Selling Cars Privately

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Selling Cars Privately

Post by Rich B »

That's probably a damn good call - stop trying to actually encourage the next step and let them do it if they're actually interested. I reckon I've been guilty of offering/pushing viewings (thinking it'll help Move the process on) then been disappointed when they messed me around in the past.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I've always found selling cars dead easy 🤷‍♂️ I find dealing with people and general customer service very easy. My brain has a brilliant BS blocking filter after years of receiving crap on social media.

Viewing no-shows are the only annoyance. Especially if the car has been prepped for that viewing and if the next one is a couple of days away, the car will need another quick wash before it.

Quite a few of my cars have sold to the first person who viewed them, maybe I've been underselling? :shock:

Also lowballs do work sometimes, it's a numbers game though. When we were looking for a van to go to Ukraine I opened with a lowball on about 10+ adverts and two of them said yes. Also as Ascender is finding, sometimes those lowball offers do begin to look more attractive after a while :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:06 am
Also lowballs do work sometimes, it's a numbers game though. When we were looking for a van to go to Ukraine I opened with a lowball on about 10+ adverts and two of them said yes. Also as Ascender is finding, sometimes those lowball offers do begin to look more attractive after a while :lol:
so you wasted one of the two's time by not following through on your offer?
John

Post by John »

I don't mind selling cars either, you just have to expect a few idiots and not take them too seriously. I did however sell my c63 to the trade as I knew that could end up being a world of pain.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's not a bad idea about the viewings...

I'm now being quizzed about the manufacturing dates of the tyres.
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

That’s actually a fair question on this kind of vehicle that might not do a lot of miles.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Budget end of the market is certainly interesting. A zero rated bidder won my Citroen and then no comms. Eventually said he didn't have the money til Friday. Fair enough I'll give you one chance. Messaged me at 03.40 this morning said he didn't have enough money for the insurance until Monday. Thankfully didn't wake me! Told him to bugger off this morning, hopefully someone who actually turned up and viewed the car when the auction was on will buy it tomorrow when he views it again (without taking the piss on price :lol:).
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am
I sent a very quick, direct and clear message offering a low price, I also followed up as quickly as possible when we secured another vehicle 150 miles closer to home. All they had to do was say 'yes', 'no', counter-offfer or ignore me. If you can't deal with such a simple conversation when offering a vehicle to a wide audience then it's probably best if you avoid selling stuff to the public Rich :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:15 am That’s actually a fair question on this kind of vehicle that might not do a lot of miles.
I can see the reason for asking, but at this price and end of the market, it would be way down my list of questions given everything else I've provided and the inevitable bargaining. If he comes along and says "I'd have to replace the tyres, so can you knock something off" I would have zero problem with that. I did say when they were replaced and how many miles we've done on them, but that I hadn't checked if they were brand new off the shelf when I bought them.

I really like the amount of research and time this particular guy is doing, but on one hand he's saying that he knows you're never going to get a perfect 15 year old vehicle of any sort, but on the other he's now asking why there's dust in the interior after I've said its been valeted :D
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I kind of appreciate the honesty about a low-ball offer as at least it's probably genuine. And some of those people at least respond to texts and come back to ask if it's sold yet because they are genuinely interested.

People making up stories or just not turning up are a PITA. So yeah, in my head, the price I'd actually take is reducing all the time, but that's because I'm an impatient so and so.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

That's it, a good low-ball offer is simply being very upfront and direct about budget before either party has invested any time into the viewing process.

An annoying lowball is when a buyer goes through the entire viewing and test drive process, and then drops a stupidly low price at the end.
John

Post by John »

Are you going to share the ad with us so that we can critique? :D
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am An annoying lowball is when a buyer goes through the entire viewing and test drive process, and then drops a stupidly low price at the end.
I had that when selling our 944S2. Bloke came to have a look - he clearly knew a bit - eventually divulged that he was the Porsche Club GB regional lead for Scotland, and that he was between Porsches (which I read to mean between expensive Porsches) and was looking for something to bridge the gap.

He spent about 45mins looking over the car, and we went for a short spin. It's a few years ago now, so I won't remember the exact words, but he said something like "I think it's possibly worth what you are asking, but you need to find the right buyer, and to me it's only really worth (about 75% of my asking price from memory). No ta! Sold it for the asking price a couple of weeks laters.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am
I sent a very quick, direct and clear message offering a low price, I also followed up as quickly as possible when we secured another vehicle 150 miles closer to home. All they had to do was say 'yes', 'no', counter-offfer or ignore me. If you can't deal with such a simple conversation when offering a vehicle to a wide audience then it's probably best if you avoid selling stuff to the public Rich :lol:
you said they did reply yes? You offered, they accepted, then you changed your mind.

I'm sure you did it very politely - but you still essentially made an offer and had it accepted, then bailed. Which is basically one of the issues this thread is moaning about!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 am
Gavster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am so you wasted one of the two's time by not following through on your offer?
you said they did reply yes? You offered, they accepted, then you changed your mind.

I'm sure you did it very politely - but you still essentially made an offer and had it accepted, then bailed. Which is basically one of the issues this thread is moaning about!
When we bought the yellow mini I pre-haggled £300 off. Agreed that if it was as described thats what id pay. AC control panel display wasn't working that they hadnt mentioned so i dropped another £100 off on viewing. Hands were held out and deals were done.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

.. and that's it sold. To a lovely local lady who has put a deposit down and will pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Wasn't that bad ;)
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Anyone want a nice 335i conv? My best mates selling his after 9 years ownership.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 3237898233
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What the low cost Ew go?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Will you swop for a broken twingo m8??
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

2 grand ill bring cash 2nite. Postcode m8?