Apple Vision Pro

Beany

Re: Apple Vision Pro

Post by Beany »

Joking aside (and a slight aside to the thread), that separation is important and worth doing - if you need to get away from the 'work' side for a couple of days, turn it off and pop it on the drawer while you chill out and read a book.

I have never - ever - understood people who use the same phone for work and personal stuff.
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:07 pm
I have never - ever - understood people who use the same phone for work and personal stuff.
Why not? I silence email and other messenger services out of hours.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:12 pm
doesn't anyone phone you?
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:26 pm
I ignore calls I don’t want to take
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:59 am Yeah, I expect for practical work usage, VR will be like touch screen monitors. Quite useful Now and then, but ultimately way more effort than a mouse.
I was talking to a dev I know who's flown to NYC to get his one and he has been working from his hotel room with his laptop and headset. You can connect Vision Pro to your Mac and it gives you a mirrored desktop you can use but scale up to whatever size you like. Then with other Vision Pro or iPad apps around you, he's getting a lot done although is using the keyboard and trackpad.

I don't think anything will ever beat keyboard and mouse will it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:41 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:26 pm

I ignore calls I don’t want to take
I don't take/ignore any work calls out of hours - I leave my work phone in my bag each night and it stays home/off when I go on AL. Balls to even thinking about work stuff!

Tbf I do have the leadership team WhatsApp group on my own phone, so I would know if the shit hits the fan. But they wouldn't ask me to do that.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Can you imagine going into your local coffee shop in a few years time and it's going to be full of these wankers :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The worst thing is, I'll try to resist it for a while, but you always end up feeling like everyone else is doing it, then everything gets set up to work with it and life seems to just become difficult if you don't have it.

I resisted smartphones for many years beyond the first iphone, but they always get you in the end.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:18 pm Can you imagine going into your local coffee shop in a few years time and it's going to be full of these wankers :lol:
Coffee shops are already done for, they'll be way more interesting if everyone's hands are waving around in the air :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Soon we'll all be like

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, that would be way easier just using a mouse.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Gavster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 am I think our brains are soon going to melt from information overload. It's bad enough have a smartphone that you have to fight to stop overdosing on unnecessary crap, now he's got it set up so he just has it all around him. I want less of this shit personally (must be getting old).
I recently bought a second iPhone to run my social media from, so that my own phone remains 'personal' and creates a boundary. All that happens now is that I do a load of social media stuff, put that phone down, then pick up my own phone and start checking stuff on that. I've basically created additional screentime :lol:

That is the negative view, because in reality, I'm also implementing tools and processes that reduce the amount of time I need to make content, so it will have a pay-off.
You're welcome... ;)

Yes, Android allows you to have two completely separate profiles - apps are duplicated, not combined etc (i.e. I have two Gmail apps, not one but with two accounts co-mingled)

And I can choose to snooze all my work apps with the tap of a button so I don't get notifications etc

It's incredibly useful!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:50 am If I flew more I’d be tempted to buy an Oculus Quest 2 to watch movies with on the airplane, but that’s only £250. I’ve never used my Oculus Rift to view 2D movies though, I’d want exclusive 3D titles on something that costs as much as a Vision Pro.
This guy tested on a plane and basically it's a big win, especially when paired with noise-cancelling airpods, you get an immersive experience where you can totally block out the plane

Beany

Post by Beany »

Three and a half grand so you can do a few more things on a plane more conveniently while looking like a berk doesn't seem like a killer app to me.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m seeing the videos where it doesn’t look repairable at all.
I reckon with Apple Care if anything happens they just bin it and give you a brand new one.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

They kinda do that anyway with higher-end stuff. If they have issues fixing something they just give you a new replacement.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Apple halving planned Vision Pro production/shipments.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/04/23/ap ... shipments/
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

As awesome as the VisonPro is, it has the 3DTV problem whereby the experience was cool but people just CBA with the glasses. Most people don't want to wear a computer on their head.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I'm surprised they expected to sell 700 to 800k units - according to that article. That seems very high! Even 400k to 450k units downgrade sounds like a lot. Especially as the starting price is $3499... That's lot of cash for what still feels like a gimmick to me. Not sure how much different it is to the Meta quest in reality, but that's only £455 on Amazon.

Outside of the initial hype on YouTube when it released, I've seen nothing on the Vision Pro since. It was only reading this thread that made me think - oh yeah, that's a thing.

Couldn't see myself using one either, as I've found VR stuff normally just gives me a headache.