The House Projects Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:38 am In all seriousness, that's how much a house like that _should_ cost. It's just that prices in the south particularly, have gone crazy.
This. I have looked at stuff up to £1.5m in Worcestershire and there's a lot of optimistic pricing; I think this (on the same road, just done up by a builder) will need a haircut to sell: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137515784

But even in the Midlands people seem to be quite happy to buy a pretty unexciting house priced at £500k as a first or second time buy; that used to be enough to get you somewhere you wouldn't ever want to move from. Now it gets you something like this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/143430890

I think we've got a proper deal. There was no point trying to move in that mad COVID boom and I think we've really had the benefit of the lull afterwards.
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 am
Simon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:38 am In all seriousness, that's how much a house like that _should_ cost. It's just that prices in the south particularly, have gone crazy.
I agree. That's the cost of foreign investment in property driving up the prices, I think.

It will never come to pass, but as a thought experiment it would interesting to consider what would happen if they introduced similar legislation to Denmark. If you buy a property as an individual you have an obligation to live in it. There is some leeway (e.g., you can rent it out to cover working abroad for a limited period), but you cannot hoard property in the same way as has happened here.

For summerhouses you must demonstrate a strong connection to the country before you're allowed to buy, irrespective of whether you've agreed to buy or not. That keeps prices low, as an example we looked last year and found that similar houses to the one we rented for a week (90sqm, fully kitted out, in really good condition, five mins from a great beach, one hour from Copenhagen), was easily found for about £130k.
I like everything about that.

The problem is that parties of all colours have failed completely on housing. And whenever there was the possibility or a slight pricing correction they introduced stupid measures like stamp duty holidays and the like.

At one point when Brown was CoE he considered allowing people to put residential property into their pension pots. Can you imagine? All the shit show of BTL with the added tax breaks at 20/40/45% or whatever on purchase. Luckily someone must've tapped him on the shoulder at some point before that came to pass and highlighted what a fcking stupid idea it ever was. What a sad, desperate mess we are in.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am
This. I have looked at stuff up to £1.5m in Worcestershire and there's a lot of optimistic pricing; I think this (on the same road, just done up by a builder) will need a haircut to sell: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137515784
A nice enough place but who wants to spend £800k on a house and have the back fence 20ft from their back door?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Back onto more mundane house work...

I spent Saturday repairing broken floor panels in our place. It really is coming to light just how shoddily built the house is. It has Floor Panels rather than floorboards (which is fine) but in a lot of places, the joins overhand free space and are not supported by a joist or a noggin. This has two effects:

1. They squeak like you wouldn't believe - anyone walking about upstairs sounds like an elephant learning to tap dance
2. Due to my generous proportions and my son playing basketball in his room like an NBA final, we've gone through in 3 or 4 places.

Example:

The floor panel is supported by a re-tasked skirting board

At this point, the join was 3" in from the support on the right leading to a 10" overhang from the left. High traffic area so it broke

And finally, the overhang of the board on the right was held in place with screw in to free space - only it wasn't in free space. It was held by the screw below sticking out of the joist... :roll:

Only saving grace is I bought myself a DeWalt Multi-tool to do the work which is awesome... 8-)
Last edited by dinny_g on Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am This. I have looked at stuff up to £1.5m in Worcestershire and there's a lot of optimistic pricing; I think this (on the same road, just done up by a builder) will need a haircut to sell: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137515784
The Bridge is the last of 4 pubs on the way to Worcs, nice village that isnt too far from civilisation. Some great driving roads east and west too.

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am But even in the Midlands people seem to be quite happy to buy a pretty unexciting house priced at £500k as a first or second time buy; that used to be enough to get you somewhere you wouldn't ever want to move from. Now it gets you something like this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/143430890

There are some crazy houses prices in Bromsgrove, specific school catchment areas are very high despite the town being dogged by traffic and the centre containing only estate agents, charity shops and vape shops.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

How are you going to sort that Dinny? I imagine tongue and groove flooring would solve the issue but that is much harder to fit to an existing floor and is going to make it impossible ever to get up without causing the same issues in future.

Yesterday unfortunately revealed a rather urgent house project - I mentally parked this as I was getting the keys to the new house, but I need to sort it because the house (my thatched place) is being sold, completing 7 March.

