I have been a voyeur, not a stalker

Johnny
Currently Driving: BMW 640i M Sport Gran Coupe
BMW e24 635CSi Highline
BMW i3

Re: I have been a voyeur, not a stalker

Post by Johnny »

IanF wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:07 pm There was an article about auto-only new drivers paying ~£900 more in insurance than people who learned in a manuel.. guess it’s just another box ticked on the application so why not, but it does feel cheeky.
Wow! That’s insane. Any opportunity for insurance companies to get every penny from drivers. Forget going in dry, they are using sharp sand as lube. The Golf is a manual as Dylan wants to “learn to drive properly”
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The only way I can think auto only could make a difference would be courtesy cars, but then that should affect everyone that insures an auto :?

A wise decision by your son 8-)
Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:05 pm Balance refunded when he passes his test (minus admin costs).
I hope they don't take the proverbial there.

Wrt fsh, last year when car hunting I noticed in one manufacturer's (I can't remember which one, possibly Audi or Skoda) small print they had the line ~ "fsh check refers to all documentation the vehicle has had, not that it is up to date".
Johnny
Currently Driving: BMW 640i M Sport Gran Coupe
BMW e24 635CSi Highline
BMW i3

Post by Johnny »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:23 pm The only way I can think auto only could make a difference would be courtesy cars, but then that should affect everyone that insures an auto :?

A wise decision by your son 8-)
Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:05 pm Balance refunded when he passes his test (minus admin costs).
I hope they don't take the proverbial there.

Wrt fsh, last year when car hunting I noticed in one manufacturer's (I can't remember which one, possibly Audi or Skoda) small print they had the line ~ "fsh check refers to all documentation the vehicle has had, not that it is up to date".
Admin costs are £35, which is reasonable in the scheme of things as I believe you have to call in to cancel (not online).

Interesting spin on FSH by the manufacturers / dealers. Is this their get out clause if they sell a vehicle without the right services having been carried out? To me FSH has always meant that the vehicle has had the right service at the right time.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My stepdaughter is learning auto-only and her insurance on a 120bhp Mini Cooper auto was £389 last year. It’s been a while since I got a quote for her after passing her test but it wasn’t obviously more than a manual.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:30 pm My stepdaughter is learning auto-only and her insurance on a 120bhp Mini Cooper auto was £389 last year. It’s been a while since I got a quote for her after passing her test but it wasn’t obviously more than a manual.
https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance ... insurance/

Last para highlights but there are mitigating circumstances..

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides ... -to-insure

And this one.. seems common knowledge in the insurance industry
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Obviously it’s different nowadays, with manual cars a dying breed but 10+ years ago anyone who was shit at driving and couldn’t learn a manual ended up with an automatic licence so it comes as no surprise that they are more likely to claim 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:54 pm Obviously it’s different nowadays, with manual cars a dying breed but 10+ years ago anyone who was shit at driving and couldn’t learn a manual ended up with an automatic licence so it comes as no surprise that they are more likely to claim 😂
One male friend, one dense friend, both auto only as they couldn’t change gear and look ahead, do more than two things at once. Both drivers I’d never let take my kids anywhere 🤔

Dave!