First Cars - Insurance

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: First Cars - Insurance

Post by Ascender »

The boy's renewal is in... now 2 years NCB and it's gone up £300 to £3000. Time to shop around and see if there's anything to be done to reduce that.
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I spoke to a mate who was complaining how expensive the car insurance was for one of his kids.

£1700! He said. Black box? No
Told him that was incredibly cheap. Then it clicked.

Apparently fronting is on the rise again, with, I assume, Tiktok bell ends calling it an "Insurance hack". But with all my searching I can't find any legal news about anyone being prosecuted, or pictures of compo-face when their insurance didn't pay out, or any scaremongering articles at all.

So question is, how do insurers even prove it anyway?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yes, I've seen similar being posted online. I guess it's one of those things that works just fine until it doesn't. Unless you have a claim though, I guess you could easily get away with having parents as named driver on multiple cars, all using the same NCB discount etc. Companies are never going to check or have a way to challenge customers easily.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

If you have at your abode :

A 2022 RR insured as mum + named spouse
A 2021 M3 for dad insured as dad + named spouse
A 2009 Corsa for dad, insured as dad + named sprog

When sprog writes the Corsa off on the way back from uni at 2pm.... how do you convince the insurer that Dad is actually the main driver of that car? @Alex88 might have some insights :geek: (although he may not be able to share them :) )
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Exactly. On paper, it's obvious that they're at it, but how much work would they put into proving it in that sort of claim I wonder.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

For a 2009 Corsa, the potential legal costs would probably make it not worth a company pursuing for a bit of a prang.

If the 2009 Corsa crashed into a Pagani Zonda or was involved in a fatality - they'd probably take it more seriously.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, what Rich said.

When 'Fronting' was last a thing, I remember stories of Ins Co investigators even asking neighbours etc about who normally drives a car. Plus it's obvious if Mum or Dad has their own car and is insured as primary on a shitbox.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Whilst kids have a provisional and are learning its probably the norm rather than viewed as fronting hence why most insurers cancel the learners cover when they pass.

Beyond that point I suspect its as Rich puts it, how much are the insurers trying to mitigate a claim.

Going back to Ascenders moan that seems a crazy amount for a Corsa and with 2 yrs no claims, i guess there's an additional factor like working from more than 1 place of business etc?

Although car insurance often doesn't make sense with youngsters, my daughter occasionally uses my i3s (group 29) and the additional premium was less than £200 a year, if she was insured on my wife's Sportage (group 18) it would be an additional £1,000!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Actually, that's a good point @Carlos, now he has a works van I could probably remove "commuting" from the policy coverage although I do wonder if that means NO COMMUTING WHATSOEVER or if it just means the odd time would be ok.
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Commuting to more than 1 site was a big loading for my daughter so probably worth looking into.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Doesn't help for renewals but taking a more expensive learner policy that doesn't auto cacel (rather than having a £350 one and having to cancel and reinsure elsewhere) results in a drop of £1000 for the first year on a Skoda Citigo.
So originally it would have been £350 for the learner policy that would then cancel and result in a policy of £2800 for year 1 vs a learner policy of £1800 that if timed correctly and purchased a week before the test and assuming a fair wind with a pass, results in a full year minus 1 week for £1800.

So looks like we'll be doing that then.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Talking about first cars....The boy just sent me this...and i like it far more than i should!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 6038104709