Basically a creature - probably a bird - has got down the chimney and been trapped in there. It has pecked at the wooden trim round the windows, causing a fair bit of superficial damage:

I'm not sure of the best way to sort this out. I think replacing that piece of trim is going to be pretty tricky to get right so my thought is to fill, sand and paint. With the amount of drying required after each fill and layer of paint I think it is going to take a good few days of visits to finish. Any suggestions?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:45 am There are some crazy houses prices in Bromsgrove, specific school catchment areas are very high despite the town being dogged by traffic and the centre containing only estate agents, charity shops and vape shops.
It's a bit mad isn't it - I think Bromsgrove's pricing has brought Redditch up a bit too and I'll never understand that (and I say that as someone who lived there for 7-8 years of my childhood).
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:50 am How are you going to sort that Dinny? I imagine tongue and groove flooring would solve the issue but that is much harder to fit to an existing floor and is going to make it impossible ever to get up without causing the same issues in future.
I'm using the multi took to trim back the existing tongue and grove flooring back to the middle of the Joist or Noggin and then cutting new 18mm hardboards to fill in the gaps.

This was a particularly difficult spot with the pipes but thankfully most don't have this issue. Where there is space, I'm adding a noggin in to provide extra support because they've only broken in the high traffic areas so it's a little belt and braces
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 am
I agree. That's the cost of foreign investment in property driving up the prices, I think.

It will never come to pass, but as a thought experiment it would interesting to consider what would happen if they introduced similar legislation to Denmark. If you buy a property as an individual you have an obligation to live in it. There is some leeway (e.g., you can rent it out to cover working abroad for a limited period), but you cannot hoard property in the same way as has happened here.

For summerhouses you must demonstrate a strong connection to the country before you're allowed to buy, irrespective of whether you've agreed to buy or not. That keeps prices low, as an example we looked last year and found that similar houses to the one we rented for a week (90sqm, fully kitted out, in really good condition, five mins from a great beach, one hour from Copenhagen), was easily found for about £130k.
TBH, Capital Gains Tax on all property would also help, but if I were overlord I'd then remove property assets from inheritance tax. So the tax is effectively only levied if the capital gains are actually realised.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@dinny_g That looks infuriating.

When we had the floors redone in our bedroom I stripped the old one off first to save a bit. Glad I did, as the "builder" that had done work there before had been rather lax too. For reasons I can't fathom he'd cut one of the floorboards right before the joist, then not fixed it, creating a nice little springboard.

All it took was to remove a couple of screws, screw a bit of wood to the joist and reattach. Maybe 10 minutes worth of work. It was his own home, why not finish the job?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 amThen I started looking near my parents in Cornwall and found a lovely place in Marazion with views of St. Michael's Mount - for about the same price as our 30's semi in S. Manchester, but with an annexe that could probably return at least the monthly mortgage payments we have... :lol: Could virtually retire :shock:

Trouble is when you have kids, and they're happy in the school they're in. Tricky.
Cornwall would be my retirement (or semi-retirement) dream too, but with work and schooling etc, it's going have to wait a while. :(
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:50 am How are you going to sort that Dinny? I imagine tongue and groove flooring would solve the issue but that is much harder to fit to an existing floor and is going to make it impossible ever to get up without causing the same issues in future.

Yesterday unfortunately revealed a rather urgent house project - I mentally parked this as I was getting the keys to the new house, but I need to sort it because the house (my thatched place) is being sold, completing 7 March.

Basically a creature - probably a bird - has got down the chimney and been trapped in there. It has pecked at the wooden trim round the windows, causing a fair bit of superficial damage:

I'm not sure of the best way to sort this out. I think replacing that piece of trim is going to be pretty tricky to get right so my thought is to fill, sand and paint. With the amount of drying required after each fill and layer of paint I think it is going to take a good few days of visits to finish. Any suggestions?
2 part resin wood filler, will dry in minutes. Failing that just landlord it and paint over it :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:24 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 amThen I started looking near my parents in Cornwall and found a lovely place in Marazion with views of St. Michael's Mount - for about the same price as our 30's semi in S. Manchester, but with an annexe that could probably return at least the monthly mortgage payments we have... :lol: Could virtually retire :shock:

Trouble is when you have kids, and they're happy in the school they're in. Tricky.
Cornwall would be my retirement (or semi-retirement) dream too, but with work and schooling etc, it's going have to wait a while. :(
Don't forget you're also quite young. A bit early to start wearing a trilby and wax lyrical about the latest classic FM Christmas album.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:27 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:24 pm

