Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Same. Everything I’ve read forever tells you not to go battery to battery, but I always have where possible because it’s usually nice and clean and a grippy shape.

And I can’t see what difference it would make to anything having it earthed to another lump of metal connected directly to the battery.

The main problem with a stop start batteries, especially in something like a bmw is if it dies it’s probably an agm battery and will need coding in. Means they’re ~£300 instead of ~£100 for a similarly sized normal one.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

mik wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:27 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:55 am I've always jump started directly battery-to-battery, because that's the equivalent to having a charged battery ?
I’ve always done this too.

The argument I have seen a few times is this pretty much what is stated below

During jump-starting, we connect the boosting battery to ground rather than to the dead battery's - terminal for the simple reason that this provides a more direct return path to the good battery which is powering the dead car: the return current does not have to travel through the dead battery's minus terminal hookup cable and then to the jumper cable, but can go directly from the chassis ground to the jumper cable.

A more direct return path allows for better current flow and less voltage drop, like plugging a big appliance directly into an outlet, rather than via an extension cord.

My concern with that has always been that you are cranking the engine - which creates the biggest current draw that your battery normally deals with - the only part of the circuit designed to accept that current level is the battery terminal - if I use something else am I forcing huge current through a part of the system that would never normally encounter that ampage. And that concern makes my brain hurt. :(
Shorter path is fair enough, the starter is earthed through the engine block. However it’s not always east to find a nice clean accessible bolt or bracket unless the manufacturer has put a specific jump point in.

The other bit is nonsense, you don’t connect a jump lead to the negative terminal of the battery, it will be the clamp around the terminal which is a fat earth wire direct to the body the only thing you’re really doing by going to the engine is eliminate the foot or so of wire which has been doing the job of starting the car for the last decade or so.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:55 am I've never understood that. Every car I've worked on, the earth lead is quite short and goes directly from battery to chassis. I don't understand what difference it makes.

I've always jump started directly battery-to-battery, because that's the equivalent to having a charged battery ?
You must have jump started a car with the battery hidden away in the boot? I’d use the terminals in the engine bay in that case rather than battery to battery (assuming the stranded car is parked the right way round for that).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve always just used the engine bay connection on BMWs, works just fine :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not everyone is posh enough to own BMWs 🧐
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Still no word from my prospective buyer who has been chasing me for months and who I agreed to sell to once i replaced the E46, to make it 'easier' for me to move it on.

Neighbour is interested though, once he's done some research.

Getting on my tits now.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh yeah and the rear wash doesn't work on the 135i, and apparently checking the motors is a wheel off, inner arch out, entire wing off job.

Think I'll live with a mucky rear screen for now :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm Oh yeah and the rear wash doesn't work on the 135i, and apparently checking the motors is a wheel off, inner arch out, entire wing off job.

I'd be going back to the previous owner and asking for some contriubutions toward the repair if I were you....
Beany

Post by Beany »

Caveat emptor innit ;) :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

10l of ZF LifeGuard8 purchased, new gearbox sump (has the filter in) and normal annual service booked for the Jaaaaag.

As it's now staying it needs to be in good shape for the foreseeable, might need yet another two tyres on the back as well but I'll check it when it's up in the air, it's certainly got more mobile at the back recently in higher speed corners than normal.

Might get the rear windows tinted and get rid of the blinds as well before summer so the boy has a better view out when we use it.

Also been looking at staggered wheel set ups, can go to 285/30/20 at the rear same as the RS which might give a bit more grip from a standing start, 1st and 2nd aren't much use in any weather conditions from a standing start which is a bit annoying, I quite fancy some F Type carbon blade wheels, or some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126327081291 ... media=COPY
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Love those alloys on an XJ - I’ve never seen them on an XF. Got any pictures?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've tried finding some but it looks like no one has ever done it before, I don't think people really play around much with Jags,

The offset on the XJ wheels should make them looked pretty flush without catching the arches if my calculations are correct, I might need to drop them from the 275/35 to 275/30 if I go for Aronas just to be sure, but some American chaps have been running a different style XJ wheels in the same size and kept the original size XJ tyre so I'm not sure.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Couple of minor compact updates.

