Food in Covent Garden ??

Simon

Re: Food in Covent Garden ??

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 pm I’ve never been to Hawksmoor and it’s probably overpriced and not as good as it used to be, but I’d be tempted to try it. The one at Seven Dials is convenient.
Whenever I'm taking a client to dinner I try to take them to the one next to our office in Soho. It's worth the money to my taste buds. Bloody lovely steaks.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah I've been to two of the Hawksmoors in London, they are bloody good.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I also have never been but need to give it a try. That said when I want a steak fix my default would be to go to l'Entrecote. I went to M not long ago and that was good but not unbelievable IMO. Last work funded lunch was 34 Mayfair on Tuesday - was decent but nothing that special to be honest. I had salad though but the steaks others had looked average-ish and no-one said they were great.

Not steak related but Bob Bob Ricard a couple of weeks back was also a bit 'meh'. Steak tartare not the best but very good Champagne and Chicken Pie (someone else's image below). Sad thing is you don't really enjoy any of these places when you're doing forced hobnobbing with clients/colleagues.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

GG. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:17 pm l'Entrecote.
Funnily enough, that was our first choice as they’re staying in Marylebone but that location is closed for a few months.

I’d the other one as good??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
GG.

Post by GG. »

I’ve not been to the Marylebone one but the bank is the older of the two and is very good.

It never used to be open at the weekend because it’s obviously mostly city workers… that is until it became an Instagram hit and full of younger people.

I would expect the city one will be much less busy in a Sunday - normally you have to queue for a while to get in.
John

Post by John »

I had a fantastic evening of food and drink in a French restaurant in Covent Garden. Unfortunately the night was so good that I can't remember the name of the restaurant although I do recall entering down a flight of stairs.

You're welcome.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cheers GG… might be an option. My sister and her husband have been wanting to try it (they’re over regularly at the moment) and Mini Dinny is a steak fiend…

@John - thanks. Very helpful 😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

John wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:15 pm I had a fantastic evening of food and drink in a French restaurant in Covent Garden. Unfortunately the night was so good that I can't remember the name of the restaurant although I do recall entering down a flight of stairs.

You're welcome.
I’m sure it was entirely intentional but that reads very much as if your entry down the stairs was not entirely on your feet 😂
John

Post by John »

I may have missed one or two...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Reminds me of the time I met up with some members of this forum at the LJR after a convivial lunch in town and gave away my inebriation by asking for the wine list and then holding a menu upside down trying to find the wine... Excellent day out that was.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I must have missed that one, but then I only have vague memories of some LJR visits. What did Alexi Sayle have to say on the matter?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 am I must have missed that one, but then I only have vague memories of some LJR visits. What did Alexi Sayle have to say on the matter?
I'd already moved out of London so it would have been around 2007 at a guess. I think Gav (Zonda) was there.