Tedious but traditional New Car thread

Mito Man

Re: Tedious but traditional New Car thread

Post by Mito Man »

So there was an Evo forum sex orgy then one of the members went gay afterwards? :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

Hanging out the back of Donna will do that to you (allegedly)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Insurance bought via BMW Flex.

Just got to Pay The Man, do the V5 thing, tax it, then crash- er I mean drive it home. :shock:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Ten points to Jobson for the use of 'have a go on' :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Current weather:
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 466 times
roflmao fr fr smh my head.

Hopefully will clear by Saturday.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Better put some snow chains on the front tyres.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:12 pm Current weather:
Snow.jpg

roflmao fr fr smh my head.

Hopefully will clear by Saturday.
I thought this was your new car photo (I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't from your previous photography efforts tbf).
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'll probably try to do a little better than that :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

95% of the car is visible. That’s a win.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

An M135i would probably be catastrophically bad in the snow if my old 335i was anything to go by
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Put appropriate tyres on it and it'll do fine.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:56 pm An M135i would probably be catastrophically bad in the snow if my old 335i was anything to go by
The TC on our F20 125i was a lot more relaxed than the TC on my E91, so yeah, I'd imagine they could be fairly amusing :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

the e92 M3 traction control was an immeasurable improvement over the shitty e46 M3 system (which was so crap I just turned it off every drive), but it’s also better than the M2 system imo - ///M1 is too controlling and ///M2 setting is too loose. The old e92 ///M setting was perfect.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Odd. The TC on my E91 is fairly crude and doesn't really allow any slip. I was sat trying to join a roundabout the other day (one of those where you have to go for any gap you see or you'll be there all day) and it refused to move even on a light foot. :lol: The 125i used to allow a bit of slip so at least you could start to make progress
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:42 pm Odd. The TC on my E91 is fairly crude and doesn't really allow any slip. I was sat trying to join a roundabout the other day (one of those where you have to go for any gap you see or you'll be there all day) and it refused to move even on a light foot. :lol: The 125i used to allow a bit of slip so at least you could start to make progress
sounds like the system from the e46 M3 (probably taken and put on the normal e90s) - it just cut power when it slipped. The e92 M3 was the M dynamic Mode - which allowed complete sideways but gathered you up if you were in trouble.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Most of the snow has gone today so it'll just be the usual cold 'n' wet light right foot that's required, I suspect.

And yeah, the E46 traction/stability control is....well, it either takes a bit to catch up with you, or it spoils the fun before it even starts doesn't it?

That said the E46 is on all seasons so it's fine in this sort of stuff.

My mates GT86 is on summer tyres though, and he's taking me up to collect, so hopefully he doesn't try to be a smartarse on the way up there or we'll never arrive, just be upside down in a ditch somewhere :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:12 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:42 pm Odd. The TC on my E91 is fairly crude and doesn't really allow any slip. I was sat trying to join a roundabout the other day (one of those where you have to go for any gap you see or you'll be there all day) and it refused to move even on a light foot. :lol: The 125i used to allow a bit of slip so at least you could start to make progress
sounds like the system from the e46 M3 (probably taken and put on the normal e90s) - it just cut power when it slipped. The e92 M3 was the M dynamic Mode - which allowed complete sideways but gathered you up if you were in trouble.
That would make some sort of sense
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The 500e system feels the slip, sends some very slow electricity to an eprom chip, this says “oh no, xis iz not reccomend” then sends a fax to the ignition system which pops its glasses on and reads it. “Arghhh, nincompoop” pulls a large lever which disconnects the ignition on one bank of cylinders and retards the other side.

So you feel the revs rise, expect a little slip and then you headbutt the dash.

Sometimes the electricity takes a different route so you can’t even prepare for it.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Neither m3 have any form of it, the rc in the compact is actually pretty good just find of smoothly blends out the power. Not sure if it also gently brakes a spinning wheel too.

In the really deep snow a few years ago I was definitely able to make much more progress with it on than off. Kills the fun if you’re trying to slide it in the wet.

Both clk and x5 will cut all power leaving you lurching like a learner with no clutch control. Merc also does the merc thing of never actually being completely off, it will still turn itself back on if you try being silly.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Well the M135i has burbled off my drive for the last time. :( Have fun with it Beany.