The Watches Thread

mik

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by mik »

Just received a promo email guiding me towards here

Bad product naming. :shock: What dumbass came up with that moniker?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Very tempted by this new San Martin

37mm and matt ceramic bezel riff on a Tudor BB54

GG.

Post by GG. »

If by "riff" you mean identical copy! Not sure how they get away with this stuff to be honest...

ETA - these Panerai copies are even worse! There's one thing taking inspiration from something and there is another just ripping them off...

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Oh yeah, these aren't original designs @GG.

I've always preferred the BB58 (the red triangle behind the pip at 12, and the faux-tina) to the BB54 (black & white/silver look, no red triangle)

And I really don't like Tudor's fussy (to me) 5 link bracelet

And the SM is £140 :lol:
Holley

Post by Holley »

Saw these recommended by AM on watch finder - https://underd0g.com/products/01mcbr

Love a good micro brand and underd0g seem to offer something genuinely different (in a good way).
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Holley wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:19 pm Saw these recommended by AM on watch finder - https://underd0g.com/products/01mcbr

Love a good micro brand and underd0g seem to offer something genuinely different (in a good way).
IMO they're overpriced (at c£500)

They use the Chinese-made ST-1901 movement that can be had in watches like this on AliExpress from about £115:

Or this one for about £110:

San Martin also uses them in some watches like this (£270)

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Love Studio Underd0g's originality of design and sense of humour. Don't mind spending a bit more to support a fun British based design studio - product cost isn't all about the cost of parts and of course a British based company will have higher costs than a Chinese based one even if their parts are from China. I've definitely been tempted to buy one on occasion but I'm very fussy about case sides and these ones look a bit flimsy and cheap looking to me. Would need to see one in real life before committing to buy I think.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I like them. Definitely something a bit different.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My pet peeve with watches is the glass, if it's the cheaper end and not using sapphire then at least use a flat pane of glass with no bezelled edges otherwise you get the 'looking through a milk bottle' effect if viewing the watch from any angle which isn't directly head on.
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

DaveE wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:36 pm
Now what does that remind me of :lol:
Jay-me

Post by Jay-me »

d8ff7eb0-9d25-4658-bc6b-92840a52cc34.jpeg
d8ff7eb0-9d25-4658-bc6b-92840a52cc34.jpeg (227.21 KiB) Viewed 181 times
My Sinn u2s
Wanted one for ages. Had it since June last year, very happy with it
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

@Jay-me it's always great when people achieve something they've been wanting for a while - so congrats on that

Seeing your Sinn reminded me that I saw a Rolex Submariner "hulk" in black PVD the other day

I'm not a fan, but I can see how it could be appealing to others

It was used, and £19k (box + papers)

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have mentioned a few times how much I liked the Blaken PVD Rolex I’ve seen - it was a Milgauss and looked stunning. I’d still like one.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 am I have mentioned a few times how much I liked the Blaken PVD Rolex I’ve seen - it was a Milgauss and looked stunning. I’d still like one.
I have a perception (based on not much at all) that the PVD coating could chip and damage (revealing the steel below) - is that a thing?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I would have the same concern and since Blaken basically double the price of the Rolex, that is not something I’d be happy with. But even my Orient Raven Ray is completely unmarked so it may not be an issue.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Something I noticed while wandering around in Brighton yesterday was how many Rolexes (and other luxury watch brands) there were in all the second hand jewellers (compared to a couple of years ago)

During the Covid and post-Covid boom, there just wasn't the stock, but now, every shop seemed to have a good selection

A favourite jeweller of mine had 6+ Subs (out of probably 20+ Rolexes - mostly the in-demand steel/sports models)

There's definitely a big change in the market that's now really easy to see on the 'high street'
Jay-me

Post by Jay-me »

DaveE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:42 am
Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 am I have mentioned a few times how much I liked the Blaken PVD Rolex I’ve seen - it was a Milgauss and looked stunning. I’d still like one.
I have a perception (based on not much at all) that the PVD coating could chip and damage (revealing the steel below) - is that a thing?
Leading edge seems to mark. I’ve got a couple of very faint marks already.

I looked at previous comments about the blacken milgauss and it was £7k to have it done. £16-17k is a lot of money
Jay-me

Post by Jay-me »

DaveE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 am @Jay-me it's always great when people achieve something they've been wanting for a while - so congrats on that

Seeing your Sinn reminded me that I saw a Rolex Submariner "hulk" in black PVD the other day

I'm not a fan, but I can see how it could be appealing to others

It was used, and £19k (box + papers)

All black would look ace. I’m not sure with the green tbh
mik

Post by mik »

Jay-me[ wrote:
My Sinn u2s
Lovely. 8-) I like a few models in their lineup - I’d happily become a Sinner.

Re PVD - that’s one of the reasons I went for my Chris Ward C1000 CE - as I like the black visuals for some variation but as it’s ceramic - no wear worries. (More brittle however)
John

Post by John »

DaveE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:55 am Something I noticed while wandering around in Brighton yesterday was how many Rolexes (and other luxury watch brands) there were in all the second hand jewellers (compared to a couple of years ago)

During the Covid and post-Covid boom, there just wasn't the stock, but now, every shop seemed to have a good selection

A favourite jeweller of mine had 6+ Subs (out of probably 20+ Rolexes - mostly the in-demand steel/sports models)

There's definitely a big change in the market that's now really easy to see on the 'high street'
Did you have a nosey in Whizz Watch? I bought my Grand Seiko from them via ebay.