Don't forget you're also quite young. A bit early to start wearing a trilby and wax lyrical about the latest classic FM Christmas album.
HaHa, I don't feel young. I feel ready... scary to think I'm still only half way through my working life.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'm listening to the plumber fitting the shwer screen in our ensuite which marks the last piece of work in a build that has been going on actually since May last year but a year previously in the planning too.
We always bought our place on the location and plot more than the house itself, it was a little small for a 4 bed detached (2 small singles, only a main family bathroom) compared to our old place which was a 3 double bed place with ensute to master (we need the rooms for the kids though so made the sacfirice for the long game). It was a big corner plot, double garage and large front garden (half of which is now also a double driveway), the house itself was oblong (just about) and a bit slab sided, not very pretty with minimal kerb appeal. In a small cul-de-sac that back onto the school fields every other property has sold quickly when on the market and we got a bargain due to a messy divorce and court order. The sale did take a long time to complete though.
I knew I could effectively stretch the house about 2m lengthways without ruining the garden and put on a small side extension to give me an office (reclaiming the garage space I was using to put the TVR away) and breakup the slab side like the property opposite has done, so back in early 2022 we engaged an architect via a friend (the intended builder was the son of the architect) who started plans for us, he then after getting to structural stage had a big stroke (he was in his early 80's), we waited to see if he'd recover but after 6 months it was apparent he'd have to reitre and we found another chap who after wait drew up plans and we got them submitted achieving planning consent in late 2023.

Old: https://publicaccess.hart.gov.uk/online ... 681334.pdf

New: https://publicaccess.hart.gov.uk/online ... 681336.pdf

Correcting the Barryed links above: https://publicaccess.hart.gov.uk/online ... 6W9HZFZU00

(note to self check in incog window befroe posting)

Quotes were gotten from 3 builder (well only 2 priced, the 3rd never returned) and we went with the son of the original architect over a firm that was local and presented really well and it was only the fact the plumber friend of our knew the builder was the decider.

Work was planned to start mid April 23 but due to over runs because of weather it was pushed back to early May, when sadly about a year to the day of the stroke the original architect passed away. Naturally the builder took some time off but only a week and true to his word and project plan he came in pretty much on time and on budget (save for us up speccing a better front door from his basic item quote). That was completed back last September (with a few leftovers delayed by the plumber being completed in October).
Going back to the plumber it's safe to say it has been a challenge, there were 3 weeks while we were in Florida where the new boiler, hot water tanks, main bathroom and supporting pipework were supposed to be fitted, out of the 3 weeks he spent 4 day on our place and we returned home to no bathroom and no water at all (after a 10 hour flight). He basically overbooks himself and tries to juggle everything, really only achieving pissed off customers, but gets booked as what he does is very good (the mitred tile joints look outstanding compared to trim strips). As part of the build though he has had a lot to do, which consisted of.
1. Fit new boiler and hotwater tank converting to pressurised system
2. Refiting main bathroom including tiling
3. Fit underfloor heating in the downstairs
4. Fit ensuite including tiling
I elected to help him with the UFH, breaking up the old screed, laying the levelling compounds, fitting pipework and insulation.
I also decided I'd fit the kltchen, hang the new doors, cut and fit skrting/architraves, paint (with the wifes help), shuffle the master bedroom around (which also delayed us as we had black mould and a ceiling to replaster).
I will get a fit before/after pics up as it's quite a bit of work.
Upshot is that I hardly used the car last year, never went racing as my boys lived in the caravan on the driveway and got majorly stressed as things overan and we lived in chaos for a year.
That said the release is almost worse than the stress as I seem to decompress but hopefully I can get back to normal for the summer and take a needed break, well after we fix the garden and pation that were ruined by the work!

Carl.
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds like fun :?

Both of the above display as "document unavailable" to me - not sure if you have to be registered and logged in to view?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

BARRY :lol:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:28 pm
Sounds like fun :?

Both of the above display as "document unavailable" to me - not sure if you have to be registered and logged in to view?
Maybe you have to go via the portal on this link: https://publicaccess.hart.gov.uk/online ... 6W9HZFZU00

Works in incog window for me, you want exisitng and proposed plans, but obviously welcome to peruse the lot, after all it's public access.
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:39 pm BARRY :lol:
I was trying to save you clicks, to the corrects dcos, honest guv :oops:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Some shots of the old interior:

We were actually looking at selling to buy a property with mum after my dad passed but coudln't sell, so the rightmove ad is archieved so it give an idea of the old: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-price ... 95b4feaf#/
Some in progress pics: