9. Spaghetti. Lots of.
4%
10. Cosmetic surgery
No votes

Total votes: 27

V8Granite

Re: Euromillions immediate purchase

Post by V8Granite »

Being 100% honest, if I won I’d wait till I saw the money in my accounts then go see a few people who mean a lot to me and pay off houses, buy them cars, just stuff you otherwise wouldn’t be able to do.

Then waste the rest on shiny things with engines and hulls.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm Being 100% honest, if I won I’d wait till I saw the money in my accounts then go see a few people who mean a lot to me and pay off houses, buy them cars, just stuff you otherwise wouldn’t be able to do.
without a doubt, no point being minted if your close friends and family are struggling in any way!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Also, I definitely wouldn't buy loads of big properties. Everyone who owns either large properties or multiple properties seems to find them a burden and a massive drain on their time, money or both (unless they're an investment).

That's why I'd rent first, and only buy if it was genuinely a great place to live. I'd always focus on smaller places too, I have zero desire for sprawling mansions or miles of walls to pay people to maintain on an estate.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I think I'd definitely go and buy a Ferrari or 911 Turbo S, make sure my immediate family were sorted and then next on the list would probably be a holiday house in France or something.

Money would then be spent on traveling rather than a Highland castle.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:48 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm Being 100% honest, if I won I’d wait till I saw the money in my accounts then go see a few people who mean a lot to me and pay off houses, buy them cars, just stuff you otherwise wouldn’t be able to do.
without a doubt, no point being minted if your close friends and family are struggling in any way!
I imagine, whilst that sounds like a great idea, you have to go about it very carefully. There could be so many unintended consequences of seemingly doing people a favour.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:20 pm
Eurgh - there are 48 seats on that thing :cry: - Shirley one would need the 2-passenger only option ?
Just buy all the seats yourself.

You have Euromillions money, remember?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think what money really 'buys' you is more free time and the removal of stresses. Like others with kids, we couldn't just move anywhere, but we'd immediately go and get my wife and I new cars, throw in the job, then start to hire people to free up our time. So a chef, a gardener, a housekeeper, etc etc. Then we'd work on buying or building our forever home, buying a place in Europe and another place or two in Brazil.

The money would give us our time back and give us ability to be unencumbered by 'having to live', if you know what I mean.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:32 pm
Eurgh - there are 48 seats on that thing :cry: - Shirley one would need the 2-passenger only option ?

But if you are paying for all the seats, then the trip organiser is going to expect you to pay for all the accomdation etc etc. That's a $10million spur of the moment decision you've just made whilst you figure out what you are going to do with your winnings (less approx £8million)..... :geek:

Netflex Original Series - how I blew all my winnings as fast as I got them : the Beany story...... :roll:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:48 pm
I imagine, whilst that sounds like a great idea, you have to go about it very carefully. There could be so many unintended consequences of seemingly doing people a favour.
This...

Help but help carefully - at least one member of my extended family (who you would help) would die an alcoholic if they had no money worries and didn't need to work for example and the other, probably end up in prison.

I like the idea of matching their earnings - or double them. If you want to earn £250/week stacking Shelves in Tesco, then I'll give you another £500. You want to earn 6 figures as a lawyer or doctor, then I'll add double it on top.

But you have to earn, you have to get out of the house every day, you have to remain semi-normal
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:32 pm

But if you are paying for all the seats, then the trip organiser is going to expect you to pay for all the accomdation etc etc. That's a $10million spur of the moment decision you've just made whilst you figure out what you are going to do with your winnings (less approx £8million)..... :geek:

Netflex Original Series - how I blew all my winnings as fast as I got them : the Beany story...... :roll:
Oh I didn't click that link, I just assumed it was a fancy chartered jet.

I've got Euromillions money, I don't need to click links.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'd not tell anyone other than my wife. Not sure if she could keep her mouth shut. But it would be interesting to know quite how long it would take to be outed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sell the fucking flat, buy something freehold in London, preferably in a Mews with double garage. I can then buy a field and hire staff to run my animal sanctuary. Can't think of much else. Probably be almost out of money once I've purchased the freehold house in London anyway :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:46 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:48 pm without a doubt, no point being minted if your close friends and family are struggling in any way!
This...

Help but help carefully - at least one member of my extended family (who you would help) would die an alcoholic if they had no money worries and didn't need to work for example and the other, probably end up in prison.

I like the idea of matching their earnings - or double them. If you want to earn £250/week stacking Shelves in Tesco, then I'll give you another £500. You want to earn 6 figures as a lawyer or doctor, then I'll add double it on top.

But you have to earn, you have to get out of the house every day, you have to remain semi-normal
That sounds like a good idea, and it's a very critical question about how to do it in an empowering way.

Years ago I occasionally hung out with the son of a billionaire and his wife. They hated being beholden to the father for money, yet it was impossible to resist. They enjoyed the spoils, like being able to grab a private jet or helicopter whenever they wanted, driving Ferraris, being able to choose which of the father's houses in North London to live in, or being able to go to an expensive rehab for his coke addiction. Despite all of that, they were terminally unfulfilled on a personal level and the wife owned absolutely nothing - they'd complain to us about being jealous of our 'normal' lives - and I could understand it too.

Simply giving people bags of money might appear cool on the surface, but it's definitely not fulfilling in any way.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I don’t think paying someone’s mortgage off or giving them 100k is going to turn them into Ferrari driving coke heads.

