 Results: 
Not AM, but I read this on another forum earlier. Doesn’t sound positive.

Today's Times reports:

McLaren’s owners, led by Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, have spent £1.5 billion bankrolling the business over the past four years alone. Now investor patience seems to have run out. Wall Street investment bank JP Morgan has been hired to find new “strategic partners” ahead of Bahrain selling a controlling stake in McLaren, City sources said.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... ses/298991
It's actually old news. They have been in discussions with potential strategic partners for awhile now and Mumtalakat is looking for an eventual exit. That exit is unlikely to happen until after the next set of new models is launched.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Interesting day.. Hallmark (CEO Bentley) moves to Aston Martin, and McLaren Group bought outright by Bahrain.
Cheers,

Ian
SSO

Post by SSO »

IanF wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:32 pm Interesting day.. Hallmark (CEO Bentley) moves to Aston Martin, and McLaren Group bought outright by Bahrain.
Just posted this up on the new Aston CEO https://karenable.com/aston-martin-ceo4/
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

SSO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:36 pm
IanF wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:32 pm Interesting day.. Hallmark (CEO Bentley) moves to Aston Martin, and McLaren Group bought outright by Bahrain.
Just posted this up on the new Aston CEO https://karenable.com/aston-martin-ceo4/
Plus ça change..

Stroll won’t relinquish control, and I imagine Hallmark knows that.. 2 years of a big salary just before retirement and no one can blame you for any failures must sound very attractive!

If the C-level Italians all walk out, it’ll take that long just to recruit replacements anyway..
Cheers,

Ian
SSO

Post by SSO »

IanF wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 am
SSO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:36 pm
If the C-level Italians all walk out, it’ll take that long just to recruit replacements anyway..
I can't see them staying. The food in Gaydon is just not that good,