EV Thread

Barry

Re: EV Thread

Post by Barry »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:15 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm Yippee, more over-styled shit boxes....
That's a concept in the attached article.

I'd argue that EV gives us a chance for some daring styling tbh, why not do some retro, some futuristic, whatever. I don't want an EV 3 series, I want that concept they showed off.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:28 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm Yippee, more over-styled shit boxes....

I'd argue that EV gives us a chance for some daring styling tbh, why not do some retro, some futuristic, whatever. I don't want an EV 3 series, I want that concept they showed off.
But they won't. They'll just do another standard shitbox clad with some over styled retro looking hatchback body panels over a very normal construction chassis, but more LED twinkley lights to show it's modern.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

On the positive side my energy supplier has just launched a new EV tariff. Based on last year's consumption we can save nearly a grand (just shy of 30%) by switching and keeping the same usage profile. So I've switched.

I'm glad we've got an EV because otherwise we couldn't benefit (so much. Tariff is open to all).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

But they won't. They'll just do another standard shitbox clad with some over styled retro looking hatchback body panels over a very normal construction chassis, but more LED twinkley lights to show it's modern.
Call me cynical but I reckon the retro/cute styling on a lot of these EVs is merely because they're otherwise so boring and lacking in any soul that it's to try and fill that hole. And that's fine for a car which is just used as white goods but what if you want more than that. The new Renault 5 is just an updated Zoe but it's far more desirable just because of the styling. But I guess if you live with it after a few weeks you realise that it's just another EV. No different from a sea of other EVs :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

Don't feed the troll Ian.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Doesn’t state where it will do 0-60 in 1 second. It may be being pushed off a cliff…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

"Hmmm, we're 5 years late on the release of this, Elon what crap can we make up to steer the press away from your previous lies?"
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:05 pm Doesn’t state where it will do 0-60 in 1 second. It may be being pushed off a cliff…
Which would result in 1g. The simps liar is claiming nearly 2.8g.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Simon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:05 pm Doesn’t state where it will do 0-60 in 1 second. It may be being pushed off a cliff…
Which would result in 1g. The simps liar is claiming nearly 2.8g.
I just checked out his tweets. He’s on a crusade saying how amazing it’s going to be that you can’t even call it a car. Cold gas thrusters, better than a McLaren F1, the finest car in history with nothing to ever surpass it, potential talk about Tesla’s maybe flying in the future.

Whatever drug he’s taking, I want some.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:14 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Call me cynical but I reckon the retro/cute styling on a lot of these EVs is merely because they're otherwise so boring and lacking in any soul that it's to try and fill that hole. And that's fine for a car which is just used as white goods but what if you want more than that. The new Renault 5 is just an updated Zoe but it's far more desirable just because of the styling. But I guess if you live with it after a few weeks you realise that it's just another EV. No different from a sea of other EVs :lol:
EV are pretty vanilla tbh so it's a valid point you're making IMO. Thing is most buyers just want a cool looking car and wouldn't know a good chassis from a mattress.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The two seater dragster I went in at Santa Pod does 0-60 in about a second (and about 60 feet too)

Maybe if the Tesla was fitted with super sticky drag tyres and was running on a prep'd dragstrip it's feasible?

But I agree, it's likely the typical Musk BS IMO...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DaveE wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:40 pm
The two seater dragster I went in at Santa Pod does 0-60 in about a second (and about 60 feet too)

Maybe if the Tesla was fitted with super sticky drag tyres and was running on a prep'd dragstrip it's feasible?

But I agree, it's likely the typical Musk BS IMO...
Model S Plaid is 2.2 seconds to 60MPH from a standing start. 1.98 with 1ft rollout. Even with rollout under 1 second is optimistic. That's a real world 1.2 seconds. He has mentioned cold gas thrusters and that would also take care of the traction issues. There's nothing stopping Elon fitting a massive compressed air tank which will actually make it do 0-60 in 1 second which can only be used on a private track and costs some ridiculous amount which will probably never be released to the public just so he can claim the record with a massive asterix.
He has form for it. Those special Tesla Model S Nurburgring lap records which were all modified. Then the Cybertruck which didn't make its claimed range so he came up with an additional $16000 battery pack to stick in the bed which is still not on sale.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Tangentially related to alternate power sources.

NonEV people: Hydrogen is the future - you'll see, you'll all see!!!

Hydrogen cars:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:41 pm Tangentially related to alternate power sources.

NonEV people: Hydrogen is the future - you'll see, you'll all see!!!

Hydrogen cars:
On the flip side, if you light all of these, then you might just meet Elon's 0-60 in 1 second target.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Wouldn't it be great if H was a viable solution at this level. Sadly it just isn't.

Related note, I've managed to sign up for another EV seeing as they're all panicking to meet end of year/quartely goals :lol:

Not a fully done deal yet but assuming it goes through, I'm getting an Ioniq6 next. RWD single motor variant cos the PCH was cheap as cheaps.

77wkh battery, 230hp ish, 300+ range.

Cool/interesting looking car, but fairly Marmite styling. I think it looks interesting in the flesh, and reviews suggest it drives OK for a milk float.

8-)

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think the Ionic6 looks amazing. It’s quite 911-ish from rear angles and the shape looks far more aerodynamic than an Ionic5. Good choice.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Massive mk1 Merc CLS vibes.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That is fantastic 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I really like the styling on these, I just find it odd that they have relatively average range for that styling.