The House Projects Thread

mik

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by mik »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:36 pm
Aurora are our default for value downlights as they rarely give issues and have a nicer spread of light than the other cheap options we've tried.
That’s what I went for recently too. Much wider beam angle so much better light dispersion in the room.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:53 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:14 pm To be honest, first time around they took 6 months to reach a decision so I can handle this sort of thing, but yes, would have made sense if they'd asked for it as part of the initial application. They're also wanting details of paving and slates being used so they can be ranked too.
Approving materials is a common post-consent condition in England too. Is the biodiversity assessment because they think you have great crested newts on the land or something?
No, no concerns over a direct environmental impact on the site itself, its basically just at the end of a grazing field, there's nowt (newt) in it.

Looks like the Highland Council are wanting to ensure that all materials used are environmentally sound and that there's a landscaping plan which encourages biodiversity in line with their guidelines and objectives.

We've not got down to choosing the exact slate, paving, stones etc so that's fine and we can put in loads of wildflowers etc so it should be ok. They were saying that any trees planted during development, which are felled or damaged within 5 years must be reinstated, so I guess they've had people putting trees in to get through planning then just rip them up after.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

"Highland Council"

Good luck with those cunts.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:34 pm "Highland Council"

Good luck with those cunts.
:lol:

They have an 8 week target for deciding these. First time around, it took them 6 months...

I didn't get any money back for the substandard service obviously!
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It's heading for 6 years since I started this thread. Today our house project finally moves forward; we have bought another house. Considering there was no chain either side it has taken a while; our third offer was accepted last September, as we sat in the Burgh Island Hotel in the sun drinking champagne. We’ve seen most of the seasons since our first viewing!

Apart from making our current house more liveable (decorating throughout, new carpets and hard floors, new hot water system, Evohome, new hob and oven in the kitchen etc) we haven’t actually done any of the intended improvements I planned when we bought it in 2017. It’s still a perfect basis for doing them and it would be profitable I’m sure, even at today’s inflated building costs, but at first with a wedding to pay for it was financially imprudent and as COVID hit, doing the work became less practical while living there - not least because of the number of cats we had by then. Even moving out and renting while we had the work done was not feasible with animals to house. And if we did the work the house would still be a long way from my offices so much as I love the location and views, I've had half any eye on moving since 2020.

Our new place is bigger with more land, about 20 miles up the road in the Worcestershire countryside. I’d had it on my radar on Rightmove for a while and when my wife agreed she'd be happy to move we got straight on with a viewing. And it doesn’t need work other than a bit of painting in a couple of places to suit our taste. It has an almost new kitchen - the big sticking point with our current house; I didn’t bother to re-fit what we have because it would have been ripped out for the extension which we never did…

I’ve had too many colleagues engaged in permanent projects to want to end up in that situation myself. The new house is a 1700s cottage which has been extended a bit over the last 50 years. That means there are recently built bits which should have good insulation as well as quaint old bits. It’s the sort of thing you wouldn’t build in this way if you started from scratch on the plot and that’s why I like it. Hopefully the cats will too; they’ll have plenty of space to run around in.

I shall enjoy following all the other projects in this thread. My remaining project is to sell the old house; I'll put up some photos when the estate agents have taken them for sale as a 2017/2024 contrast. And I have to find the right mower for the small paddock at the new house. I’ve been sold in principle on a robot mower but I really want a ride-on which collects, so the robot can be for the future when I'm bored of mowing.

Oh did you want a photo?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That looks lovely Simon!
mik

Post by mik »

Looks nice, and location sounds better for you.

How many square measurement units does it possess? From the pic, my guess is in the order of 280sqm/3000sqft?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks like it has some amazing history - congrats, Simon!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Stunning! Well done Simon!
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

That's a lovely house 8-) Garage looks a bit small though ;)

So...when's the house warming party? Are we all invited?
GG.

Post by GG. »

What you can't see out of shot is a small ramp up on to the front garden so Simon can host a concours a la Heveningham Hall :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not stalking... I swear Jobbo... but I've found it on Rightmove. :D

Good Christ that's a stunning home, particularly the kitchen. It's a lovely mix of "ultra sharp and modern" and "exposed beams tumbledown house". Ourside, patio, garden, garage etc looks awesome too

Many many congratulations - here's to many happy years there !
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

That is lovely, congrats!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Looks lush 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That looks awesome.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Congratulations Jobbo!.. bonus point for now having an excuse to get a sit on lawnmower! 👍
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

Lovely place, good choice! And by christ you get a lot more for your money up there don't you? Similar money down here gets you.... bugger all.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:18 pm Lovely place, good choice! And by christ you get a lot more for your money up there don't you? Similar money down here gets you.... bugger all.
Don't. Just don't. You'll only make yourself cry.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

House looks lovely!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Looks amazing! I've also stalked it on Rightmove and it's got a fantastic layout and sselection of rooms. Agree about the kitchen too, that looks dreamy, someone's done a fab job there. Also love the combination of garage and car ports. Very nice indeed, congrats!