Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 pm I bought a genuine VAG one recently
Have one of those in the E-Tron. Pulled it out for the first time a month or so back, switched it on - ran fine. Moved to next tyre - switched it on - nothing. Not sure if it tripped out or died.
I don't know the answer but I always assumed they were only for emergency use. I wouldn't use one regularly. And I gave up with foot pumps ages ago when I had a leaky tyre on the Frontera. Big tyres take AGES to pump up.

I've been through a couple of Ring digital electric pumps since. They're OK. Being able to set the required pressure and leave it running is a very nice feature.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 am using a track pump to inflate a car tyre is hard work - I double barrelled foot pump is far easier.
Fully agree, but I've tried a few of these (branded such as Sealey & Michelin, and sold as "heavy duty") and whilst they tend to last a couple of years - they're not exactly undergoing heavy use for that period, hence I've got pissed off with them. The track pump I am using is at least a decade old now and still feels new - I just consider it exercise now :geek: .
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I use an old jump starter with integrated air compressor for most things, I just replaced the battery in it a few weeks ago, £25 and hopefully it lasts another 10 years.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Broccers wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:41 pm Bought a tyre inflator thats about it. Recommended if you have a drill already

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dmp18 ... 1-_-TOKEN2
I’ve had mine for a few years, it actually manages to inflate the Defender tyres and is now what I always use. My T-Max compressor I need a car battery for, although much much better and actually has a decent duty cycle just never gets touched.

Dave!
John

Post by John »

I've got a Worx tyre inflator and it's very good, it easily inflates our motorhome tyres to 80psi.

I've got a few other Worx bits so can share batteries.
mik

Post by mik »

Now look what you've all made me do. :evil:

Thought the Makita that Broccers posted looked pretty good, and I am fed up buying manual pumps and cheap 12v pumps that just break.

My power tools are DeWalt so I have 3 batteries already - ah yes they do an inflator doo-dah too, and yes it is even more reassuringly expensive. :evil: Realise eBay power sellers are all offering a 20% discount code today, and... ah fuckit.

Ordered. Opted not to pay extra for the muddy patina.

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oooh that looks nice. I too am a DeWaltist but still on my trusty 18V nicad system, I've not moved on to the Li-Ion kit, this could break me.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve got a few pumps - the Ring one is quickest and quietest but because it screws onto the valve it annoys me and I never use it. I use a Halfords one I’ve had for 20 years or so most often. Can see merit in cordless and I have Makita CXT (12V), Worx and De Walt batteries so could go with any of them. Not sure I’ll keep the De Walt kit though; it’s just a bit more cumbersome than I ever need for DIY.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:40 pm Now look what you've all made me do. :evil:

Thought the Makita that Broccers posted looked pretty good, and I am fed up buying manual pumps and cheap 12v pumps that just break.

My power tools are DeWalt so I have 3 batteries already - ah yes they do an inflator doo-dah too, and yes it is even more reassuringly expensive. :evil: Realise eBay power sellers are all offering a 20% discount code today, and... ah fuckit.

Pretty impressive being able to inflate those dumper tyres with it
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I ought to get one of these types really - I've a few Ryobi batteries now and am about to get some garage units to tidy everywhere up a bit, so it makes sense.
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:40 pm
Trick of perspective - it’s actually 1.5m wide.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:26 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:41 pm Bought a tyre inflator thats about it. Recommended if you have a drill already

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dmp18 ... 1-_-TOKEN2
I’ve had mine for a few years, it actually manages to inflate the Defender tyres and is now what I always use. My T-Max compressor I need a car battery for, although much much better and actually has a decent duty cycle just never gets touched.

Dave!
Good stuff.

My tyres are always needing pumping up. I've even had both cars refitted due to leakage. Is it unreasonable to expect them to be fitted properly and not need gluing back on after 2 years?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:04 am I shall investigate. Cheers Broccers. I’d genuinely not considered a battery one.
Life changing as we're nearly pensioners 😉👌
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:40 pm Now look what you've all made me do. :evil:

Sorry mate 😉🙂
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

You all running a tyre shop? How often are you pumping up tyres that necessitates expensive battery ones?

Double-barrelled £15 pump I've had for the last 8 years for the odd times every 6-8 weeks I need to put 2 psi in the near-side rear.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

scotta wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 am
integrale_evo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 pm
Then, amazingly, another rare unicorn item appeared! An Alpine G-320 digital sound processor / equaliser / spectrum analyser. The only ones which come up for sale are usually in the US or Mexico, not cheap to start with and adding import duty / vat makes them absurd.

Perfectly period late 90s accessory to match the year correct alpine head unit I already use. Only bodged in to check it works, no sound because I need an amp for the front speakers.
@integrale_evo I have a period correct alpine V12 4 channel amp in my garage that would go perfectly with that...Still in its original box. I Bought it in 1999 I think.
I am very interested if you still have it and assuming you’ll part with it for some beer / petrol tokens 😄
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

GG. wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 pm Perfectly period late 90s accessory to match the year correct alpine head unit I already use.
Alpine gives strong nostalgia for me. We had a multichanger head unit in our 928 at some point in the early to mid 90s playing the just released Meat Loaf Back into Hell. :D It was a very cool thing, though a bit temperamental!

If I ever end up with a 90s Porsche it will have to have one.
I was initially looking at one of those because I always thought they were awesome. However, they’re not easy to find and even harder to find complete, in good condition and working properly. As it’s a regularly used car I decided to stick with a single disk cd player.

It’s not as pretty as the classic earlier units, but is the right age for the car and is just before everything went silver with blue leds for a few year in the early 2000s
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Deposit taken for E46, finally

Guy is doing day work on building sites so should have the rest before the end of next week with any luck, then he can drive it away.

He's asked if I can drive him to Preston so he can pick up an E36. Nah, you talk more than me, I think I'd go mad. It's weird seeing that from the other side :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:43 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:40 pm
Trick of perspective - it’s actually 1.5m wide.
Heavy duty!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

1001,a pump odyssey.