EV Thread

nuttinnew

Re: EV Thread

Post by nuttinnew »

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:29 pm assuming 30mpg in a petrol

Why so low?

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:29 pm Take that Daily Mail.
Always, I don't want to detract from it.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simply the last time I visited them was Jan 2020 in my M2.

Even my wife's new petrol Sportage wouldn't be much better.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Interesting..

Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 pm Simply the last time I visited them was Jan 2020 in my M2.

Even my wife's new petrol Sportage wouldn't be much better.
Ah, fair enough - Sportage sounds thirsty enough to justify using the M2 instead :o
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I still have absolutey no idea whether I should fully charge my car or not. The only info Tesla want to give is that you should charge it fully about once a week but what is optimal for daily charging I have no idea. I currently go for 75% most of the time and only run it up to full when I am going to drive it immediately after.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'd say if you're not keeping it forever just charge it fully and don't worry about it.

Although only a PHEV, I fully charge the Kuga most days even if it's not empty, I'd rather have all the miles I can.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:47 am I still have absolutey no idea whether I should fully charge my car or not. The only info Tesla want to give is that you should charge it fully about once a week but what is optimal for daily charging I have no idea. I currently go for 75% most of the time and only run it up to full when I am going to drive it immediately after.
Which Model 3 do you have?
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

16vCento wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:01 am I'd say if you're not keeping it forever just charge it fully and don't worry about it.

Although only a PHEV, I fully charge the Kuga most days even if it's not empty, I'd rather have all the miles I can.
kind of sums up why the second hand market for EVs is messed up - no one even knows whether they should be charging the batteries fully or not - yet the manufacturers are happy to quote full battery ranges.
Barry

Post by Barry »

If you don't need it full why worry about it, for daily use? I tend to just chuck a couple hours into it every few days, only 100% if I need the full range.

Also, if you're home charging I wouldn't worry about it either way, it's a trickle charge in real terms, so it shouldn't upset the battery too much.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 am If you don't need it full why worry about it, for daily use? I tend to just chuck a couple hours into it every few days, only 100% if I need the full range.

Also, if you're home charging I wouldn't worry about it either way, it's a trickle charge in real terms, so it shouldn't upset the battery too much.
Fine if your daily usage is a predictable short journey, but I'd want to be keeping the battery full - in case a site visit was sprung on me some something. Is that bad for it?
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah I wouldn't be messing about with a full EV, I'd just leave it in charge all the time at home and keep it full, I'd rather have the convenience than worry about what might or might not happen.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'd expect any decent BMS to not charge the individual cells to 100% (as it's individual cells charging to 100% all the time that causes issues, along with high charge rates when near full), but to charge them to 85-90% and have that as the rated 'max charge' capacity.

That manufacturers aren't very transparent about this sort of thing is the real problem.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

As Barry says it's not an issue with AC charging just fill it up.

With the i3 the handbook even says you can charge to 100% on DC. The BMS tapers the load above 90% for you.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Most cars which aren’t Tesla’s have a bigger buffer so you can charge them to what is claimed to be 100% without problem. Not so on a Tesla however the charging display recommends what percentage, and you can charge above it for longer trips but you should’ve just leave it charged at 100% overnight. The idea is you set the time of departure and it charges it so it is at 100% as you leave.
The LFP cars are different and you need to charge them to 100% at least once a week or they lose calibration.
It’s all on the screen/app
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am
Barry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 am If you don't need it full why worry about it, for daily use? I tend to just chuck a couple hours into it every few days, only 100% if I need the full range.

Fine if your daily usage is a predictable short journey, but I'd want to be keeping the battery full - in case a site visit was sprung on me some something. Is that bad for it?
Yeah, in your case it's probably sensible to keep it topped up. Only bad if you're rapid charging it each time though, if just filling it every night at home, I wouldn't worry.
mik

Post by mik »

Audi recommend (for the original E-Tron) that you charge to 80% for normal use, and only to 90% or 100% when you need to. This isn't any issue for normal day-to-day needs. We've probably charged it to 100% less than 10x since we got it, and that's generally done on a timer so it's complete 15-30mins before we plan to leave. It's easy enough to change the charge level via the app.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, it's only really "what-if-ism" but I can't help thinking that level of confusion and fear mongering will really kill the 2nd hand market for EVs.

What if the battery is fucked and I need to spend £xxxx on a new one? Etc...
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Do cars adjust their estimated range as they get older, or do they work like old mobile phones and laptops which report 8 hours use but only last 2?
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Two I3's I looked at both showed full charges but one showed 130 miles and the other 151, both similar mileage cars and both 69 plate cars.

I'd guess there's a lot to take onto account though, so I'm not sure without plugging it in and checking actual cell values how you would ascertain the health of it, I know Nissan have an indicator iirc showing how much of the original charge it can still take?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

There is an 8 year 100k miles warranty on lots of EV's, i couldn't find a single example of a hv battery failure in the uk on an i3 before buying mine.