Before Christmas I managed to find a very rare compact armrest / centre console setup. I’d been looking for a couple of years, even considered buying a car with one in just to take it out and sell the car on 😂

The leather cover was trashed, so I pulled it to bits and used it as a pattern to fashion up my own cover from some of the seat cloth I had. Not perfect, would like to do another attempt, but ok with it.

Too much now? Probably, I don’t care, I love it

Then, amazingly, another rare unicorn item appeared! An Alpine G-320 digital sound processor / equaliser / spectrum analyser. The only ones which come up for sale are usually in the US or Mexico, not cheap to start with and adding import duty / vat makes them absurd.

Perfectly period late 90s accessory to match the year correct alpine head unit I already use. Only bodged in to check it works, no sound because I need an amp for the front speakers.

It works through alpines ai-net system so quite a few of it’s settings can be changed through the head unit

Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Fido Dido sticker in the rear quarter glass and it’s a 90s marvel 😎

If you step out in a Naff Co 54 jacket and Bomber jeans people will genuinely wonder if you are from the past. 40 year old women will swoon.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm Oh yeah and the rear wash doesn't work on the 135i, and apparently checking the motors is a wheel off, inner arch out, entire wing off job.

I assume you've tried just cleaning the jets? :P

The rear washer on the Superb had stopped working again. I mean, it's only been a month since I last sorted it.

Fundamentally shitty VAG engineering I think - the jets are mounted on the wiper spindle, with the supply up the middle of the spindle. The jet head has two nozzles and, at rest, points up the screen (I'd guess 35deg from horizontal). The Superb is a very slippery hatchback shape so those nozzles are perfectly positioned to fill up with crap that's coming over the car in the airflow.

I mean, it's a simple fix - pop the nozzle head off, poke with a pin and blow through - but it's really annoying to have to do that every 1-2mo. :evil:
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 pm Couple of minor compact updates.

Before Christmas I managed to find a very rare compact armrest / centre console setup. I’d been looking for a couple of years, even considered buying a car with one in just to take it out and sell the car on 😂

The leather cover was trashed, so I pulled it to bits and used it as a pattern to fashion up my own cover from some of the seat cloth I had. Not perfect, would like to do another attempt, but ok with it.

Then, amazingly, another rare unicorn item appeared! An Alpine G-320 digital sound processor / equaliser / spectrum analyser. The only ones which come up for sale are usually in the US or Mexico, not cheap to start with and adding import duty / vat makes them absurd.

Perfectly period late 90s accessory to match the year correct alpine head unit I already use. Only bodged in to check it works, no sound because I need an amp for the front speakers.

It works through alpines ai-net system so quite a few of it’s settings can be changed through the head unit

@integrale_evo I have a period correct alpine V12 4 channel amp in my garage that would go perfectly with that...Still in its original box. I Bought it in 1999 I think.
Last edited by scotta on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 am

I'm not getting a response from the motor when trying to wash the rear - like at all - so I doubt that'll help!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 am

I'm not getting a response from the motor when trying to wash the rear - like at all - so I doubt that'll help!
Ah. the BMW washer motors are shit, I'm replacing one every year on one of the cars. They just sit at the bottom of washer tank and corrode but are easy enough to replace.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 am
Beany wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 am

Ah. the BMW washer motors are shit, I'm replacing one every year on one of the cars. They just sit at the bottom of washer tank and corrode but are easy enough to replace.
Another one series issue is that the filter on the screen wash tank clogs up with gunk and blocks the flow. My mate had the same issue. Wheel liner off to get access to it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 pm Couple of minor compact updates.

ive warmed to your interior treatment. The gear gaitor is perhaps a step too far, but the rest looks great.