Homeplugs (mostly for Beanz I suspect)

DeskJockey

Homeplugs (mostly for Beanz I suspect)

Post by DeskJockey »

One of my trusty Solwise Homeplugs failed! Luckily I had a spare, so could plug that in and get the network back up and running, but apart from running proper network cables, is there a better option?

I bought them in 2014, so perhaps a decade isn't too unreasonable.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Re: Homeplugs (mostly for Beanz I suspect)

Post by Beany »

Nah, not really a better option unless you're prepared to dump a couple of hundred quid into mesh networking, which in fairness is actually a viable thing these days at not horrific costs.

Homeplugs haven't really got that much better in terms of data rates in the last ten years (they'll advertise multiple gig rates, but in the real world, they never get that far) so I'd expect any decent main brand one these days should be pretty solid, and ideally at least as reliable as the existing ones.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Cheers. Have mesh WiFi, but the NAS is cable only and not in a suitable location to connect to the router, and the printer is old with flaky WiFi. I'll keep what I've got for now.
---
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mesh WiFi with something decent like Unify can also give you network ports on the WiFi point.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yup. When I'm next upgrading kit, I might go for a unified solution, but until the current setup stops working, I'm not spending on it.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Even my Google Wifi devices have an ethernet port on them - just the one but you could always add a switch.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Have unmanaged switches hanging off the adapters. When it is time for an overhaul I'll look at something a bit more elaborate with better control options.
---
scotta

Post by scotta »

I've got TP Link powerline ethernet out to the cabin in the Garden. It works well enough to surf and stream music but it struggles a bit for teams. Best i get even on CAT 6 with them is around 30 meg (from a promised up to 500 meg) versus 550 in the house on CAT 6. I should really have a play with moving the adapter around the house and see if i can get it on a shorter powerline run. Unsure if that would be any better however.