It’s a gesture taking a big worry away from them and giving the people who deserve it some financial freedom.

I have been daydreaming about my car collection and think I’ll need a mix of Tuthill, Prodrive, PDD and Chip Foose to work for me to get what I want.

I would not own an electric car.

Then there are the motorbikes.

Being rich is stressful, I’ll stay poor.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm I think what money really 'buys' you is more free time and the removal of stresses. Like others with kids, we couldn't just move anywhere, but we'd immediately go and get my wife and I new cars, throw in the job, then start to hire people to free up our time. So a chef, a gardener, a housekeeper, etc etc. Then we'd work on buying or building our forever home, buying a place in Europe and another place or two in Brazil.

The money would give us our time back and give us ability to be unencumbered by 'having to live', if you know what I mean.
What are you going to do all day with your free time, whilst you wait to pick up your kids from school?

I like to think it would enable me to pursue something I'd actually want to do - start a brewery, or tinker with cars etc.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:34 pm I don’t think paying someone’s mortgage off or giving them 100k is going to turn them into Ferrari driving coke heads.

It’s a gesture taking a big worry away from them and giving the people who deserve it some financial freedom.
Until one half of the couple decides they don't want to do their shitty job anymore as they don't need to. But one of them still has to work as they still have bills to pay. And that ultimately leads to arguments and who knows where.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:34 pm I don’t think paying someone’s mortgage off or giving them 100k is going to turn them into Ferrari driving coke heads.
Tripling someones salary takes all of the worries about a mortgage away no ?

Anyway, I know one Lotto winner - he won £1.8m on his 18th birthday back in 1994 when that was a genuine life changing amount. Within several months, he had lost all his "friends" as he wouldn't "fly them all to Vegas for New Years", wouldn't "Buy them a box at the Champions League Final" etc.
He paid off his mum's mortgage and bought a nice home for himself nearby.

For quite a while, he lived a fairly sad and lonely life - he'd drive his motorbike from Dublin to Galway to have lunch and then, drive it back, just to fill the day. He was a member of our Kayak Club so we'd hang out every Sunday. He was generous but no-one really took the piss. I bought some of his kit off him and paid a reasonable price, less than market but he didn't give it away etc. He has never drank or done drugs and reckons that if he did, he'd be broke or dead

In the end, be met, courted and proposed to his now wife without her knowing anything about his money and bought a Taekwondo school. That's what he does now. He run's the business side and Sensei run's the classes. He has a lot more than £1.8m now, a happy family of 4 kids and a very full life.

And good luck to him
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:35 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm I think what money really 'buys' you is more free time and the removal of stresses. Like others with kids, we couldn't just move anywhere, but we'd immediately go and get my wife and I new cars, throw in the job, then start to hire people to free up our time. So a chef, a gardener, a housekeeper, etc etc. Then we'd work on buying or building our forever home, buying a place in Europe and another place or two in Brazil.

What are you going to do all day with your free time, whilst you wait to pick up your kids from school?
Pursue my interests - play my piano, write more music, fly my model planes, wife wants to travel a lot more, etc etc. But looking after the house would be something for other people to do.

My father-in-law has a house keeper/ cook and a gardener. Unlike the UK it's actually a fairly normal 'middle class' thing in Brazil for that to happen. Yes, they also have 3 houses that they split their time between but they're not lottery winners, just retired bank managers. They're living their best life compared to us and my (affluent) parents.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:50 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:35 pm

Pursue my interests - play my piano, write more music, fly my model planes, wife wants to travel a lot more, etc etc. But looking after the house would be something for other people to do.
I reckon by week 2 you'd be bored shitless :lol: 9am-3pm doesn't give you much time once you've factored in travelling to and from school, having lunch, and that's before you have to make sure your kid does their homework or wants help with it.
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:42 pm
Tripling someones salary takes all of the worries about a mortgage away no ?

Anyway, I know one Lotto winner - he won £1.8m on his 18th birthday back in 1994 when that was a genuine life changing amount. Within several months, he had lost all his "friends" as he wouldn't "fly them all to Vegas for New Years", wouldn't "Buy them a box at the Champions League Final" etc.
He paid off his mum's mortgage and bought a nice home for himself nearby.

For quite a while, he lived a fairly sad and lonely life - he'd drive his motorbike from Dublin to Galway to have lunch and then, drive it back, just to fill the day. He was a member of our Kayak Club so we'd hang out every Sunday. He was generous but no-one really took the piss. I bought some of his kit off him and paid a reasonable price, less than market but he didn't give it away etc. He has never drank or done drugs and reckons that if he did, he'd be broke or dead

In the end, be met, courted and proposed to his now wife without her knowing anything about his money and bought a Taekwondo school. That's what he does now. He run's the business side and Sensei run's the classes. He has a lot more than £1.8m now, a happy family of 4 kids and a very full life.

And good luck to him
My uncle has a friend who is a self made millionaire now he's retired. Sold a successful accountancy business. Uncle who is also retired and not a millionaire absolutely insists to pay his way when they go anywhere. He said if he didn't then they wouldn't be genuinely friends and he would just be a free loader.

Uncle tells a story of them going for lunch and it being his friends turn to pay. The cashier mistakenly added extra digits to the payment on the card machine. Upon noticing the mistake they joked it wouldn't have gone through anyway...Uncle then muttered (It would have...) to the cashier and said the look on their face was priceless. :o