Slow texters

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Slow texters

Post by Gavster »

I fundamentally cannot understand people who are consistently unable to reply to WhatsApp messages in less than 48 hours. Like it’s their MO, rather than being temporarily unavailable. WhatsApp is conversational, waiting two days to reply kills it.

Also it’s even worse when they’re the one initiating the convo :lol:
V8Granite

Re: Slow texters

Post by V8Granite »

They want to appear mysterious and important where your message is low down on their importance calendar.

Oh and as I’m here, no I don’t have your blockbuster video card and I’m sure I didn’t borrow Gladiator.

Dave!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:06 am They want to appear mysterious and important where your message is low down on their importance calendar.
Ain't that the truth. I get that we all might take a day to respond sometimes, however when it's every. single. time.

I wrote a thing about this years ago, there's a lot of truth in the saying "If you want something done quickly, ask a busy person"
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

When I know there’s going to be a lot of back and forth and I don’t have time to get into it, I won’t reply:

Some people with a high level of self importance get very arsey if you don’t commit to their dialog…😜
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I knew someone would say that :lol:

Just to be clear, it's normal to respond both slowly or quickly depending on all kinds of factors. Sometimes I respond after two or three days, sometimes after two or three seconds. It's a vast range depending on all kinds of factors.

My only exception is when you're a client or if it's work-related, then I will respond within minutes wherever possible as that's simply good customer service/good business practice.

This thread is very specifically aimed at people who are fundamentally incapable of responding to anything within 48 hours.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gavster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:49 am I knew someone would say that :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I just forget. I'm in loads of different groups as well as invdividual chats, so opening up WA after a few hours has a bunch of alerts. Problem is I sometimes read them, think "I reply to that later" then just...forget to. That's old age for you.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I used to be a reliably quick responder, but now I just always seem to be busy and not have time to think about replying, also a case of seeing the message, making a mental note to reply later and forgetting. I try where possible to leave it unread until I know I'm going to have time to reply, but it doesn't always work.

Having a child has definitely made it worse, now I get that whole situation where I finish work and am expected to be immediately mentally present for engaging with the little one, so being on my phone is not well received. Then it gets past the little one's bed time and I usually have 5mins to myself but my brain is mush by then so I will probably forget and look at cat clips on insta or something instead. :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’m the same as Matty, I’ll reply to that later and never do, I’m not that old though so don’t know what excuse I can use :lol:

The one that annoys me more than this is the typing notifications/ 3 blobs- when you see that for ages expecting an essay and it’s just “ok”
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

jamcg wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:03 pm I’m the same as Matty.... I’m not that old though
:!:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

And another one yesterday. A friend messaged "Morning, how are you?" at 8am. I replied 10 mins later "Good thanks! How about you?"

I honestly don't get it :lol:

Mind you, this is someone who is terminally 'busy' so they might simply enjoy having loads of unread WhatsApp messages so they can feel important and tell people how stacked they are, and show how many messages they need to catch up on. That definitely tracks :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Why do people tolerate twatty friends ?

Dave!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:45 am Why do people tolerate twatty friends ?

Dave!
I am beginning to wonder why I do. It would save me from posting in this subforum :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Am I too late to comment on the op?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am Am I too late to comment on the op?
Tsk. This was Saturday's thread, it's old news now :lol: