EV Thread

Mito Man

Re: EV Thread

Post by Mito Man »

The government grant EV chargers (don't know if they're still a thing) came with a box which controlled the charger which had a sim card. I guess the idea was that they could be remotely controlled and they could collect data on usage patterns but it never worked in our countryside location as there was no phone reception.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Uber this evening was a BYD Atto 3.. a very non-European (ie German) layout in the cabin.. quiet and smooth drive though.

Door handle was a bit wacky..
Attachments
IMG_5894.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Cheers,

Ian
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That is bollocks Mito.

The later grant stipulated that the unit had smart features so you could benefit from off peak or load management tariffs. Some had a SIM card but most connected to the house WiFi/Router.

You're not required to use or even leave the smart function connected!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think this is before that, 2014. Smart chargers didn’t exist then, they just had a government supplied meter with a SIM card which then connected to the charger.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks like a good solution, just easily vandalised.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

And totally relies on you being able to park on the road outside your house. Imagine how territorial people will get then?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Simon wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:47 pm And totally relies on you being able to park on the road outside your house. Imagine how territorial people will get then?
True.. my neighbour has a car he’s not driven since before Covid that has been parked in front of our house for 6 months 🤷‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Got big tower, loose hanging cable, will make a street look horrific and easy to vandalise or swing on. At least it’s not as stupid as the cable ramps I’ve seen about, very selfish and stupid.

Why not a covered channel in the pavement ? It stops the streets looking like industrial units. You can either have a brush to cover it or a plate.

The parking outside your home thing is a completely different problem that needs solving. When my sister lives in Beckenham the street parking was always full but at least all nose to tail and efficient. If cars with different charging ports in different locations have to do the same thing then it could well become in-efficient.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 pm

Why not a covered channel in the pavement ? It stops the streets looking like industrial units. You can either have a brush to cover it or a plate.

Dave!
There is one of these available already, but presumably requires council approval to dig the pavement up. I wouldn't want that gantry outside my house either, looks awful and asking for trouble.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:06 pm
I wonder if that would need an Oversail Licence from the Highway Authority...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 am I wonder if that would need an Oversail Licence from the Highway Authority...
Almost certainly that or a highways licence. You can't stick a sandwich board or other temporary structure on or over the highway without a highways licence and this is permanent. Pavement is part of the highway of course.
mik

Post by mik »

It's ugly, and it's also heightist. @DeskJockey would bash his head on that if walking past..... :?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:24 am It's ugly, and it's also heightist. @DeskJockey would bash his head on that if walking past..... :?
I could duck?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well this ugly solution only exists because of the council’s lack of investment to provide the infrastructure in the first place. If someone doesn’t have off street parking and the government really believe in their own bollocks and want everyone to buy EVs then stick a charge point outside for every car parking space.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 am I wonder if that would need an Oversail Licence from the Highway Authority...
Almost certainly that or a highways licence. You can't stick a sandwich board or other temporary structure on or over the highway without a highways licence and this is permanent. Pavement is part of the highway of course.
Yep. The only solution that will work in most of the UK will be the in-pavement trunking solutions. Could well imagine that if they're not delivered with chargers in lighting columns, that they'd be delivered via property owners paying the Authority to install - a bit like you would if you wanted a dropped kerb installing.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

IanF wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:06 pm
As terrible an idea as the music they have inexplicably put it to. Is Craig David doing commercial work now?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

"I TOOK AN EV ON A EUROPEAN ROAD TRIP: HERE’S WHAT I LEARNT"; https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/7314/taki ... -to-france
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'm in Fort Lauderdale at the minute and I saw a very familiar looking car, that I haven't sent for years, and it's an electric version!

Mini Moke!

It looks like the old ones, possibly a bit bigger, sounded weird when it took off, I've put a pic on twitter as I still can't post pictures here :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

16vCento wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:02 pm I've put a pic on twitter as I still can't post pictures here :lol: