Ukraine

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Ukraine

Post by Sundayjumper »

It's not just cars, and it's not just stuff from the UK, the same pattern has been pointed out across all kinds of manufacturing, all over Europe & RoW.

Sanctions are nigh impossible to enforce 100% - once a (in this case) car has been delivered to a customer they're free to do whatever they like with it. With the right connections & enough money to pay off the people involved I imagine it becomes pretty easy to move a new car from Azerbaijan and register it in Russia.

The point of sanctions is to make the imports increasingly difficult & expensive. You could place secondary sanctions on Azerbaijan as a next step. I know the numbers look convincing but you'd need some solid proof that that's what's really happening. And it's not as if either of those countries is going to fall over themselves helping. It'll happen eventually though.

Cars are a bit trivial here - as dinny points out, UK industry is making money, and it's not as if a Rolls Royce going to kill many Ukrainian civilians.

Far more important is the high-tech industrial equipment. Making it harder / slower / more expensive to get that to Russian companies building equipment for the military is very important. That Sky article only touches on that right at the end. Cars much more sexy I guess.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Did anyone see the Tucker Carlson in Russia videos? Those videos made it look like everything's rosy inside the country.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Gavster wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 am Did anyone see the Tucker Carlson in Russia videos? Those videos made it look like everything's rosy inside the country.
Almost like it was propaganda?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It seemed like Tucker was genuinely an idiot. I’ve only seen clips but things like him being mind blown at shopping trolleys being operated by inserting a coin or the cost of food being so much less and then comparing it to American prices whilst not understanding that the average wage in Russia is $500 a month so in reality it’s no different.
How fucking dense is that man?
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DaveE wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:53 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 am Did anyone see the Tucker Carlson in Russia videos? Those videos made it look like everything's rosy inside the country.
Almost like it was propaganda?
It aligns with what I've heard about my ex's family who live in Russia
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The US House of Representatives has FINALLY voted and have passed:

Seizing Russian assets

Sending $61bn of aid to Ukraine

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Indeed, Finally! Considering it's estimated more than 60% of that finding is being rolled.into broadband capability upgrades for US manufacturing the nutters held it up for a depressing amount of time.

Last week's Perun video was about US defense industry rebuilding.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Better late than never but it’s almost like they want Russia to be tied up in a never ending war. As soon as Ukraine makes some inroads, the aid slows, when they really get in trouble things get into gear.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »