Petrol Honda mowers

Jimexpl

Re: Petrol Honda mowers

Post by Jimexpl »

What Jobbo really needs to do (even though it’s diesel) is buy my Dad’s air cooled Porsche and find a cutter for it -
IMG_3450.jpeg
IMG_3450.jpeg (84.81 KiB) Viewed 370 times
IMG_3451.jpeg
IMG_3451.jpeg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 370 times
IMG_3501.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpeg (177.5 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I did consider an actual tractor but realised I’d basically be left with a small cut area and massive unkempt field margins 😄 It’s not Harry’s Farm sadly. Will be good for a decent game of croquet.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We inherited my grandads John Deere and seems to do the job, the farmer over the road bought a very similar one of his own.

I had to put a new cutter belt on it last summer but hasn’t ever needed anything other than the odd oil change.

Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Q for Jobbo: why no to electric? Unless you’re planning on taking it green-laning/ the shops you’ll always be near a power source.

Plus goats.. I have a desire to buy a small holding at some point. Plus a house with a moat. And a vineyard.. 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’d love goats. But you can’t have goats without a donkey. And that starts to become a bit mental when you want to go on holiday 😂

Electric: if I did that I’d just get a robot mower. And I reckon within a couple of years I might. But I have been told I have to get a collecting mower - which is fair - and a lawn tractor with trailer hitch is a useful thing round the garden. We don’t have solar (yet - the back of the garage faces SSE and has plenty of space to fit panels) and electric lawn tractors seem to be about twice the price of equivalent simple petrol ones.
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:20 pm
Plus goats.. I have a desire to buy a small holding at some point. Plus a house with a moat. And a vineyard.. 😁
We have dogs (ours) and ducks (definitely hers, but I seem to do quite a lot of the care :? ), but mrs mik has also previously suggested goats / donkeys / alpaca's :roll: I don't want a home farm.... :roll: She's currently talking about setting up a few bee hives (which seems more realistic in terms of care workload, plus - save the planet etc).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I looked at a beekeeping but decided to not bother as there were so many hoops to jump through. The local bee keepers club wanted me to read a bunch of books, sit their exam, inspect my apiary and location and if that all went well I could pay for some bees to be delivered in 12 months times. Then the price they wanted for the bees seemed to be borderline extortion. I also wanted to use the Flow Hive method for convenience but they looked at me like I wanted to rape and pillage them when I mentioned Flow Hive. Fuck your bees and fuck your planet 😂

Goats are nice, they’re independent, I go in once a month to trim their hooves which is the only essential thing.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

For the rest of the month your goats presumably eat their enclosure, your house, car and anything else of value and then escape.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s enough vegetation growing in their pasture that they don’t need anything extra. Massive hay rack filled with hay and self filling water trough. And the hay is really just for when it’s raining non stop and they don’t want to go out in the drier months it lasts forever.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Daft question because I'm not really a pet person (even more evident when you read the rest of this post), but what do goats do? If they only need tending once a month, what do you do with them for the rest of the time? Presumably they can't be trained, they're not particularly affectionate like a dog or cat, they just eat things and have weird eyes?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They give you an excuse to get a donkey.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Goats are like chicken soup. Good for the soul.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

They also taste really good.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

@jobbo spotted, 365 days from now.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ooh, always wanted some ducks too.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Why do goats need a donkey? Genuine question. Are they not satisfied by other goats?

Re beekeeping, a colleague is massively into it, so any tips required, I'm sure I could ask him.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JonMad wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:55 am Why do goats need a donkey? Genuine question. Are they not satisfied by other goats?
Just because they seem to love jumping on donkeys and if you're going to keep goats, why not? They're fine without; it just seems a natural pairing.

Fortunately Harry Metcalfe mentioned on his farm videos how expensive alpacas are because I think my wife would like one.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:58 am Ooh, always wanted some ducks too.
I can confirm that having a regular supply of fresh duck eggs is a joy 8-) Unfortunately they don't lay in the colder months, but we give loads away to friends and family in the summer as we have way more than we could consume ourselves.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ooh you can have goats cheese too.

OV9, the thrill of milking a goat...
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:03 pm Presumably they can't be trained, they're not particularly affectionate like a dog or cat, they just eat things and have weird eyes?
TIL I'm a goat 8-)