Charidee

Mito Man

Charidee

Post by Mito Man »

Bit of an odd one, I was collecting my curtains from Timpsons dry cleaning, outside the store there was a man collecting on behalf of a charity.
4 pairs of large curtains so I made 4 trips back and forth to the car and on each occasion he said the same speech to me. Memory of a goldfish. On the last trip I got some change out of my car to give him and he says “no cash, direct debit only”
Fuck off. He even had a collection pot but it was for display only…
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Re: Charidee

Post by Explosive Newt »

I tend to come up with escalating excuses in these situations. A recent favourite was “I’m sorry but I need a poo” delivered in a clipped Radio 4 tone.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Charity muggers seem to think they deserve my full attention just because they are standing in the way - or worse yet, they try that tactic of waiting until you're just past them before calling for your attention (and by turning you around you've effectively stopped for them).

I just ignore them entirely now, unless they're rude, then I tell them to fuck off.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

What really gets me is the way some of them seem to genuinely get angry as if they are entitled to your money. Some numpty from the air ambulance did this to me so I told him I thought his charity was a waste of time because 95% of their patients die anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:16 pm Some numpty from the air ambulance did this to me so I told him I thought his charity was a waste of time because 95% of their patients die anyway.
I’m pretty sure it’s closer to 100% *

* eventually
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

😂
But 95% :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:13 pm Charity muggers seem to think they deserve my full attention just because they are standing in the way - or worse yet, they try that tactic of waiting until you're just past them before calling for your attention (and by turning you around you've effectively stopped for them).

I just ignore them entirely now, unless they're rude, then I tell them to fuck off.
That's about right - though I tend to say a firm 'no' rather than swear at them.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I just lie…

“I already support you”

Tends to work
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm old enough not to care if I'm rude, I just look them in the eyes and give a firm "no" and keep walking.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I usually say "These are not the coins you are looking for"
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:40 pm 😂
But 95% :shock:
It’s probably better for the trauma victims but out of hospital cardiac arrest (what we see) has a completely miserable survival.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

What boils my piss is when the have a badge that says they’re a paid collector

I point out that as a scout leader I am an unpaid volunteer, and any spare cash I have tends to be spent on the group. Neither are lies, but when the don’t stop badgering me after that I ask if how many people have to sign up to make the charity in profit after their wages are paid.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Or when they get narky when I say "No Disrespect but I'm not giving my bank details to some random person outside the co-op"

"But... but.. I have a lanyard!!!"
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…