New TV Tiime

mik

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by mik »

I was sufficiently intrigued by the product to hunt for some reviews (which are generally very positive about the volume and clarity of the audio performance), but was frustrated that I couldn't find dynamic range info anywhere. Then I came across one specific review citing "Naim doesn't publish frequency response specs for the Mu-so 2" (which solved my frustration, but.... why the hell wouldn't they publish this info??), but it then went on to say that "but in my room, with no nearby boundary reinforcement, casual measurements with an SPL meter and test tones suggested extremely flat response from the upper bass down to about 50 Hz, after which it dropped off rapidly".

Interested to hear what you make of it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think Naim's older stuff measured badly - I just didn't like the way they'd tuned it to sound very 'Naim' house style. I imagine they don't do that now.

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The speakers in it are Focal which are supposed to be superb. I can't wait to get it set up and give it a blast. I'm certainly no audiophile like some of you so it may be wasted on my ears 😂
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:32 pm I can't wait to get it set up and give it a blast.
I expect it'll sound great - so long as you're not expecting any really rumbly bass frequencies.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Everything was delivered this morning at 8.30am and set up sharpish 😂

As expected the TV looks bloody great and I'm liking the Ambilight. It's amazing how thin the panel is.

The Naim sounds fabulous and feels beautifully built so I'm very happy.
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 pm
The Naim sounds fabulous and feels beautifully built so I'm very happy.
Good to hear.* 8-)

* pun intended
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Our old living room TV was a Philips OLED Ambilight one, the in built speakers were surprisingly good, screen ended up being shite though, it's on its third screen in 2 years now.

Moved it to a bedroom and bought an LG OLED for the living room which has been much better, picture is better as well, I do miss the Ambilight though, it was pretty cool.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:23 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 am I think the Sony A9 got all the best reviews last year if you want an OLED in 48/49". It's about to be replaced by the 2021 version which isn't available yet, but you'd get a deal on it as a result: https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-k ... k/p5497891
And that's what we ended up ordering late last night! The Panny not having Disney+ got me looking at the Sony, which annoyingly we didn't look at in the shop. But the reviews swung it, especially regarding motion and the sound, as well as having access to all the streaming service plus Spotify. Also saw some bugs reported with the Panasonic on AVforums.
Had a bit of a panic last night - the boy and wife told me there were some dead pixels on the Sony. I could see a 1" long line on the left side of the screen and had a real FFS moment. Did a hard restart and it's been fine since.

Is this something to worry about do we think or a minor glitch?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My TV has a full (top to bottom) line of malfunctioning pixels on the right side. Sometimes it is two or three lines wide. So far it goes away after a few minutes once it has warmed up. Not panicking yet. It'll go when it goes.
Last edited by DeskJockey on Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

That's what our Philips started off doing, then they stopped going away.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Once that happens it is time for a new one. I've had it since 2008 so I think I got my money's worth out of it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why don't TVs come with screws for their VESA mount holes FFS!

For the 2nd time in a couple of months one of the telly's in the bedrooms has broken and been replaced but the mount screws are different.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I got us a new tv.

My other half bought one of the neighbours last year, some no-brand rubbish which was too big for the room and had a terrible picture with whites which were patchy purple!

Hadn’t realised how cheap a half decent tv is these days, it’s nothing particularly fancy but picked up a 43in LG, 4K hdr, smart etc Tv for £225. Looks much nicer in the room, remote feels decent, very pleased with the picture, even the sound is plenty good enough.

I don’t watch that much Tv, but was very pleased to take the old pile of crap to the dump.

I think the last screen I bought was a 27in 1080p pc monitor which cost a similar amount about 10 years ago.
Cheers, Harry
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Our old Philips Ambilight TV upstairs has broken again, so they came and picked it up yesterday to try repair it, again (4th time).

I got a text to say they can't repair it and to go on and choose a new TV, the "like for like" ones were all crap, but for 10 English pounds, I upgraded to this:
https://ao.com/product/oled65c36lc-lg-c ... 6-108.aspx
Seems a decent result :lol:

And I'd definitely recommend AO and AO care!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Good choice - I've a 65" LG OLED and it's awesome.

A Soundbar with sub might be worth looking into...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've got one in the living room already, I was hoping they'd give me a voucher as I don't really need a new TV, but this is a G3 and I think mine is a G2 so it's a bit of an upgrade I suppose.

I have an amp that all the stuff goes through so we don't use the TV speakers much anyway, I've ordered a stand as apparently this doesn't come with one!
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Well it's turned up, it seemed too good to be true but :D

Just waiting for the stand to come now as the G3 is made for wall mounting, but the G panel is better than the C so it was worth getting this and buying a stand, seems odd but that's LG.
mik

Post by mik »

Still delighted with our year-old LG OLED65C56LA. 8-)

(edit: just realised the next comment isn't relevant to you as you are stand mounting). Be aware that the bracket mounting position is low on the TV. I had enough adjustment available on my wall mount to bring it back down, but worst-case you may need to move your wall mount down a bit. :?

(I moved our LG S75Q soundbar to the other room (mainly for driving games) when I got my new amp & speakers, using optical input from the tellybox. It became irrelevant as whilst Soundbar >> TV speakers, HiFi >>> Soundbar).
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I think my current downstairs is the C version but a 55, I'm interested to see what the difference is between that and this g panel, apparently it has a special coating on the screen as well but I'll have a look once it's out the box, if the stand turns up today !